Helmets to become compulsory in Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
I always thought that even a fully rated cycle helmet is only good for impacts up to 12mph?

I wear one more often than not (although don't bother if just popping down the shops). I know it will only help if I happen to fall off and hit my head on the pavement at low speed.

Considering this, it seems somewhat odd that helmets should be made compulsory - maybe if we have to wear them all other road users should be limited to 12mph so that the helmets are effective?

classic33

Leg End Member
Genuine question .....

Doctors are advocating that helmets should be compulsory. If this is about preventing serious injury or death, why not make taking asprin compulsory because it significantly reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes? I can't seem to find a difference other than perhaps the age of victims. Why are our child-vaccination programmes not compulsory?

Genuine answer.
Stong adverse effects with asprin, its put me in hospital before. Child-vaccinations were considered unsafe, possilbly lethal, so they were never given.

pshore

Genuine answer.
Stong adverse effects with asprin, its put me in hospital before. Child-vaccinations were considered unsafe, possilbly lethal, so they were never given.

Yes, I guess with any medicine, there is always the risk of an individual have side effects. That's not really the case with helmets.

I was thinking of the big picture, like net benefit to societies death rates. All other similar arguments I can think of are about taking something away - eg ban cigarettes and alcohol - so are not comparable.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, I guess with any medicine, there is always the risk of an individual have side effects. That's not really the case with helmets.
Perhaps it is the case.
The lobby for compulsion is focussed on a single problem and seems unable to accept that their solution could have side effects more damaging than the original problem, namely fewer people taking physical exercise, reduction in the safety in numbers effect, risk compensation, etc.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I'd sooner they spent the time legislating against the real killers of cyclists, rather than passing the buck onto vulnerable road users.

I hardly ride much faster than a reasonably fit jogger, so why should I cocoon my head in some polystyrene just to appease some pillock who's never ridden a bike in their life?

As long as a jogger goes helmetless, so will I.

classic33

Leg End Member

I was thinking of the big picture, like net benefit to societies death rates. All other similar arguments I can think of are about taking something away - eg ban cigarettes and alcohol - so are not comparable.

Disagree. If the taking of asprin were to be made compulsory, would people like me who can't take it, later be told its our fault for not taking it. Would the blame for any injury taking longer to heel/ease be passed onto me.

http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergies/a/nsaids.htm

"How common is NSAID allergy?
NSAID(Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, abbreviated NSAID), allergy is estimated to be present in approximately 1% of the general population."

pshore

Disagree. If the taking of asprin were to be made compulsory, would people like me who can't take it, later be told its our fault for not taking it. Would the blame for any injury taking longer to heel/ease be passed onto me.

I wasn't suggesting aspirin should be compulsory after you pointed out the flaw in my argument. I totally get it.

pshore

I came up with a good analogy today... imagine if you lived in an area of high crime rates, gangland shootings etc. Maybe they should bring in laws to force residents to wear flak jackets? If it saves just one life.

I have often wondered what the reaction would be if I put a car shaped safety structure around my bike. (somebody must have tried this). If it works, they should be compulsory !

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I have often wondered what the reaction would be if I put a car shaped safety structure around my bike. (somebody must have tried this). If it works, they should be compulsory !

IIRC critical mass did this in SanFran in the 80s. There are some famous pics of a guy with a bolser wood frame around his bike and lights strapped on.

tyred

Legendary Member
Could people please vote here on the SDLP website.

We'll see just how much of a democrat Mr Ramsey really is if he's prepared to ignore the 88% who don't want compulsion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom