Helmet camera laws in Switzerland?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Everything these cameras record is live, there in the public domain for any observer to view. The whole privacy/proportionality thing is a head scratcher for me when it comes to dashcams.

Crankarm

Guru
Is anyone here familiar with Swiss laws regarding the use of helmet-mounted cameras (or any other variation, e.g. on a dashboard)? I did search for these, but couldn't find anything useful. I do know that their privacy laws have restricted the coverage of Google StreetView in Switzerland, so naturally I wondered if this extended to the use of personal video cameras.

During my upcoming cycling trip in the northern summer, I'll be recording various mountain descents using a helmet-mounted video camera, and one of these descents enters Switzerland, so I'm unsure whether I'd be breaking any law.

Regards & thanks,

--- Victor.

Just use your headcam without caring a fig. There are lots and lots of people wearing head/helmet cams making footage for Youtube of their holidays in Switzerland, riding up and down the Furka, Susten and Grimsell passes posted by cyclists and motorcyclists. No one will care or hassle you unless you make a complete knob of yourself by annoying some one which would be pretty much the same in the UK. Infact helmet/dash cams are really rather common place as the scenery is just stunning and everyone uses them.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My company do the equivalent of Google Streetview in Switzerland. We don't make the footage public, but we are not restricted in recording it. I don't see how a personal camera is going to get you in trouble.

In fact if you look at Mapillary a crowd source Streetview you will see lots of coverage in Switzerland.

Lozz360

Veteran
[QUOTE 4769984, member: 259"]No, they were interned, some were expelled to neutral countries.[/QUOTE]
Switzerland was neutral. That was the reason allied escapees made their way to Switzerland as it was outside Nazi occupation and jurisdiction.

Switzerland was neutral. That was the reason allied escapees made their way to Switzerland as it was outside Nazi occupation and jurisdiction.
Yes but no society can take 100% of a continent's refugees. Unless you belong to a superstate known as the EU.

:stop:The words "wonderful" and "cheese" do not belong in the same sentencexx(

Apart from that the Swiss are wonderful. I'm still hoping that my local shop starts stocking those 2kg bars of Toblerone:hungry:
Is it pronounced like Toe-blerone or Tob-lerone? My wife and I have nearly fought to the death over this.

tyred

Legendary Member
Is it pronounced like Toe-blerone or Tob-lerone? My wife and I have nearly fought to the death over this.

I'll be honest and say the only thing that I know is about Toblerone is how to eat one.

TigerT

Veteran
Helmet Cams are not in common use out here, at least in Zürich. Mainly because there is very little need for them. Cyclists are well respected out here and are generally given plenty of room. There are also cycle lanes everywhere and where there are not, there are often yellow lines that motorist must stay outside, if a cyclist is present . However, if you are just interested in recording your run through a mountain pass, then nobody will bother you. It's a great place to cycle.

And while I'm here : Cuckoo Clocks are German not Swiss

To the OP, if you rent a flat, don't forget you can't have a bath on Sundays.

and we are allowed to bath on Sundays ;-)

Top Bottom