Having problems with Linux tryout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ok, so I have an ancient mp3 player that windows 10 can't even see. I know from past experience that Linux actually does better, but I'm having difficulty getting it to run. I downloaded an ISO file (Mint) and used it to burn a DVD, reset the bios, restarted, and got "default cd-rom boot selection no emulation image found". Just for the hell of it, I then burned the ISO onto a memory stick, tweaked bios, and tried again, only to get "No operating system found". I'm currently downloading another ISO file - Ubuntu this time - but if anyone has any bright ideas, I'm all ears. Many tas.

Either you're not burning the stick/dvd properly, or something's faulty. What software did you use to burn the stick? If the latest Rufus, did you make sure it was set to either "MBR and BIOS" or "GPT and UEFI". if an older PC, it must be the former, and if a more modern machine with a UEFI bios, it must be the latter. Not quite so certain why the dvd didn't worl, however.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks for responding. To answer your question, I used this:

http://www.isotousb.com/

...which at least seemed to work fine.

I just retried using Ubuntu, and like I say, the contents of the stick look kosher:

1629113349441.png

But the PC's still reporting 'no operating system found'.

:scratch:

Looking at that software, it doesn't give the options mentioned above, so may not be suitable. Try again with Rufus. Which system does the machine use? A simple way to tell: can you use a mouse with the BIOS settings? If yes, GPT/UEFI, if not, MBR/BIOS.

si_c

Guru
ISO to USB doesn't work with Linux, only Windows - which explains the latter problem, doesn't explain the DVD issue though.

I've heard good things about rufus, but never used it, I create all my images using Linux, which I appreciate is less than helpful. I've had Arch installed on the desktop since 2007 and the last time I installed it was when my laptop HDD died.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks - Rufus came up trumps! Computer still can't see the player, but ho hum. Appreciate your help.

si_c

Guru
Thanks - Rufus came up trumps! Computer still can't see the player, but ho hum. Appreciate your help.
Which player is it? Some of the older ones needed to be connected using software that understands them - they don't necessarily appear as a portable drive you can drag and drop music on.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Which player is it? Some of the older ones needed to be connected using software that understands them - they don't necessarily appear as a portable drive you can drag and drop music on.
Thanks but I suspect the player's beyond help - it's an ancient Creative Zen Touch - an excellent machine, but the firmware often does go a bit wonky after a time, and this is probably 15 years old. I have others of the same model that can be seen, no worries, but this one, no. I've seen it before, and there's really no cure, because any such would involve software transferred from a PC, but if the PC can't see the machine...

Thanks anyway.

si_c

Guru
Thanks but I suspect the player's beyond help - it's an ancient Creative Zen Touch - an excellent machine, but the firmware often does go a bit wonky after a time, and this is probably 15 years old. I have others of the same model that can be seen, no worries, but this one, no. I've seen it before, and there's really no cure, because any such would involve software transferred from a PC, but if the PC can't see the machine...

Thanks anyway.
Ah, I remember those! They use MTP to transfer data between the PC and the device, which is an old protocol no longer used. You could try Gnomad2 to see if that works, but you need to put the Zen into MTP mode.

Also worth checking on Linux is if you open a terminal and type "lsusb" - this will list all the USB devices that the system detects, it should include the Creative Zen in that list but you'll need to see.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ah, I remember those! They use MTP to transfer data between the PC and the device, which is an old protocol no longer used. You could try Gnomad2 to see if that works, but you need to put the Zen into MTP mode.

Also worth checking on Linux is if you open a terminal and type "lsusb" - this will list all the USB devices that the system detects, it should include the Creative Zen in that list but you'll need to see.
Thanks. I suspect the firmware's knackered beyond recovery. I have two others of the same model that talk to the computer quite happily, but that one just doesn't want to know. There comes a point, even when you're as cheap as I am, where you have to accept defeat with as much grace as you can muster. Thanks anyway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

MTP still in use in this household. Windows 10 supports it. I guess someone has written a MTP module in Linux as well.

Top Bottom