Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack smith

Veteran
I did mine in primary school in a playground between cones i couldnt tell you if it was useful or not as i camt remember if i learned anything apart from i do remember learning how to indicate there though.

I didn't do one as I didn't have a bike as a kid (sad but true!)... BUT when my children where at school, I was shocked to find out they didn't it and with my pestering and help, we introduced it back to the school!!

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
When I was in the cub scouts around 35 years ago maybe.

But a valid point,
On roadies doing over 30-40 mph down hills with no training whatsoever or weaving about all over the road - poor positioning in the road.
There's loads more traffic now and we are probably a fair bit quicker than when we were kids. Perhaps we should do some sort of "basic skills" course from a safety point of view, especially for the newbies.

CUBE CRD

I did my cycling proficiency test in 1967. Part of it was in the school playground, but there was also an observed road section too.

I did something similar around 1982 or so.I wasn't around in '67 ;)

I did mine in 1960. 55 years ago!!

Glad to report that there have been several groups of youngsters having cycling lessons - on the road too - at the primary school opposite my house. Youngsters about 7 or 8, I guess, with an adult instructor at front and back. I think the leader said they were Department of Transport, but I'm not sure.

About 40 years ago, mind...

I've also got a motorbike licence - pretty good at making a car driver into a much more defensive rider, and some of it reads across to bicycles.

My CP about 50 years ago! I did the old RAC/Autocycle Union m/bike training course in about 1978 and it was the best road training I ever did. Especially the last look over the shoulder before turning rt. I do it in the car too. And on the bike/bent/hybrid.

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
1970 - Woodlands Road School playground. Halfway through there was a massive hailstorm but the examiner insisted that we stayed out there to finish the test. Git.

byegad

Legendary Member

But a valid point,
On roadies doing over 30-40 mph down hills with no training whatsoever or weaving about all over the road - poor positioning in the road.
There's loads more traffic now and we are probably a fair bit quicker than when we were kids. Perhaps we should do some sort of "basic skills" course from a safety point of view, especially for the newbies.

Speak for yourself, I'm much slower these days.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K

But a valid point,

I can't believe the vast majority don't have a car license (and possibly motorbike) and haven't received any kind of roadcraft training.

My CP about 50 years ago! I did the old RAC/Autocycle Union m/bike training course in about 1978 and it was the best road training I ever did. Especially the last look over the shoulder before turning rt. I do it in the car too. And on the bike/bent/hybrid.

The Lifesaver, so ingrained I sometimes do them walking in to shops...

1970 - Woodlands Road School playground. Halfway through there was a massive hailstorm but the examiner insisted that we stayed out there to finish the test. Git.

My wife failed her first motorbike test in bucketing rain. The examiner followed her in a car and failed her for hesitant riding because she held back some of the filtering through traffic lest she lose him completely. The day was topped by a local petrol station forcing her to use the night pay because they didn't want her walked inside the station in wet motorbike kit...

Top Bottom