Helmet camera laws in Switzerland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is anyone here familiar with Swiss laws regarding the use of helmet-mounted cameras (or any other variation, e.g. on a dashboard)? I did search for these, but couldn't find anything useful. I do know that their privacy laws have restricted the coverage of Google StreetView in Switzerland, so naturally I wondered if this extended to the use of personal video cameras.

During my upcoming cycling trip in the northern summer, I'll be recording various mountain descents using a helmet-mounted video camera, and one of these descents enters Switzerland, so I'm unsure whether I'd be breaking any law.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
This might help:

Guidelines on video surveillance in vehicles (Dashcams)

Most of the provisions look as if they would apply to helmet cameras too.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This might help:

Guidelines on video surveillance in vehicles (Dashcams)

Most of the provisions look as if they would apply to helmet cameras too.
Just read that and .... wow! Based on those guidelines a decent Swiss brief could argue that any outdoor photo that includes a stranger in the background is illegal.

I've got an extended interest in this as I do the photography/media for Bolletta's skate club and have also written their imaging policy. Dig back a year or two and you'll find a rant thread by me about my (still ongoing) beef with the National Ice Skating Association.

The fact is it's almost impossible to police these kind of rules because of the ubiquity and size of modern imaging devices. You can pick on the obvious manifestations (dash cams, man with DSLR and a couple of kgs of lens :blush:) but that's not the problem, precisely because it's more or less overt.

There are a few caveats, but generally in the UK you're ok photographing and filming people in the UK on public land. There are no specific laws guaranteeing privacy in a public space. This includes images of children, although you'd be asking for trouble lurking around your local park with a go pro. You also need to be aware of what is and isn't public space. Many areas that are used freely by the public are in fact private land (shopping centres, churches, venues etc), where the owner can impose certain restrictions.

I could go on but I'd bore myself....:whistle::shy:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
And guards. Excellent guards.

GuyBoden

Guru
What do the Swiss know, they should concentrate on cuckoo clocks, chocolate and pharmaceuticals.

And, the Bern Patent Office, where Einstein created the modern world........
einsteinbuilding.jpg

Top Bottom