Helmet Camera advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After being deliberately driven at on my commute yesterday I am thinking of buying a helmet Camera.
Can someone please recommend one?
GoPro are well outside my budget.
I'm looking for something with adequate definition to identify a number plate if necessary and with a battery life longer than my hour-long commute.
I'm not tech savvy so any advice gratefully accepted.
Ta.

Slick

Guru
I use a go pro up front and a cyclic 6 at the rear but there are loads of different options out there that don't cost the earth. My only advice would be, don't mount it on your helmet. :eek:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I use a go pro up front and a cyclic 6 at the rear but there are loads of different options out there that don't cost the earth. My only advice would be, don't mount it on your helmet. :eek:
Where would be the optimum place to mount a front-facing camera (as a matter of interest)? Chest? Handlebars?

Inquiring minds.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The helmet mount aspect has already been mentioned but just to add that if you check the small print of helmet instructions they normally say that you should not mount anything on it.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1 on not mounting it on the helmet... isn't that what happened to Michael Schumaker ?
But you asked for advice on helmet cameras? Maybe change your thread title.
There are a fair few threads on the forum about cameras if you use the search function :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Where would be the optimum place to mount a front-facing camera (as a matter of interest)? Chest? Handlebars?

Inquiring minds.
Chest gives best view but is fiddlier. I use handlebars on some bikes and head tube on others. A good shock-absorbing mount is very useful, even if the camera claims stabilisation.

My current camera is a £30 HD720 one from a retail park shop, xmas before last so already obsolete. Not go pro quality but easily enough to capture number plates in most light and battery lasts 90mins or so.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No I don't have one but I was thinking of getting one but decided it wasn't really worth it for me.
It's all about features and resolution. Some of the more expensive ones might have a touch screen and shoot at a higher definition frame rate so unless you want this I'd advise you to go for cheapest one that offers good battery life and ease of operation. The one feature you'll probably want is image stabilisation to stop the picture wobbling around. I'm sure you could get good one for around fifty to seventy quid which would do all you want.
Remember to budget for a SD card to give you the run time you need.

Last edited:
No I don't have one but I was thinking of getting one but decided it wasn't really worth it for me.
It's all about features and resolution. Some of the more expensive ones might have a touch screen and shoot at a higher definition frame rate so unless you want this I'd advise you to go for cheapest one that offers good battery life and ease of operation. The one feature you'll probably want is image stabilisation to stop the picture wobbling around. I'm sure you could get good one for around fifty to seventy quid which would do all you want.
Remember to budget for a SD card to give you the run time you need.

You're probably right there... on the bike I think a touch screen would be more trouble than it's worth, if the 7" touch screen "infotainment system" on my Astra is anything to go by.... nothing but a bloody nuisance in fact.... I'd turn it on when I start my ride, and leave it on until I get home. So I don't need anything remarkable, as long as it's clear and has a sufficient battery life, oh, and is waterproof...

Top Bottom