Hello from Coventry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Ots

As you can tell from my username, avatar and the thread title, I'm James, I'm in Coventry, and I have an old rigid mountain bike with road tyres.

I used to cycle quite a lot, but then I got a car and got unfit. Then around this time last year I weighed myself and discovered I was two stone heavier than I expected, so I stopped eating biscuits and pork pies at work, and dropped down to twelve stone by February, at which point I started doing 'couch to 5k'. I did my first 5k run at the start of April. Then in July I went camping in the New Forest with my wife and children, and we took our bikes. Having not really cycled for ten years or so I'd forgotten how much fun it is being on a bike, so when I got home I decided to start commuting on my bike.

My ride to work is only 2.5km, so it's a really easy ride. Or would be, if I didn't live at the top of one of the only hills in Coventry. Fortunately, that means I get to roll down the hill to work in the morning, and only have to put effort in on the way home. I've also extended the ride home to include going through some woods and round a park to make it more interesting.

I'm now looking at getting myself a new bike on the cycle to work scheme. My current mountain bike is too small for me, and I'd like to get something with drop handlebars so that it's more comfortable on longer distances. I have a couple in mind, but I should probably discuss that in the 'What Bike?' section.

Bryony

Veteran
Hello :welcome: to the forum. It's very friendly on here and you will always get some helpful advise when you need it.
Happy cycling :bicycle:

Mile195

Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

Good to hear you're getting back into cycling. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get used to it again, and I think you'll quickly find yourself taking the "long way home" on nicer evenings.

Good luck!

OP
OP
James Ots

James Ots

I'm already getting into cycling quite a bit. I did a 50km ride to Leicester a couple of weeks ago, and plan to do 100km sometime next year. I've been commuting every day for the last three months (except for a few days when it was rainy or foggy, before I got mudguards and lights), and when I go to bed I'm already looking forward to the commute the next day, even when it's likely to be rainy. It's been fun 'learning to cycle' again — i.e., cornering, slow steering, going through small gaps, signalling, braking, getting in the toe-clips in one rotation, going uphill, going downhill, looking behind me… er, well, pretty much everything except staying on the bike and going forwards, which I could still remember how to do!

@Rickshaw Phil — I'm probably going to spend £1000 (minus tax) on a 2014 Specialized Tricross Sport Disc or a 2014 Kona Jake. I just have to wait until they're actually in stock for me to try them out. I think the Tricross is probably a better bike, but the Jake comes with Tiagra instead of Sora parts, and can be bought from my LBS, so it's quite difficult making the decision. Hopefully riding them will help.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
@Rickshaw Phil — I'm probably going to spend £1000 (minus tax) on a 2014 Specialized Tricross Sport Disc or a 2014 Kona Jake. I just have to wait until they're actually in stock for me to try them out. I think the Tricross is probably a better bike, but the Jake comes with Tiagra instead of Sora parts, and can be bought from my LBS, so it's quite difficult making the decision. Hopefully riding them will help.
Yes, difficult choice. You're making the right decision trying them before deciding.

It would be worth seeing what the folk in the What Bike? section think, although you may get a few more choices thrown into the mix.

Born2die

Hi see you found the pub it's a lovely spot there at hawksbury good for a spot of geeky boat spotting and drinking I saw a caravan boat thing last weekend there think a boat with wheels that looks like a caravan very peculiar.

If you fancy a pootle out at some point drop me a line.

OP
OP
James Ots

James Ots

@Speicher Allesley Park. Not a huge hill by many city's standards, but one of the steepest in Coventry, at about 10%. Enough to have put me of the idea of commuting for the last few years, but after doing it daily it's become less of a problem. I don't use the granny gear for it anymore, at least.

@ColinJ I'm not actually a Cov kid — I grew up in Leicester, but moved to Coventry after going to Warwick Uni fifteen+ years ago. I've started to sort of like the place. It's a whole lot better than it was, and with all the roads, railways, airports, etc., it's a good place to start to get to lots of other places! Not the most interesting place to cycle though.

Top Bottom