Hello from Coventry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Speicher Allesley Park. Not a huge hill by many city's standards, but one of the steepest in Coventry, at about 10%. Enough to have put me of the idea of commuting for the last few years, but after doing it daily it's become less of a problem. I don't use the granny gear for it anymore, at least.

@ColinJ I'm not actually a Cov kid — I grew up in Leicester, but moved to Coventry after going to Warwick Uni fifteen+ years ago. I've started to sort of like the place. It's a whole lot better than it was, and with all the roads, railways, airports, etc., it's a good place to start to get to lots of other places! Not the most interesting place to cycle though.
I think I know where that is and it is only steep(ish) for about 100 yards! I would just have walked that bit if I didn't fancy riding it.

If you haven't already explored them (why not? :whistle:) - the lanes in the area between NW Coventry, Coleshill, Tamworth, Atherstone, Nuneaton and Bedworth (around Corley, Fillongley, Old Arley etc.) are pleasant, with some interesting undulations and views.

D

Deleted member 1258

:welcome:

Hills in Coventry - Gibbet Hill?

I remember the bridge in your avatar. Was it in Walsgrave somewhere, and then it got moved for some reason? I left Coventry about thirty years ago.

Beak Avenue, Walsegrave Rd past the Forum. Gulson Rd, Barkers Butts Rd, Winsford Ave.

OP
OP
James Ots

James Ots

My favourite country lanes are the ones out in Allesley (not Allesley Park), and they're also the easiest to get to from here, but the problem with them is that they're rather narrow, and so I'm always a little worried that someone's going to come along driving a hot hatch the way my younger self would. I imagine the roads out towards Chadwick End might be more cyclist friendly.

D

Deleted member 1258

My favourite country lanes are the ones out in Allesley (not Allesley Park), and they're also the easiest to get to from here, but the problem with them is that they're rather narrow, and so I'm always a little worried that someone's going to come along driving a hot hatch the way my younger self would. I imagine the roads out towards Chadwick End might be more cyclist friendly.

If you go out of the City on Tile Hill turn left onto Station Rd, then right onto Duggins Lane turn left at the top and go past Nailcote Hall towards Balsall Common there's some lovely lanes round there.

Kies

@dave r
Can you suggest some 20-30 mile routes from the Puegeot dealership on the A45 (kenpass highway). Looking for quiet roads if possible

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think this kind of lane is very cyclist friendly! Those lanes are very quiet and you can concoct routes that involve only short stretches of busy road.

The one time I cocked up was when I misread my map and thought that there was a safe way across here - when it is busy, there isn't! I stood with my bike for 10 minutes waiting for a gap in the traffic and in the end I had to make a run for it! What I should have done is ride up the road a mile towards Meriden and crossed the Showell Lane bridge over the A45 to Eaves Green.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think this kind of lane is very cyclist friendly! Those lanes are very quiet and you can concoct routes that involve only short stretches of busy road.

The one time I cocked up was when I misread my map and thought that there was a safe way across here - when it is busy, there isn't! I stood with my bike for 10 minutes waiting for a gap in the traffic and in the end I had to make a run for it! What I should have done is ride up the road a mile towards Meriden and crossed the Showell Lane bridge over the A45 to Eaves Green.

If I'm heading for either Middleton Hall or Kingsbury Water Park I'll cross here

http://goo.gl/maps/WKzsF

Chris Swift

Hi James

I live in Coventry too have just ordered my road bike from Decathlon up near the Richo Arena.... Ordered on cycle to work scheme. I plan on cycling to Leamington where I work, will be 30 mile round trip.

Once we both have our bikes drop me a message maybe can be cycling buddies on weekends.

Chris

Top Bottom