Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

Tell me how many fit racing cyclist which he hopes to become would have a HR of 90+ just putting their leg over the cross bar, I can answer that for you, none.

You sound very certain. I would have absolutely no idea - for the reasons that both myself and @50000tears suggest. Non-exercise HR is an irrelevant measure in this context.

Tin Pot

Guru
I converted to Ben Greenfields method last year, which makes more sense for a lot of reasons. I've seen a few triathletes prefer this method too:

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/03/how-heart-rate-zones-work/
Z1 70-76% LTHR
Z2 77-85%
Z3 86-95%
Z4 96-103%
Z5 104+

Basically it simplifies the whole thing, for my training I'm either aiming for Z2 or Z4, I don't need to worry about the rest.

screenman

Legendary Member
I converted to Ben Greenfields method last year, which makes more sense for a lot of reasons. I've seen a few triathletes prefer this method too:

You need to know what rate to take the percentage from. Or am I wrong on that.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/03/how-heart-rate-zones-work/
Z1 70-76% LTHR
Z2 77-85%
Z3 86-95%
Z4 96-103%
Z5 104+

Basically it simplifies the whole thing, for my training I'm either aiming for Z2 or Z4, I don't need to worry about the rest.

Citius

I trained and raced in the years that a HRM was the only option, I just looked around and learned.

I did the same. But I never paid any regard to what other people's HR were doing, cos it was irrelevant. A qood quality coach told me that.

screenman

Legendary Member
I noticed that riders on the line with a low HR were more likely to win than those ticking over higher.

The coach bit was to counter a mate of a mates sisters cousin.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I'm baffled by all this HR stuff, I'm a newbie so I guess I'll learn, I only have to think about doing a TT and my heart rate soars! When I'm actually doing one I seem to settle down and ride more according to my breathing - as hard as I can relative to how much air I can shift.

I noticed that riders on the line with a low HR were more likely to win than those ticking over higher.

There's truth in that, I've not looked at it closely but Ive known a few cyclists who are quite a bit younger than me but have a lower hr and are great riders (well compared to me anyway) ;-)

50000tears

Whilst a lower resting HR can be a trait, and has been, of some of the best endurance cyclists and athletes alike we may be a bit at cross purposes here. The original question from yourself was what a persons HR was when stepping over a bike. I was just pointing out that my HR can be a little elevated in that situation regardless of fitness. The fact that I can cruise along at a reasonable speed with it much the same suggests that this is not any good way to define a persons fitness.

I am not the best example of course as my fitness still has a long way to go, but in using a HRM for the last year I can be happy that I have become a lot more efficient over that time in fitness terms. My standing over the bike HR doesn't change much but as I can now climb hills in zone 2 that used to send me into zone 5 I must still be progressing.

ayceejay

Guru
It may be useful to define 'heart rate' so that we understand what the numbers mean
Heart rate, also known as pulse, is the number of times a person's heart beats per minute. A normal heart rate depends on the individual, age, body size, heart conditions, whether the person is sitting or moving, medication use and even air temperature.
When a person is at rest, that is like you have just woken up in the morning a heart rate of 60 bpm is considered normal.
A trained athlete has the ability to move blood around the body efficiently with a lower heart rate than an untrained person and some cyclist have a heart rate that would be considered dangerous in anyone else. Before embarking on a quest to improve in this area it would be a good idea to eliminate any medical problems.

Citius

Seriously, I think we can put the 'heart rate' down as understood already. Even cuchilo probably gets that...

screenman

Legendary Member
Whilst a lower resting HR can be a trait, and has been, of some of the best endurance cyclists and athletes alike we may be a bit at cross purposes here. The original question from yourself was what a persons HR was when stepping over a bike. I was just pointing out that my HR can be a little elevated in that situation regardless of fitness. The fact that I can cruise along at a reasonable speed with it much the same suggests that this is not any good way to define a persons fitness.

I am not the best example of course as my fitness still has a long way to go, but in using a HRM for the last year I can be happy that I have become a lot more efficient over that time in fitness terms. My standing over the bike HR doesn't change much but as I can now climb hills in zone 2 that used to send me into zone 5 I must still be progressing.

You will find as your fitness imroves more your stepover rate will decrease. The line below of ayceejay is my point.

"A trained athlete has the ability to move blood around the body efficiently with a lower heart rate than an untrained person."

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm baffled by all this HR stuff, I'm a newbie so I guess I'll learn, I only have to think about doing a TT and my heart rate soars! When I'm actually doing one I seem to settle down and ride more according to my breathing - as hard as I can relative to how much air I can shift.

Which might be fine during a time trial, but is not the most effective way to train for a time trial.

Tin Pot

Guru
You need to know what rate to take percentages from.

Yes, this was a continuation of my previous post. Determine your max, or Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR) from the test I described.

It's much easier to maintain what your LTHR is than to go get a lab condition VO2 Max every few months.

Top Bottom