Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
Citius: I have attempted to explore what may not be as clear to others as it is to you although I am not convinced that you know everything which is what your attitude implies - hence the Twain quote.
I am now sure that any conversation with you in it will go no further than what you so arrogantly claim to be self evident. Others on this thread have expressed concerns about how best to use the information they get from a HRM and you have gone out of your way to ridicule them, what is the point of this?

Citius

Citius: I have attempted to explore what may not be as clear to others as it is to you although I am not convinced that you know everything which is what your attitude implies - hence the Twain quote.

I don't claim to know everything. But I know enough to understand that 'standover HR' is a completely random, made-up thing, not to mention a massive distraction. I have asked you to explain how such a thing might be useful, but you don't seem able. Until then, I will dismiss it as 'not relevant.

I am now sure that any conversation with you in it will go no further than what you so arrogantly claim to be self evident. Others on this thread have expressed concerns about how best to use the information they get from a HRM and you have gone out of your way to ridicule them, what is the point of this?

I haven't ridiculed anyone on this thread, except the OP - from whom I requested some clarification in order to try to help him, and all I got in return was a shameful display of stubborn arrogance. Oh, and I also ridiculed you, but we already know that. Generally, I will ridicule anyone who I believe is talking unsubstantiated bollox. When I say ridicule - what I obviously mean is 'clarification'. If you take it as 'ridicule', then that is an issue for you, not me.

If you want me to take you seriously, start proving otherwise.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Such definitive knowledge is to be admired.
If we are aiming for a low heart rate so that we can sustain the effort in an endurance event knowing what else elevates the heart rate besides the actual exercise would be useful to know.
I am assuming we are in agreement that an elevated heart rate means that the heart is working harder?

This is indeed interesting, and thankfully, and finally, a different question entirely.

Infection, caffeine, fatigue, stress, these are but some of the known external factors that can effect heart rate. These have been and are still being studied.

If you train to heart rate regularly I've heard that you might even detect illness before other symptoms arise. I've noticed coffee and hangovers markedly effect the HR.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just put him on ignore mate . He seems to have a free pass from the mods to turn every thread he decides into shoot :rolleyes:
I went out today to try a bit of zone 2 training after using the calculator provided earlier . I've adjusted my zones accordingly and used the road bike , it was a lot easier to stay in zone 2 low zone 3 .
Not sure i will be able to do that on the TT bike though as its sooooo much fun going fast :hyper:
I also realized why my magic standover BPM was high . My clothes are upstairs in the wardrobe but my riding gear is downstairs in the kitchen .

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
This is indeed interesting, and thankfully, and finally, a different question entirely.

Infection, caffeine, fatigue, stress, these are but some of the known external factors that can effect heart rate. These have been and are still being studied.

If you train to heart rate regularly I've heard that you might even detect illness before other symptoms arise. I've noticed coffee and hangovers markedly effect the HR.

So if you take you HR at the same pre ride point it will give you an idea of any problems. Overtraining, illness etc. As you say will show up in my experience.

Citius

Just put him on ignore mate . He seems to have a free pass from the mods to turn every thread he decides into shoot :rolleyes:

Unlike you, I haven't said anything 'shoot' on this thread. But you wouldn't know that, because you aren't listening and I'm on ignore. If you put people on ignore because they ask you 'difficult' questions, then don't complain when the only answers you see on your computer screen are utter bollox from people talking about 'standover HR'...

Last edited:

Citius

So if you take you HR at the same pre ride point it will give you an idea of any problems. Overtraining, illness etc. As you say will show up in my experience.

Realistically, all an elevated HR will tell you is that your HR is elevated. It might be a portent of impending illness, or it might be nothing of the sort. A cardiologist wouldn't be able to predict anything specific like that, so what chance has anyone else got? The list of possibilities is simply too big for an elevated HR to tell you anything of any actionable value.

Citius

So we have a couple of might be to think about then.

I would suggest only thinking about things that matter in relation to HR - like getting your MHR or LTHR nailed and then setting some appropriate zones according to whatever training plan you may be following. I only ever had three zones based on %MHR, below 75%, 75-85% and 85-91%. Any efforts much above 90% can't really be measured reliably as they tend to be short duration and HR lag means you will never get a reliable reading anyway.

screenman

Legendary Member
Not disagreeing there. But I know my heart far better than you do, and if it is 10 beats up when throwing my leg over the bike and sitting still for 30 seconds something is not right with me.

Also a cyclist standing still with a HR of 90 plus is either not as fit as they could be or something else is not right, as you mentioned earlier. Either way they may need looking at.

Citius

We will have to differ there. I no longer train with HR, so I therefore have no idea if my HR is 75, 90 or 110 before I get on the bike. It doesn't matter, and consequently, it doesn't stop me going for a ride - along with the many other millions of cyclists who don't monitor HR.

Cyclists running off to the docs whenever their HR is 10bpm over is probably the reason why the GP service is on the verge of collapse.

screenman

Legendary Member
We will have to differ there. I no longer train with HR, so I therefore have no idea if my HR is 75, 90 or 110 before I get on the bike. It doesn't matter, and consequently, it doesn't stop me going for a ride - along with the many other millions of cyclists who don't monitor HR.

Cyclists running off to the docs whenever their HR is 10bpm over is probably the reason why the GP service is on the verge of collapse.

I do use a Garmin with the HE showing, I do not run off to the doctors, what would be the point as we have a 5 week wait to see one at the moment.

Why do you have to insult people with your posts, I sure am glad that you never coached myself.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was not being ironic, that is the current wait here.

Your insinuation that somebody who uses a HR guide would waste NHS time.

Tin Pot

Guru

This clearly does not follow from my posts.

This is, was and will always, be wrong.

End.

Top Bottom