Health & Safety inspector required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The DfT's own research showed no reduction in roadworkers casualties attributable to the wearing of hi his. As has been alluded above, these folk tend to get run over because the offenders aren't looking, not because they didn't see. You would have been quote justified in taping this chaps briefcase to a chair, using several dozen reels of tape.

So you have a link for this, I would be interested in seeing it ?

Drago

Legendary Member
I did, actually. Will hunt about later.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Most people work to the level of risk that they are comfortable with. I certainly do. Personally, I find a lot of PPE impossible to work with. Eye protection that doesn't let you see what you are doing clearly. Dust masks that fog up your glasses etc. Blade guards on saws that obstruct your view. Fortunately, working in a tiny company, I've only ever had to take responsibility for my own safety, not that of others, and I've regularly cut corners and had some hairy moments.

Yes H&S on building sites is an excellent idea, of course.

subaqua

What’s the point
Most people work to the level of risk that they are comfortable with. I certainly do. Personally, I find a lot of PPE impossible to work with. Eye protection that doesn't let you see what you are doing clearly. Dust masks that fog up your glasses etc. Blade guards on saws that obstruct your view. Fortunately, working in a tiny company, I've only ever had to take responsibility for my own safety, not that of others, and I've regularly cut corners and had some hairy moments.

Yes H&S on building sites is an excellent idea, of course.

Lets do some debunking

1) if your eye protection doesnt let you see properly, its incorrect .. how do you think us specs wearers see....
2) dust masks that fog glasses mean they are not fitted correctly , terefore not providing protection - a good face fit mask is worth its weight in gold- I did a lot of work on a GRP hull a few weeks ago and my mate who helped me was astounded that my mask didnt fog my glasses up
maxresdefault.jpg

having used circular saws , cut off saws and table saws since i was in school , I cant say i found guards obstructing view an issue . Health and safety is an excellent idea everywhere, if its done properly . its when its done half assed the problems arise.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lets do some debunking

1) if your eye protection doesnt let you see properly, its incorrect .. how do you think us specs wearers see....
2) dust masks that fog glasses mean they are not fitted correctly , terefore not providing protection - a good face fit mask is worth its weight in gold- I did a lot of work on a GRP hull a few weeks ago and my mate who helped me was astounded that my mask didnt fog my glasses up View attachment 411897

having used circular saws , cut off saws and table saws since i was in school , I cant say i found guards obstructing view an issue . Health and safety is an excellent idea everywhere, if its done properly . its when its done half assed the problems arise.
I'm not saying that PPE is bad, just that I find some of it inconvenient. I have a cartridge respirator but I don't use it because its ridiculously uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather. I've also got a positive pressure Racal helmet but I find that the visor impedes vision when doing delicate work. As you will know, there are some cuts you simply can't make with the blade guard on. Do what suits you.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I’m NEBOSH qualified and this little mnemonic is useful to remember in the work place:

ERIC Prevents Death

E= Eliminate. Can you eliminate the risk entirely?.

R= Reduce. Can you reduce it?.

I= Isolate. Can you at least isolate it?.

C= Control measures (safety fences, signs etc)

PPE = Hi-viz, safet boots, glasses etc.

D= Discipline – educate yourself, follow the rules etc.

H&S often gets a bad press, in my opinion, down to daft journalists writing rubbish in tabloid rags (Daily Wail is the worst).
Stay safe out there people:okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
During my recent orthopaedic session to help with my lower back pain the brute assaulting my back mentioned that during the 20 or so years he's been doing it, his clients have changed completely - what was once a stream of builders and mechanics has been entirely replaced by desk-jockeys. "Health & Safety legislation has worked - big time. Manual workers hardly ever turn up these days - it's basically people like you with desk jobs and poor posture."

subaqua

What’s the point
I’m NEBOSH qualified and this little mnemonic is useful to remember in the work place:

ERIC Prevents Death

E= Eliminate. Can you eliminate the risk entirely?.

R= Reduce. Can you reduce it?.

I= Isolate. Can you at least isolate it?.

C= Control measures (safety fences, signs etc)

PPE = Hi-viz, safet boots, glasses etc.

D= Discipline – educate yourself, follow the rules etc.

H&S often gets a bad press, in my opinion, down to daft journalists writing rubbish in tabloid rags (Daily Wail is the worst).
Stay safe out there people:okay:

oooh oooh sir sir I can do safety mnemonics that are similar , learned them on my IOSH 11 years ago

ECRISP Eliminate, Control , remove , isolate , substitute, protective equipment

PIGSRISE PPE ,Information, Guards, safesystems of work, reduce, Isolate, Substitute, Eliminate . the reverse order is the correct hierarchy of approach

ERIC PD is the best though

subaqua

What’s the point
I'm not saying that PPE is bad, just that I find some of it inconvenient. I have a cartridge respiratior but I don't use it because its ridiculously uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather. I've also got a positive pressure Racal helmet but I find that the visor impedes vision when doing delicate work. As you will know, there are some cuts you simply can't make with the blade guard on. Do what suits you.

i wore the one I linked to in that heatwave a few weeks ago , not a problem .

the pos pressure ones, yes , they do impede vision for some cuts , will grant you that.

i couldnt comment about not using guards :becool::becool:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Health and safety has turned the young into a load of pussies.
Are cats particularly timid? That's a new one on me.

If you're referring to women, that's a nice compliment - turning the young into a set of people who take sensible precautions to take care of their own safety and that of others. But I prefer not to be referred to as a 'pussie', if you don't mind.

Top Bottom