Helmets to become compulsory in Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OR
you could try an alternate piece of "safety wear"!!
http://www.cosmosmag...elmets-cyclists

boris_johnson_3.jpg

works for this man.........

snorri

Legendary Member
Well that was a bit of a surprise, 20 votes for and 18 against.:sad:

TrevorM

Party politics. Almost everyone who spoke was against it including the minister responsible for implementing it. But the turnout was very low except for the proposer's party. Can't see it getting through commitee stages though.

snorri

Legendary Member
I hope you're right TrevorM, and thanks for the link, interesting to listen to.
If I understood correctly, Pat Ramsey has changed his Bill to include all ages of cyclist, off road and onroad.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Party politics. Almost everyone who spoke was against it including the minister responsible for implementing it. But the turnout was very low except for the proposer's party. Can't see it getting through commitee stages though.

I dont think thats any excuse. This would effectively criminalise people for something that is no harm to others. That alone is going to put people off cycling.

TrevorM

I hope you're right TrevorM, and thanks for the link, interesting to listen to.
If I understood correctly, Pat Ramsey has changed his Bill to include all ages of cyclist, off road and onroad.

I don't think it has changed, at least not since I first read it last year. I think the early media reports focussed on the children aspect first. But it applies to all ages, all places including as someone said, even in your back garden. As with all NI politics I expect it will follow party lines. The strongest opposition was from the DUP and SinnFein and as they are the largest parties they could block it later if they decide to.

TrevorM

Anybody know the timetable for the next stages?

Here you go. Scroll down to the list of Non-Executive bills to find it.
Next stage - committee to finish its stage by 14th March

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone brave enough to put a figure on the price on helmets(percentage wise) if it does go through.

When bells became compulsory they went up by as much as 500% in local shops that sold them. Only three of those, were bike shops. Also to call them bells was in part daft. They were cheap & often fell apart within a month. I broke two in one shop.

Will the market be flooded with cheap & cheerful helmets?

Helmet price is actually an interesting one.

The Cycle Industry is set against compulsion as a whole. Look at the BikeBiz site for examples.

Whether this is a balanced opinion or a concern that compulsory helmet would decimate the business is open to argument if you are a cynic

But perhaps there is a need to reclaim the lost income from cycle sales?

classic33

Leg End Member
It already is!

EN1078 the standard for sale in the UK is not recognised for racing in the United States as it is considered inadequate.

Aware of the differing standards, same as climbing helmets. My thought was more on the ones that fail to meet the UK standards.
People buying one just because they have to have one.

When something that can be bought as an extra is made compulsory, by what ever means, then two things tend to happen.
Prices on those items that reach the required standard(s) go up & cheaper versions that don't meet the standards will appear.

Its the latter combined with a lack of knowledge on the part of the person selling the item & the "compulsory factor" that may lead to problems later on.

pshore

Genuine question .....

Doctors are advocating that helmets should be compulsory. If this is about preventing serious injury or death, why not make taking asprin compulsory because it significantly reduces the risk of heart attacks and strokes? I can't seem to find a difference other than perhaps the age of victims. Why are our child-vaccination programmes not compulsory?

Why are we discussing helmets for cyclists rather than taking a logical approach to choosing what should be compulsory or banned ?

Indeed, and why (as someone alluded to earlier) are we discussing helmets for cyclists rather than removing the source of the danger posed to cyclists.
Cycling is not dangerous, in fact it is such a benign and beneficial activity that it is cycling which should be made compulsory rather than helmets .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom