Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No. I'm suing my parents for gross negligence.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I passed mine 49 year ago..
and also both parts of the motorbike test 26 years(approx)..
I still think I'm on a bike when I'm in a car or van and keep checking approaching junctions etc...
I don't have a car licence..

I cycled everywhere as a child, mostly using my sister's unused town-bike. By the time I realised there was such a thing as the Proficiency Test, I was told I was too old to do it ! After that (and finding out about girls and beer), I stopped cycling for decades, and only took it up again about 10 years ago. So I have no formal training.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've never done it, because my country doesn't support cycling. The OP's comment regarding the length of time since some motorists have passed their driving test is very appropriate. Motorists in Australia clearly think that once they've passed their driving test, they have a "right" to drive their cars in whatever manner they deem fit, until they shuffle off this mortal coil (and take a few pedestrians, cyclists, etc. with them). The notion of driving being a privilege is lost on some people.

Hyslop

Veteran
Not long ago I discovered the badge from my Proficiency course,as well as the pennant(bright yellow,Carlisle coat of arms)that came with it.Mainly I remember negotiating traffic cones,directed by our local Bobby,"Radio Raffles"-so called presumably because of his pocketphone,Cumbria Police probably having only just moved on from semaphore.What I do remember however was that it was fun,and its stayed that way.

When they did cycling proficiency I was not cycling to school

A couple of years later I started cycling to school, so never did it. I remember racing buses (bus used to overtake me but when it stopped I used to catch it up!)

BenM

Veteran
I failed on one section - the cycling slalom around some little wooden blocks - because at the time I was useless at cycling slowly. Not so bad at that now. Because that was all that I failed on I was allowed (by parents) to cycle on the road on my own from then onwards.
My test was administered in what was a car park behind the fire station. Said car park is now John Lewis' - which is more than enough clues as to where it was! As to when - must have been 1977/78ish - gosh in a couple or three years I will have been cycling on the roads for 40 years!

I did mine in the very early sixties when it was sponsored by the NEWS OF THE WORLD and became a member of the order of the
"KNIGHT's OF THE ROAD"

We even went to the local Town hall to receive our certificates , badges and bike transfers
Apart from the playground stuff we had to do a couple of mile circuit with marshal's/ judges watching to prove we could do it
That was over half a century ago
The roads were not as silly as they are now , Cyclists have been force to ride more defensively

doesn't time fly

regards emma

Levo-Lon

Guru
Passeb mine first time 1972 ish, passed my motrbike test first time and the car.
my wife used to teach the cycling proficiency to the local primary kids, she does like her han signals and bells..
funny as f on a mtb trail.lol

I remember it vaguely in the 70's at junior school, but I know I passed both my car license, and part one of my motorcycle license (also a Bronze Star I think scheme bit like C.B.T.) first time, car early mid 80's, Bronze Star was in 1980, part one of the M/C was late 80's, never went on to do part two, H.G.V. I passed on the second time, first time I think was nerves and I just didn't get on with the instructor I had, 2 fails + 2toted up fails, and 17minors which I think in itself was a fail, following week, I passed with 2 minors, theory test for HGV 34/35 not sure the hazard perception score, but I was told it was one of the highest (both parts) to pass through Gillingham, so I have a lot of road experience, one way or another..

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I found mine in my awards box in the loft. I have quite a strong memory of riding orotund the old Church School playground in Totnes. It is sheltered retirement flats now. One lad had spikey cage pedals which he struggled with as oddly we had to do some cycling with bare feet!

Top Bottom