Hello from Evesham, Worcestershire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another 10 miler this morning, still 53 mins but it was very windy. I haven't tried Saintbury hill again yet, need to get this 5 stone monkey of my back first me-thinks. Given up alcohol completely to aid this quest.

I will get there!
Keep it up Brian!

I've climbed Saintbury Hill a couple of times on the Shakespeare 100, which I can recommend as a fun event once you are ready to tackle a century ride. (There is a 100 km event on the same day if you don't fancy the full 100 miles.) The next edition is in April 2013 - website. Unlike some other 'charity' events, nearly all the entry fee goes to the charity, Macmillan Cancer Support.

Yes, Saintbury Hill is what I would call a 'proper hill' (2 km at 9.5% average if you ride to the top, with a steep ramp halfway up).

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Keep it up Brian!

I've climbed Saintbury Hill a couple of times on the Shakespeare 100, which I can recommend as a fun event once you are ready to tackle a century ride. (There is a 100 km event on the same day if you don't fancy the full 100 miles.) The next edition is in April 2013 - website. Unlike some other 'charity' events, nearly all the entry fee goes to the charity, Macmillan Cancer Support.

Yes, Saintbury Hill is what I would call a 'proper hill' (2 km at 9.5% average if you ride to the top, with a steep ramp halfway up).

Hi Brian

As our good fellow member ColinJ says the Shakespeare 100 is a good one to look out for. It starts at the Stratford park and ride facility at Bishopton Bank and does an anti-clockwise loop out towards Claverdon, Bidford down towards the Cotswolds up a least one of the tasty hills and then back through Long Marston with a nice flat run to Stratford.
I did the 100km a couple of weeks ago and it went up Bakers Hill just outside Mickleton. The 100 mile ride carried on a different route at Mickleton up into the Cotswolds.
There were also a couple of slightly shorter McMillan rides that started from the same place that day following part of the route but without the nasty climbs up onto the Costwolds.
Look out for the Spring Shakespeare 100km in early April next year, I did that one this year and it went up Saintbury hill as Colin mentioned.
Just google Shakespeare 100 and the details will come up. The organiser Rob normally posts reminders about the events when they are coming up on this site in the Audax and Rides section.
Recommended events, and if your training goes well you should start to think about them as they very enjoyable.
Good luck.

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
Colin thanks very much for that link, I had been thinking about a charity ride as a target. I am not sure if a 100k would be within my reach by April though, but who knows? You have got me thinking though.

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
If April turns out to be too soon, there is also an autumn edition of the event every September.
Thanks, the link makes some good reading.
Surprised myself today, I weighed in at 19st, first time I have been that low for a long time. I was just short of 20st in the school holidays when I started. I feel much better in myself but feel the same size, ie xlfb.

Typhon

That Shakespeare 100 looks great. I live on the doorstep of that route and had no idea about it. Thanks for posting that Colin & Traindriver.

Like Brian I only started cycling recently so I am a long way off being able to even do 100km but 6 and a bit months is a long time. I would love to do it even if it was just the 100km one. It's a goal to aim for at least!

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
That Shakespeare 100 looks great. I live on the doorstep of that route and had no idea about it. Thanks for posting that Colin & Traindriver.

Like Brian I only started cycling recently so I am a long way off being able to even do 100km but 6 and a bit months is a long time. I would love to do it even if it was just the 100km one. It's a goal to aim for at least!

I hadn't heard of it either and I know the route well. I was born In Stratford and grew up there.
My aim would be the 100k, maybe would could team up for some training together next year?

Typhon

I hadn't heard of it either and I know the route well. I was born In Stratford and grew up there.
My aim would be the 100k, maybe would could team up for some training together next year?

Sure, that sounds good. :smile:

Have you ever thought about joining Evesham Wheelers? I've seen them congregating on Evesham high street on Sunday mornings, they seem to have a lot of members. I think they do runs of around 40-50 miles and have three different groups, one of which is at a pretty sedentary pace:

http://www.eveshamwheelers.org.uk/runs/index.asp

I think I might have a go with them when I can do the required distances. I'm not sure if they operate over the winter though.

OP
OP
BrianEvesham

BrianEvesham

Mask is gone!
Sure, that sounds good. :smile:

Have you ever thought about joining Evesham Wheelers? I've seen them congregating on Evesham high street on Sunday mornings, they seem to have a lot of members. I think they do runs of around 40-50 miles and have three different groups, one of which is at a pretty sedentary pace:

http://www.eveshamwheelers.org.uk/runs/index.asp

I think I might have a go with them when I can do the required distances. I'm not sure if they operate over the winter though.

Yes I will. I am justing waiting to get more miles/distance under my belt and some of this 5st monkey off my back!

They have their own Facebook page as well.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/220485515624/

Typhon

Yes I will. I am justing waiting to get more miles/distance under my belt and some of this 5st monkey off my back!

They have their own Facebook page as well.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/220485515624/

Earlier this year I decided to become a social networking heretic and deleted my facebook profile so I can't see that page I'm afraid. Does it say whether they meet through the winter and how far they do on a run? Because the website is a bit vague on that.

Typhon

I think they go out every Sunday all year round. They have just finished hill climbs and TT, but I could be wrong!

Ah ok, perhaps it is just that they have specific events in the summer whereas in the winter they do their normal weekly run. That makes more sense actually. I didn't think they would just stop over winter.

Top Bottom