Health & Safety inspector required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matiz

Guru
Where there's a will theres way
IMG-20180421-WA0005.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That's pretty cool.^^^^^^

Give the guy a cigar.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 5261051, member: 21629"]Couple of years ago one company started to build new houses in a residential street next to ours. Though it's not skyscrapers. I've got quite a few pics of builders walking on roofs without any PPE (just hi-viz and safety shoes). I'm not a builder so maybe it's normal though people working with buildings in High Street always wear full PPE.[/QUOTE]

PPE is last line of defence . We have just normalised the use of hi viz. it was initially brought in so pedestrians could be seen on vehicle routes on site , as though we can segregate massively there will sjwsys be points of interaction .

On a roof what are the benefits of

1) hi viz
2) hard hat

The other3 items of PPE generally worn gloves , glasses and safety boots - yes there is a good reason for them ( boots maybe not so much )

Roof edge protection is the best ( collective) then fall restraint harness , then fall arrest .

There are other methods but they tend not to be reasonably practicable ( difference in legislation between must and should)

screenman

Legendary Member
When I was 18 and just married I had a job as an ariel rigger, we only had a few roof ladders between the 10 vans going out of the yard each morning, I certainly cannot ever remember using one. Still got the scar down the front of my shin where I missed my footing stepping from roof to ladder, I hit the floor with a large thud, which would have been fine had not my leg decided to get stuck in the ladder on the way down.

Nowadays, well I am glad we do not wear platform shoes anymore as they would be too high for my head for heights.

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
I don't think the guy in the video would get away with it in this country, but there are a couple of uses of PPE that I considered unnecessary (IMO) one is the wearing of helmets when its blatantly obvious they are not needed and don't provide any protection for the task being carried out, and likewise the blanket use of safety glasses, because they are needed in one area they are redundant in other areas and sometimes an inderance, I am sure someone will defend wearing them all the time and it gets you into the habit, but what happened to common sense.

Drago

Legendary Member
I like hard hats. Watching Meet the Ancestors a while back, and Tony Robinson and his chums sagely don hard hats to step into an 18" deep excavation. I mean, what were they thinking might happen? Spacecraft re-entry? A Luftwaffe straffing run? A falling ACME brand anvil?

This mindless use of PPE where it isn't necessary has become a substitute for engaging brain, and lack of forethought is what causes the blooming accidents in the first place.

Tim Hall

When I was 18 and just married I had a job as an ariel rigger, we only had a few roof ladders between the 10 vans going out of the yard each morning, I certainly cannot ever remember using one. Still got the scar down the front of my shin where I missed my footing stepping from roof to ladder, I hit the floor with a large thud, which would have been fine had not my leg decided to get stuck in the ladder on the way down.

Nowadays, well I am glad we do not wear platform shoes anymore as they would be too high for my head for heights.
When I was a Penniless Student Oaf I had a summer job working with a plumber. We had a job replacing the flashing on a chimney. Up the ladder at the gable end of the roof, then edge along the ridge to the chimney. Not much scaffolding that I can recall. "If you feel yourself going Timmy, kick your feet through the tiles."

GM

Legendary Member
Glad I'm out of the building game now, I used to hate having to wear a Desi.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Remember the Fred Dibnah programmes where he railed against the Insurance (& HS people) who wanted him to wear hard-hats on top of the chimney..............

And his phrase about being careful up there

View attachment 411766

Fred had a safety flat cap.

During my time at BT one of our engineers was sadly killed while working at a roadside cabinet. At a H&S meeting one of the senior managers commented that he hadn't been wearing the correct High Vis jacket. I can still hear the jeers he received and the questions about how it would have saved the engineers life.

Last edited:
During my time at BT one of our engineers was sadly killed while working at a roadside cabinet. At a H&S meeting one of the senior managers commented that he hadn't been wearing the correct High Vis jacket. I can still hear the jeers he received and the questions about how it would have saved the engineers life.

Likewise, all the Road Traffic Police/recovery services staff, who have been wiped out at the side of a road, despite their vehicles warning lights/retro-reflective decals

winjim

Smash the cistern
I was watching Pablo, a kiddies' cartoon the other day. One of the characters wanted to drive the bus. But you need a high-vis jacket to drive the bus.

Drago

Legendary Member
Fred had a safety flat cap.

The DfT's own research showed no reduction in roadworkers casualties attributable to the wearing of hi his. As has been alluded above, these folk tend to get run over because the offenders aren't looking, not because they didn't see. You would have been quote justified in taping this chaps briefcase to a chair, using several dozen reels of tape.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of my sons works in H&S and was sent to China by his company who had a contract there to set up H&S systems. All well and good but he soon discovered that as soon as his back was turned they reverted to their old ways. Safety was not a high priority to them it seems.

Top Bottom