He didn't knock me off!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
magnatom said:
Goo, I'm the same, for every close pass that I post there are probably another 5 that I let pass. This one felf particularly close. If you watch the video you will see I turn and see him and swerve left a bit before he passes to get out of his way. Even then, I wouldn't have posted it if he hadn't made that idiotic comment (oh and it was the first time with the rear view camera!).
Is English your mother tongue? Do you know the meaning of the verb 'to swerve'? It means 'to turn aside abruptly in movement or direction; deviate suddenly from the straight or direct course.' You wobbled very, very slightly after he passed you.

mr_hippo said:
Is English your mother tongue?

No, he's Scottish.;)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
Goo, I'm the same, for every close pass that I post there are probably another 5 that I let pass. This one felf particularly close. If you watch the video you will see I turn and see him and swerve left a bit before he passes to get out of his way. Even then, I wouldn't have posted it if he hadn't made that idiotic comment (oh and it was the first time with the rear view camera!).

I really must get that review written....

It was worth it for the banter alone :tongue:

And I wasn't being critical in my post - any move that's close enough to make a seasoned commuter feel in danger is too close. And the camera perspective often makes things seem further away than they really are, so if it looks close on camera it's probably even closer 'in the flesh'.

Oh - and why does Mr Hippo feel the need to pop in every now and then and get really nippy and have a wee go at people ? Mr H - I think you need to get out of the other side of bed in the morning... ;)

PBancroft

TwickenhamCyclist said:
I’d be tempted to swing the old D-Lock a few inches from his face and then, when he complains, ask him what he’s moaning about as you “didn’t actually strike him” with it – another pointless overtake that saved him no time in the end.

I have told someone to stand in the middle of the road and let cars pass inches from them if they think that that is enough space.

I can't remember what the reply was. Probably something witty like "F_ck Off" or similar.

My mate "wasn't knocked off" yesterday. He didn't get a chance to ask for more room as she stopped the car and berated him for not getting out of her way (Er... what? If you're in that much of a rush love, why have you stopped?)

He quoted various parts of the Highway Code at her as you do, to which she replied "I'm your NEIGHBOUR!"

"Good," he said. "You'll know where to send the flowers to then." Apparently then she seemed to realise what she could've done and got back in her car.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mr_hippo said:
Is English your mother tongue? Do you know the meaning of the verb 'to swerve'? It means 'to turn aside abruptly in movement or direction; deviate suddenly from the straight or direct course.' You wobbled very, very slightly after he passed you.

;) Your name isn't Mark McKay is it :tongue:

andyfromotley

Tom youre taking things too far now!
index_3b.jpg

OP
OP
M

magnatom

shooter560 said:
I agree he was a little close, but by your own words this was probably only 1 in 5, and only posted as there was an exchange, I guess from this you have a pop at anyone you can if they pass you a little too close.

I know what its like, I also shout and swear at drivers, sometimes even goad them in to a reply or two, but 60 seconds later its all forgotten, I'm still here and yes it was close but not close enough to hit you so what's the problem?

That's the thing. I generally don't shout or swear. Have a look at my videos. I sometimes swear at the time of the incident (shock) but not at the drivers themselves. That's why this one was unusual. His comment about not knocking me off pi$$ed me off so I swore back (even then it was more dismissive than in anger).

I don't have a pop at drivers. They have a pop at me by endangering me by their driving (a small minority that is!)

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
It was worth it for the banter alone :tongue:

And I wasn't being critical in my post

Don't worry goo. I know you weren't being critical. Are you not one of the magnatom fan club, according to Mr_hippo? ;):smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

andyfromotley said:
Tom youre taking things too far now!
index_3b.jpg

:smile:

Marking the cars that pass to close with paint might not be such a bad idea.....;):tongue:

P.S. My name isn't Tom :smile:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
magnatom said:
I don't have a pop at drivers. They have a pop at me by endangering me by their driving (a small minority that is!)
Of course you don't. Who started the latest confrontation? I'll give you a clue - it wasn't the driver! No swerve. only a slight wobble as you would expect when a faster moving van passes you.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I always want to knock on the car as they pass too close and then explain that if they are passing close enough for me to do that then they are too close - only trouble is that in therory this sounds great but in practice surely trying it out would only serve to knock you off anyway?!

I was pulling out this morning around a car that was parked badly and had his reverse lights on. A bit hazardous to say the least. There was a golf behind me DESPERATE to get to the queue by the traffic lights in front and so he went past me really really close as I was overtaking the parked car. Close enough to make me have to actually stop and put my foot down I wobbled that much (and I don't usually wobble). I gestured my hand at him in a "what are you doing" type of gesture - he put his hazards on once and then drove off - what the f**k does that mean?!

I gave him the finger - hopefully he knows what that means!

Childish I know but "letting it go" when they come soooo close to hurting you is just too difficult I'm afraid!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

mr_hippo said:
Of course you don't. Who started the latest confrontation? I'll give you a clue - it wasn't the driver! No swerve. only a slight wobble as you would expect when a faster moving van passes you.

So who is starting this confrontation?

Yes I spoke to him. What did say? I pointed out how close he passed. Had I not said anything he would never have know. I have had drivers in the past who have apologised and said they didn't realise. It can and does make a difference. However, you also get the idiots like this guy who just make stupid remarks.

In fact, might I suggest that you are in the same league as this guy. You say I confront people. What have you done, every single time you have come onto one of my threads? Have you ever made a positive comment? Anything constrictive? No. Not only is what you say never constructive, it generally nitpicks at stupid little things like the definition of the word swerve!

You never post on my threads except to argue, moan and complain. Never a nice word, you never post on any of my other non video threads. You are a troll my friend and I can't be bothered feeding you any more.

Goodbye Mr_hippo

shooter560 said:
I agree he was a little close, but by your own words this was probably only 1 in 5, and only posted as there was an exchange, I guess from this you have a pop at anyone you can if they pass you a little too close.

I know what its like, I also shout and swear at drivers, sometimes even goad them in to a reply or two, but 60 seconds later its all forgotten, I'm still here and yes it was close but not close enough to hit you so what's the problem?

Thanks Shooter – I’ve just had three goes at removing the "ant" from my laptop screen before I realised ;)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm with you on this. I've always tried to think ahead; if a car passes too closely and if I catch them up, I'm very willing to be polite and just say "I don't know if you realized back there but you passed me very closely..... could you give cyclists a bit more room please?". I have to believe sometimes motorists do overtake you too closely without malicious intent, and that politely telling them might be better than a confrontational approach.

Mind you, as my previous thread "losing it" indicates, it's only too easy to lose it as well. Sometimes stupidity regardless of intent is just a bridge too far.....

the reluctant cyclist said:
I always want to knock on the car as they pass too close and then explain that if they are passing close enough for me to do that then they are too close - only trouble is that in therory this sounds great but in practice surely trying it out would only serve to knock you off anyway?!

I gave him the finger - hopefully he knows what that means!

Childish I know but "letting it go" when they come soooo close to hurting you is just too difficult I'm afraid!

Top Bottom