Helmets to become compulsory in Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrevorM

Could people please vote here on the SDLP website.

We'll see just how much of a democrat Mr Ramsey really is if he's prepared to ignore the 88% who don't want compulsion.

Interesting that the poll has now disappeared from the website.

According to CTC this cannot now become law unless tabled again after the May elections

Helmets have to be personal choice, they do not offer the same level of protection as motorcycle helmets and will not do so with current technology, they have to be lightweight and breathable or the rider will overheat in them, so it is a catch 22, the designs that are actually protective enough in a reasonably high speed impact are also the ones that would make cycling impractical due to having inadequate cooling.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Helmets have to be personal choice, they do not offer the same level of protection as motorcycle helmets and will not do so with current technology, they have to be lightweight and breathable or the rider will overheat in them, so it is a catch 22, the designs that are actually protective enough in a reasonably high speed impact are also the ones that would make cycling impractical due to having inadequate cooling.

Theres also plenty of cases of motorcyclists passing out due to overheating in helmet and leathers so I kind of now think that even motorcyclists got a bum deal with a load of hype.:huh:

Theres also plenty of cases of motorcyclists passing out due to overheating in helmet and leathers so I kind of now think that even motorcyclists got a bum deal with a load of hype.:huh:

I think that is twodlocks, I have been riding a motorcycle for 30 years and have never had an issue, I have even had my life saved by a helmet, but I was traveling faster than if I was cycling at the time and the combined mass of myself and the motorcycle was significantly greater than if I had been cycling, to compare the two is absurd. The only thing that motorcycles and bicycles have in common are two wheels, the similarity ends there. I have had a bumble bee hit my visor while riding a motorcycle at 60mph and it is like a biological bullet, no helmet would result in an off, at 30mph or less on the cycle the bee misses me or manages to land on me, then buggers off.

If one person (tragically) gets killed* - lets say - 30 years earlier than the average life expectancy. Then 600 cyclists (30 x 20) live a year longer than average life expectancy.

Right there you have a good reason for the advocacy of helmet wearing to discourage cycling and so avoid the extra burden on the pensions system. I say that with only slight irony.

Paco de Bango

Right there you have a good reason for the advocacy of helmet wearing to discourage cycling and so avoid the extra burden on the pensions system. I say that with only slight irony.

One mans NHS saving is another mans pension burden.

Thats how i used to justify smoking (before i quit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom