having a wee when riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
For the average recreational cyclist this is all a bit of a non event, however if you are a woman in a long race where you have to stay well hydrated, stopping to empty your bladder becomes a bit problematical.
So, a question for our female members, what would you do?
Well, personally I will never race of course :smile: . For a sportive, stop. There is no way I would want to sit in a pair of cycling shorts if I've wet myself

Well, personally I will never race of course :smile: . For a sportive, stop. There is no way I would want to sit in a pair of cycling shorts if I've wet myself
Yes of course, but your reply illustrates my point. It is a subject not much talked about, if at all, even among women that race. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that dehydration on a long ride negates the problem, or words to that effect, obviously they do not race over long distance. Before a race that lasts for several hours you have to hydrate very well and this is where the problem lies, you usually nee to pee earlier in the ride rather than later. A tricky problem indeed.

fimm

Veteran
OP, go and find a triathlon forum, and you'll get lots of advice on how to pee while cycling (I do admit that trisuits have thinner pads than cycle shorts).

Here's one female racing cyclist's advice on how to pee (off the bike): http://marijndevries.nl/?p=4123 - but I've also read another female racer say that yes, they do just pee in their shorts. The first time I tried the technique I've just linked to, I was quite glad that it was raining... it requires a little bit of practice!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Stopping for a wee allows you to perform cycling's greatest magic trick... cycle out to the middle of nowhere, stop for a wee by a tree/gate/edge of field/etc and hey presto! 5 or 6 cars will appear from nowhere, usually including at least your neighbour, your kids' teacher, your aunty Mabel or any combination thereof. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Stopping for a wee allows you to perform cycling's greatest magic trick... cycle out to the middle of nowhere, stop for a wee by a tree/gate/edge of field/etc and hey presto! 5 or 6 cars will appear from nowhere, usually including at least your neighbour, your kids' teacher, your aunty Mabel or any combination thereof. :smile:
They also seem to know when you stop to change into shorts too:whistle:

Top Bottom