Headset advice - SOLVED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
I have changed the stem on my 2014 Genesis Volant. As a result I now have a very slight looseness through the headset and I don't know why. It was not there before the change (so it is not the bearing wear). Nor is it like that Volkswagen ad, where something else is loose. The only different I can find is that the depth of the collar on the new stem is just over 3.5 cms long whereas the other one was just under 4cms long. The difference is not enough to add another spacer nor does it affect screwing the top cap. I know on old bikes, you sometimes had to push something back up from between the forks to re attach but nothing falls out on new bikes so I assume that is now redundant.

Suggestions please you knowledgeable people.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
All I can think of is that the top cap is hitting the end of the steerer tube when tightening it. Another spacer may well be needed. Try it.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Have you got a tapered head tube / steerer, and similar bearings?
Not sure of the answer so here is a pic of that make
v.jpg
/model.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
You have a Tapered head tube / steerer and similar bearings then I think. You need a 1-1-1/8, tapered set up. I reckon you may actually have a 1-1/8 on both ends.
All I did was change the stem so I don't see where what you have said fits in? I know bits about bikes but not that much!

All I did was change the stem so I don't see where what you have said fits in? I know bits about bikes but not that much!
Okay, if you’ve only changed the stem, and not the bearings, then I can only think it’s down to tolerances. The new stem isn’t quite right for the old steerer. Try putting a 3 mm spacer on top of the stem.

robgul

Legendary Member
Some top caps have quite a deep internal flange and that may be bottoming out on the top of the steerer tube but not be obvious that it is - as suggested above try putting a thin spacer in if you have one.

AND - did you have the collar and tapered collar on the upper part of the headset out - or did they move (i.e. the forks dropping in the frame)? - it may be that the tapered collar isn't pulling down well enough to lock the position on the pre-load. Worth checking.

Rob

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Okay, if you’ve only changed the stem, and not the bearings, then I can only think it’s down to tolerances. The new stem isn’t quite right for the old steerer. Try putting a 3 mm spacer on top of the stem.
Already tried that, no change. Thinking about putting the old one back as a test....the new one looks so much better though!

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Some top caps have quite a deep internal flange and that may be bottoming out on the top of the steerer tube but not be obvious that it is - as suggested above try putting a thin spacer in if you have one.

AND - did you have the collar and tapered collar on the upper part of the headset out - or did they move (i.e. the forks dropping in the frame)? - it may be that the tapered collar isn't pulling down well enough to lock the position on the pre-load. Worth checking.

Rob
The forks dropped when stem loosened. I am wondering if re-doing it with bike upside down will help, gravity aided.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It sound's like it's just a set up issue. It may be the shorter new stem is a little too short and the top cap is bottoming out as mentioned.

I'd go back through the adjustment again and see if you can get rid of the looseness. If not, try a small spacer above. As long as there's some steerer for it to centre on, then it doesn't matter if the spacer sticks up above the top of the steerer. It isn't load bearing after the stem is clamped up.

I'm sure you know how to do this, but for others looking in, this video seems to cover it quite well: -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RHkdRePa8

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
It sound's like it's just a set up issue. It may be the shorter new stem is a little too short and the top cap is bottoming out as mentioned.

I'd go back through the adjustment again and see if you can get rid of the looseness. If not, try a small spacer above. As long as there's some steerer for it to centre on, then it doesn't matter if the spacer sticks up above the top of the steerer. It isn't load bearing after the stem is clamped up.

I'm sure you know how to do this, but for others looking in, this video seems to cover it quite well: -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2RHkdRePa8

Yes, I understand and can do that but I will look at the video anyhow - never know what I may learn.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Problem solved. It was just a matter of applying more pressure. This I did by turning the bike upside down without the front wheel. It was easier to press down up this way. My good lady tightened the bolt for me.
Thanks to all you contributors.

Top Bottom