Heart training zones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

50000tears

Went for a 44 mile ride today and rode pretty hard . After adjusting my zones i averaged zone 3 . Quite surprised by that but i did get lost a couple of times so stopped a couple of times plus adding traffic etc .

Using HR training zones in training is not about an average over the ride but about staying in a particular zone for set periods of time. I did a very similar length ride today and my "average" says zone 2 but it was tempo zone 3 riding for the majority of it.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That explains it then . I was in zone 4 for alot of the ride . There is a reason for my mis-understanding on how to use a heart rate monitor . It's because i am trying to learn how to use a heart rate monitor . Some of you are being very helpful so thankyou .

Citius

It's because i am trying to learn how to use a heart rate monitor . Some of you are being very helpful so thankyou

Your arrogance is astonishing. You say you are trying to learn, but you won't listen to those trying to help you.

I was the first to respond to this thread (second post, page 1) where I asked you to clarify what your numbers were - all I got in return was a series of smug, arrogant dismissals and then you apparently put me on ignore. I would urge anyone reading this thread to re-read the first couple of pages again, just to remind themselves how utterly stupid that was. Simply stating 'zone 2' or 'zone 4' means nothing as there are an infinite number of training zones out there, depending on how you define them. One rider's 'zone 2' could be entierly different to another's, as this thread underlines.

Over the length of a 2-3hr ride, hitting an average HR is fine because staying in a single zone over that length of time will be practically impossible, unless you are on a long, flat, straight road with no junctions that you can ride for the duration.

The biggest issue is that you genuinely don't seem to understand WHY you are doing it. What was the expected training benefit from your last ride in zone 3/4/whatever? Unless you are going out with a purpose and an objective, then you don't need HR.

Citius

There does seem to be a disconnect in Cuchillo's understanding of heart rate training Citius and this latest is an example. I did try to introduce some basics that you called 'truisms' but I am at a loss to understand what After adjusting my zones i averaged zone 3 could mean.

I agree there is a disconnect (a massive one). But we really didn't need the dictionary definition of 'heart rate'. We are trying to measure it - not agree on a definition.

Tin Pot

Guru
Went for a 44 mile ride today and rode pretty hard . After adjusting my zones i averaged zone 3 . Quite surprised by that but i did get lost a couple of times so stopped a couple of times plus adding traffic etc .

How did you adjust your zones, and what are they now?

50000tears

Cuchilo can I as how you set your HR zones? You have mentioned more than once about adjusting them after a ride. Although the zones do need resetting periodically as you get fitter, for the most part they get set by a riding at certain intensities in a single ride. These are often best done on a turbo or other indoor trainer so that you can focus on the effort and not worry about traffic. Once they are set the HR numbers for each zone do not get adjusted until you redo the test.

Tin Pot

Guru
I used this provided by Tinpot http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/training-zones.asp
My resting is 66BPM and max has been 196BPM
Z1 = 98-117
Z2 = 117-137
Z3 = 137-156
Z4 = 156-176
Z5 = 176-196
I've only just got the monitor so using this as a base to start with .

Cool. Z2 will improve your endurance, build the slow twitch muscles and cardiovascular fitness.

Occasional burst, such as a hill climb, into Z3 or 4 is beneficial too, but try to get your heart rate down afterwards so you can continue in that mode.

Check this out when you get time:
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/03/how-heart-rate-zones-work/

Keep it up, and watch your fitness improve! :smile:

Chris_Kn

Regular
Interesting article here Heart Rate Training

Chris.

ayceejay

Guru
I agree there is a disconnect (a massive one). But we really didn't need the dictionary definition of 'heart rate'. We are trying to measure it - not agree on a definition.
You always come across as such a reasonable and understanding kind of chap Citius, does it take much practice? :notworthy:

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Cool. Z2 will improve your endurance, build the slow twitch muscles and cardiovascular fitness.

Occasional burst, such as a hill climb, into Z3 or 4 is beneficial too, but try to get your heart rate down afterwards so you can continue in that mode.

Check this out when you get time:
http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/03/how-heart-rate-zones-work/

Keep it up, and watch your fitness improve! :smile:
I guess my local loop of 18 miles around Richmond park and back home would be good for that ? A few hills to climb but then park and park pretty much all the way to and from there . Training myself to stay out of Z4 is going to be hard though . It's sooooo much fun :hyper:

Tin Pot

Guru
I guess my local loop of 18 miles around Richmond park and back home would be good for that ? A few hills to climb but then park and park pretty much all the way to and from there . Training myself to stay out of Z4 is going to be hard though . It's sooooo much fun :hyper:
You're into TTs aren't you?

If that's what youre looking to improve on, I would have a mix of sessions - a longer Z2 ride, a hill climbing, and some sprint training. But I don't don't do TT, so I'm not the best to ask...

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You're into TTs aren't you?

If that's what youre looking to improve on, I would have a mix of sessions - a longer Z2 ride, a hill climbing, and some sprint training. But I don't don't do TT, so I'm not the best to ask...
Yes , done about 15 this year and loving it . Just getting times set for my first season on 10 25 and 50 . I have a few more 25's to do this year and may look around for a few more 10's but i dont think i will do another 50 this year . May try 2 next year but boy do they hurt !
I got the handicap on a WLC event and my times where getting better but i seem to have got to the stage where i need to start looking at things rather than just riding like a nutter until i'm farked :laugh:
You're doing a lot better than the bloke that claims to be a coach so please do carry on joining in this thread :okay: and coach , you're fired baby :thumbsdown:

Citius

Sorry, I'm going to disagree with this. Unless the TTs are hilly, I wouldn't incorporate hill work or even sprint work into a schedule. 10s and 25s are all about riding at sustainable threshold for the duration, probably slightly higher than threshold for a 10. I would drop the distances and increase the intensity. Sets of short repeated efforts like 1min, 5min and maybe 20min intervals at around 85-90% MHR, once or twice a week, together with a couple of LSD/recovery rides is what I'd do.

You only have to read the thread to realise that's not going to happen though. On the upside, it's nice to see we can add 'patronising' to Cuchilo's list of qualities he has displayed on this thread. I'm going to assume he's actually 12, or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom