Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I think ive started slow twiching :eek:

Citius

I was not being ironic, that is the current wait here.

I said (rather tongue in cheek) the GP service was on the verge of collapse. You said you wouldn't run off to the docs as there's a 5-week wait. The irony was that you inadvertently confirmed my comment. Did you not get that?

Your insinuation that somebody who uses a HR guide would waste NHS time.

If they took your advice on this thread then they almost certainly would be doing just that.

Tin Pot

Guru
I think ive started slow twiching :eek:

:smile:

Tin Pot, a Japanese master during the Meiji era(1868-1912), received Screenman who came to inquire about HR.
Tin Pot served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.
Screenman watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"
"Like this cup," Tin Pot said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you HR unless you first empty your cup?"

screenman

Legendary Member
You have kept saying I am wrong but failed to educate me properly. I will happily say I only know what I was told by coaches in the eighties, who could have course been since proved wrong.

Now explain please.

Tin Pot

Guru
You can't ask people to prove something based on a factor nobody agrees with.

No one thinks valid or uses "step over rate" - if you want to put together a logical argument and a scientific paper on why this rate is a valid measure of anything, then we can respond.

Until then, the rest of the world will use resting heart rate, lactate threshold and VO2 max.

Citius

Was that a lesson coach?

What I think Tin Pot is trying to tell you is that it is pointless trying to educate you until you abandon this absurd 'standover HR' and "oh-oh, 10 beats over - better call 999" nonsense. Some of Cuchilo's stuff actually starts to look sensible when compared to that.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
This is a pretty nice route i have mapped out for my self for a Sunday ride . https://www.strava.com/activities/358736044
Would it help for me to do it at Z2 and use the hills to go flat out or just miss the hills ?

Citius

Would it help for me to do it at Z2 and use the hills to go flat out or just miss the hills ?

That would depend entirely on what your training objectives are. Not sure what you think you are going to achieve by riding everywhere at 13mph.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
The funny thing is, I ask a question "If your SOR goes up to 120 on race day we can put this down to anxiety or excitement but if it is a constant 91 every day what does this mean? You go from 59 to 91 just dressing and preparing for a ride - is this an indicator of anything, especially if it goes down or stays the same when you start to ride." and Citius asks me to prove that my question is valid. Does this make sense?
Those aware of the subtleties of language may spot that I am not making a statement that this is indeed a signifier of something relevant to training with a heart rate meter but asking if there is anything we can learn from someones observation that their heart rate goes up as they sit on their bike.

Citius

As people have repeatedly told you - there is nothing to be inferred from that. So just to be clear, the answer to your question is 'no'.

'Stand over HR' appears to be an unexplored area of sports science, so perhaps you should research it and come up with a discussion paper on it. Until then, as I said before, we can dismiss it as 'not relevant'.

Next week: the team will discuss whether clipping in your right foot before your left has an impact on HR. The phrase we will use is clip-in HR'...

Sorry for my flippant replies, but this really is an absurd discussion. I got accused earlier of trying to derail the thread. Ironically, the thread is now fully off the rails thanks to this ridiculous 'stand over' nonsense....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Went for a 44 mile ride today and rode pretty hard . After adjusting my zones i averaged zone 3 . Quite surprised by that but i did get lost a couple of times so stopped a couple of times plus adding traffic etc .

ayceejay

Guru
There does seem to be a disconnect in Cuchillo's understanding of heart rate training Citius and this latest is an example. I did try to introduce some basics that you called 'truisms' but I am at a loss to understand what After adjusting my zones i averaged zone 3 could mean.

Top Bottom