Hello and good day to you! I've just registered 🙋‍♀️

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Welcome to the forum!
If you are able to open the lock with the lock pick set and remove the battery, it may be that the fixings for the lock will be accessible, with a maker's name or model number on it. I think that the lock itself would not have been made by the maker of the bike frame or Bosch themselves but by one of their suppliers. If you can find out who that is you might be able to order another lock with keys and replace the original one, or even just some keys. Halfords ought to have been more helpful.

As @annedonnelly has suggested, yes, I would recommend posting on the electric bike sub forum as you will reach a wider number of people with knowledge of these things.
Thank you, I'm still looking for that electric bike sub forum, busy with other things these days. Regarding Halfords in Britain, no response has arrived to my investigations. The woman who sold me this e-bike, has made efforts to order a rack with battery, last winter. For there's no possibility to take the entire battery off without the rack. The part that is fixed to the rack, I mean. That's why the battery is locked on that fixed part, see? She made clear that the Pendleton e-bike isn't in production anymore. I should've bough spare parts with this bike, isn't it? 🤔

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Oh my, I now realize that this lock-picking set is for padlocks only. Not for my battery-lock. Didn't you watch the picture I've included?

The set is not only for padlocks. The clear padlock is provided to allow you to see how the mechanism works as you try to pick it. Once you understand the principle, you will be able to pick other locks such as desk, cupboards, front doors and the one on your bike. I have used the set on many different locks.

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Priority nr. 1 is the issue with the co-operation between the pedals, the chain, and the motor of my e-bike, as described in my initial post here.
Anyone who has experience with either such problem, or anyone who knows of the parts involved in that malfunction, and their names, is very welcome to respond here. When I know the name, or even the production nr. or whatever detail that helps to locate and order replacement of the part, I'll make progress toward the day that I will ride my Pendleton again. Out of the woods ^_^

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
The set is not only for padlocks. The clear padlock is provided to allow you to see how the mechanism works as you try to pick it. Once you understand the principle, you will be able to pick other locks such as desk, cupboards, front doors and the one on your bike. I have used the set on many different locks.
When I read your message again today, which is appreciated much, glasgowcyclist, I couldn't help imagining you riding your bike in Glasgow's streets at night, dressed in a tight black suit, stopping at times, climbing rainpipes, and fences, silentcat, with this set of lockpickers. :bicycle::biggrin:

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Welcome to the forum!
If you are able to open the lock with the lock pick set and remove the battery, it may be that the fixings for the lock will be accessible, with a maker's name or model number on it. I think that the lock itself would not have been made by the maker of the bike frame or Bosch themselves but by one of their suppliers. If you can find out who that is you might be able to order another lock with keys and replace the original one, or even just some keys. Halfords ought to have been more helpful.

As @annedonnelly has suggested, yes, I would recommend posting on the electric bike sub forum as you will reach a wider number of people with knowledge of these things.
Since I'm in the right forum for e-bike Q&A, and after reading your response again, today, I was reminded by what the employer in the e-bike workshop (in Holland) told me about the battery and how it's fixed to the bike. He said "I could replace the battery, but it means that we've got to order an entire rack with the part of the battery that is fixed to it" My guarantee papers are legal within Halfords' realm, which means that I've got to pay for parts and repair hours. The workshop's hour rate is 70 euro. Imagine, this could be very costly.

The part of the battery that can be unlocked and taken home for charging, leaves a part of the battery on the bike. That's why it's such a pickle, for the woman at Halfords' bike department in Britain, has made efforts to order such a rack plus battery, for me. That was last Dec. 2020. Never heard from her again, and no response to my recent email either. Calling Halfords in Newton Abbot results in remarks that no one know the name of this woman. Change of staff? A policy similar to the one of Michael in Fawlty Towers?
"I know nothing!" ??

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
The lock of my e-bike battery isn't a padlock. Haven't you seen the picture?

Sorry, Drago, I'm Dutch. What's a barrel?
In the meantime, I've found the meaning of the word "barrel". The visible part of the lock, as you can see in the picture, doesn't show any data. When I'm successful with the lockpicking set, releasing the battery from its fixed part on the bike, I might discover more. The suggestion to contact the manufacturer of the motor: Bosch Motor Raleigh Model and ask if they've made the battery as well, is a clever suggestion I believe. But all in good timing, I'm not in a hurry :okay:

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Hello and welcome.
If you don't get any responses in this thread there's an electric bike sub-forum that you could try if you haven't looked in there yet.
:blink::rolleyes::bicycle:

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
The message I left earlier today: "The suggestion to contact the manufacturer of the motor: Bosch Motor Raleigh Model and ask if they've made the battery as well, is a clever suggestion I believe." followed by contacting the manufacturer, has lost its value. At least that's clear. The message I received was that my e-bike was unfamiliar to what they work with (there are Raleigh e-bikes) and that no parts were available. Not that I give up hope, I'm simply moving to another search, and who knows, I might find a filthy half-hidden e-bike workshop with a mechanician-magician, who looks into the issues, and fixes all of them. Within 2 days, for a good price. Wouldn't that be nice? :bicycle::hello::cycle:

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
This whole issue turns into a tiny blog, not because I'm a story teller, but this issue and its winding road to a solution might be of value for others who land in the same pickle, see? For now, anno August 4th, the steps I've taken is visiting a bunch of bike-workshops in my city. There are many, with so many bikes on the roads here. Two bike-workshops were promising, pun intended.

And... what did I find out about my e-bike issue? Two workmen offered their help. The first bike-workman told me that my problem with the disconnection between pedals, chain and motor, could easily be solved, for this was a matter of adjusting a cable. During my quest through the city, visiting bike-workshops, I didn't bring my e-bike. I was exploring solutions and collect advise, suggestions, and an offer of repair.
I promised this person to bring my bike, so that he could inspect the issue.

Yesterday, I took my e-bike to the workshop where a simple adjustment on a cable should solve the problem, according to the workman.
Upon looking at my e-bike, this man's conclusion was "The motor is broken, you need a new wheel, I've got one at the back, exactly the same, you can have it installed for 500 euro". "No way" I thought, that's a clever salesman, but he ignores the fact that the motor IS in good working mode."
And so I left it at that, and took my e-bike to the second workshop where an offer to diagnose the problem was still standing, for an hour rate of 50 euro. That's where my e-bike is now.

And now, a big jump toward a solution: I've managed to contact Halfords in England, and spoke to an employee who is familiar with the issue. He told me that the woman who sold me this e-bike doesn't work at Halfords anymore, and upon describing the issue with my e-bike, he immediately knew what the problem is. And also, he gave me the name of the part that is broken: "Free hub body" This issue is a common one, due to wear and tear occurring in the hub. And so, hugely relieved, I now know the name of the part that needs to be replaced. 😊
The Halford employee also told me that a free hub body exists in all sorts of brands and that one of them should fit in my e-bike.

I've immediately called the workshop where my e-bike is, in Utrecht, and they were just planning to hang my e-bike on the hook! When I told them the name of the part that needs replacement, they recognized what I meant, and now they can diagnose my e-bike condition including the amount of costs, the actual part and hours of work, all in one.

In the meantime, I've made an appointment with Halfords in England, to get in touch about the guarantee conditions etc. Coming November 2nd 2021 is the end date of the guarantee period of 2 years. I'm super relieved now. 😊 It looks like riding my e-bike will happen in the not too far future. Gosh! After 7 months of research! ^_^:bicycle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
All is well that ends well...:bicycle: Yesterday, my e-bike was ready to ride, all is well now. After I called the workshop, informing them about the name of the part that needed replacement (free hub body) about half an hour later, they called me back and told me what the costs would be. Good service, and they were true to their word, for that's what I've paid when I came to collect my e-bike. 70 euro in total, plus a small bottle of substance that needs to keep the chain and the free hub body in good condition. I believe it's called "lubrication"? When I asked the workshop man if he knew what caused this problem, he asked "Have you cleaned the chain and the hub on a regular basis?" And I had to answer that this wasn't the case.
"When you take care of sustenance, cleaning those parts, you'll not see the amount of wear and tear that has caused your bike to stop functioning" he said. And so, a small bottle for this sustenance came with the repair-bill.

I was so happy with the result, that I gave them a box of Chocolonely-chocolates. They accepted it with a surprised smile and thank yous. And so, this story comes to an end. I've learned a few things, and I hope that this thread may serve someone else who's in the same pickle, sort of, as I've been trying to struggle through, for 7 months, trying to find the name of that part. Thanks for the laughs and the silly mistake of referring me to a sub-forum dealing with e-bike issues. In the virtual world, we don't see always what's right under our noses, is it? ^_^:rolleyes::hello::bicycle:Be safe, go well.

OP
OP
Devon Seamoor

Devon Seamoor

Regular
Hello glasgowcyclist, I'm right now practicing with the lockpicking set, and found YouTube video-instructions. After watching the first, with a slightly different set, I heard the man say that he could open the transparent padlock, but I didn't actually see him SHOWING the padlock opening. Hilarious. Now, I found another YouTube instruction video that lasts twice as long as the first. That gives me hope.
To be continued...... :hello::bicycle:

Top Bottom