Hello from Coventry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Speicher Allesley Park. Not a huge hill by many city's standards, but one of the steepest in Coventry, at about 10%. Enough to have put me of the idea of commuting for the last few years, but after doing it daily it's become less of a problem. I don't use the granny gear for it anymore, at least.

Hi James, another Coventry exile, here, left 24 years ago and been down here in West Somerset for past 7 years.

Presume you're talking about Winsford Avenue. I lived at the top of the hill (was born in my Mum and Dads house there!) and went to primary school at the foot of the hill, so have walked/cycled up and down there soooo many times. Having said that, I remember that road with fondness now that I live on the edge of Exmoor.

Great stuff re the cycling mate. Say hello to the old area for me

Born2die

I think this kind of lane is very cyclist friendly! Those lanes are very quiet and you can concoct routes that involve only short stretches of busy road.

The one time I cocked up was when I misread my map and thought that there was a safe way across here - when it is busy, there isn't! I stood with my bike for 10 minutes waiting for a gap in the traffic and in the end I had to make a run for it! What I should have done is ride up the road a mile towards Meriden and crossed the Showell Lane bridge over the A45 to Eaves Green.
You buggered that one up I owe you a beer for bravery crossing there

Born2die

Hi James

I live in Coventry too have just ordered my road bike from Decathlon up near the Richo Arena.... Ordered on cycle to work scheme. I plan on cycling to Leamington where I work, will be 30 mile round trip.

Once we both have our bikes drop me a message maybe can be cycling buddies on weekends.

Chris
Can I join in could use someone to chat to those voices I hear are mean they tell me to ride further faster more more more :eek:

Born2die

robjh

Legendary Member
@dave r
Can you suggest some 20-30 mile routes from the Puegeot dealership on the A45 (kenpass highway). Looking for quiet roads if possible

I agree with Dave R's suggestion of heading for Chadwick End and Lowsonford - some very nice lanes around there. If coming from the Kenpas Highway direction, then why not try taking a backway to Kenilworth along King's Hill Lane then Dalehouse Lane, then the road from Kenilworth to Beausale - quiet road, scenic and quite popular with cyclists. After that you can head towards Shrewley, Rowington or Lapworth - again, almost all the lanes around there are great for cycling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I agree with Dave R's suggestion of heading for Chadwick End and Lowsonford - some very nice lanes around there. If coming from the Kenpas Highway direction, then why not try taking a backway to Kenilworth along King's Hill Lane then Dalehouse Lane, then the road from Kenilworth to Beausale - quiet road, scenic and quite popular with cyclists. After that you can head towards Shrewley, Rowington or Lapworth - again, almost all the lanes around there are great for cycling.
I was born in a house just off Dalehouse Lane!

D

Deleted member 1258

Once out to Lowsonford there are quiet lanes out to Cafe's at Earlswood and Wooton Wawen
http://earlswoodcraftcentre.co.uk/1.html
http://www.yewtreefarm.uki.net/index.htm

At the end of Kings Hill Lane if you turn left onto Stonleigh Rd you can go straight on on the little roundabout at the junction of Dalehouse Lane down to the crossroads then either turn right and take quiet route to Warwick or go straight on and pick up the little lanes round Leamington Spa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kies

I have no idea where any of that is, will plan a route out on garmin connect anf follow the breadcrumb trail via the edge 200. But thankyou for the suggestion :-)

Kies

@dave r - could you recommend a decent lbs in the area. I keep a 10 year old hybrid up there for my boy to use, but it needs a new chainset (jaws would be proud of this baby's teeth), and the triple is only working as a double currently.
The frame is scratched and abused (Why do kids put the bikes on the floor?), but i love this bike (and son), so want it done properly.

D

Deleted member 1258

@dave r - could you recommend a decent lbs in the area. I keep a 10 year old hybrid up there for my boy to use, but it needs a new chainset (jaws would be proud of this baby's teeth), and the triple is only working as a double currently.
The frame is scratched and abused (Why do kids put the bikes on the floor?), but i love this bike (and son), so want it done properly.

Try Albany Cycles in Earlsdon, they faced my bottom bracket for me a few weeks ago and did a good job.
http://www.albanycycles.co.uk/

or the Coventry Cycle Centre in Far Gosford St, I haven't used them since I moved into Holbrooks, but I used to use them a lot and they were good.
http://www.coventrycyclecentre.co.uk/

Top Bottom