Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
If you really want to improve 10 tt times, you would be better off avoiding longer rides. Stick to rides of upto about an hour at a good pace and incorporate some speed intervals into your training as well . I have to confess I am not disciplined enough or keen enough on tt's to stick to that sort of regime, but that is the advice I was given buy some very quick testers.
Yeah I get you, I just fancied a "big un"! Most of my rides are around 30 I guess. since starting TT's my ride distance has dropped a lot and sometimes I miss the bigger rides.

screenman

Legendary Member
Same here mate . First year and loving it ! Just annoyed that i cant go faster and the thing stopping me is my legs .
Well done on 5th !

Your legs are certainly not the things slowing you down. Not sure why you are not answering the questions.

screenman

Legendary Member
Although not as good as a PM a HRM is better than nothing. Boardman did quite well using one.

I suggest the OP gets hold of the little red book by Peter Read, maybe slightly dated by now but I know a lot of people both fast and slow improved by following it.

Fast give you strong heart, long and steady a big heart, as a cyclist we want both. I was told, not by a fast mate but by a good quality coach.

Citius

[
Although not as good as a PM a HRM is better than nothing. Boardman did quite well using one.

HRM is definitely better than nothing, but it is still utterly useless as a training aid if you don't know how to use it correctly.

Fast give you strong heart, long and steady a big heart, as a cyclist we want both. I was told, not by a fast mate but by a good quality coach.

To be fair, you don't need to be a coach - 'good quality' or otherwise - to know that.

ayceejay

Guru
From your first post cuchillo I would say that you are working from an incorrect calculation of your personal zones and this is where you should start. There are published methods of arriving at your maximum heart rate or your lactate threshold that may be more useful given what you are training for. Also I think a HRM is a useful training tool but not as a guide on the day of the event. this is where you put to use what you have learned from your training.
The 'big leg' thing is a bit of a red herring and the hurt that stops your legs is probably your inability to cope with lactic acid and you can change this through training. Please don't get citius started on leg strength again:smile:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm pretty sure i have the zones correct . I went for a couple of rides today to look at some work on the defy and managed to stay in zone 2 quite easy . I guess the TT bike isn't the best bike to do zone 2 training on . I'll have another look at them and see if i can change a few things to suit me .

Citius

So what is your HR when you first sit on the bike, no cheating.

Why is it relevant to know an HR number when he isn't exercising?

screenman

Legendary Member
Why is it relevant to know an HR number when he isn't exercising?

It gives a slight indication of his fitness, mine is around 55 sitting on the bike.

If sitting still is in the nineties would you say fitness is maybe a slight problem.

Citius

It gives a slight indication of his fitness, mine is around 55 sitting on the bike.

If sitting still is in the nineties would you say fitness is maybe a slight problem.

I would say that it doesn't matter a single jot what his HR does when he is not stressing his CV system. The fact that he is still alive is good evidence that he has no major cardiac issues, and HR is so variable day-to-day and so particular to individuals anyway, so the only real issue is where his HR is when under load.

Tin Pot

Guru
I went for a gentle spin on the TT bike today with the aim of trying Z2 training . No chance of me doing that ! I'd fall off the bloody bike going that slow and my heart rate goes above that just thinking about riding !
Z3-4 seemed an easy pace and I tried my best not to push it as I have a 25 in the morning .
I have my resting and max heart rate so I'm pretty sure I've got the zones right . Anyone else train at Z2 ?

The thread is filled with bickering so I'll go back to the beginning and ignore the rest.

Z2 training is easy - once you've spent time getting used to it. On a bike it is easier to stay in Z2 than when running, riding is *generally* 10bpm slower for the same output as running.

Ther are many ways to calculate heart rates, the method I use to determine my Max heart rate is through a treadmill flat out for twenty minutes. Or flat out the last twenty minutes of a run. This is "dizzy and/or sick" flat out.

I then note my max observed heart rate throughout my training - even climbing 25% gradients I've not observed my max on a bike, but only about five beats off.

I then calculate zones as a percentage of my max.
Here's a calculator that shows the many methods output:
http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp

Training in zone 2 is not supposed to feel hard work, the point is that relatively gentle exercise over time builds your strength and endurance better than beating yourself up every time. This way, when it comes to a race you are more likely to do better.

As usual, most people's intuitive approach to work out as hard as they can is wrong.

Unless you've done an appropriate test, I doubt your Garmin knows your real max heart rate.

Last edited:

50000tears

I would say that it doesn't matter a single jot what his HR does when he is not stressing his CV system. The fact that he is still alive is good evidence that he has no major cardiac issues, and HR is so variable day-to-day and so particular to individuals anyway, so the only real issue is where his HR is when under load.

Have to agree with this. My resting HR is 48 but just before I set off on my ride it is often around 90, excited for the ride I guess. . Easy pace on the flat is around the same.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have hit my max a few times at the top end of a hill climb race. The other times were whilst being tested by a cycling coach.

screenman

Legendary Member

Tell me how many fit racing cyclist which he hopes to become would have a HR of 90+ just putting their leg over the cross bar, I can answer that for you, none.

Top Bottom