Helmets to become compulsory in Northern Ireland?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Could people please vote here on the SDLP website.

We'll see just how much of a democrat Mr Ramsey really is if he's prepared to ignore the 88% who don't want compulsion.
Voted in favour for the magic hat
hide.gif

TrevorM

I've tried! It doesn't work. A second vote won't increase the vote count :tongue:

Don't do this as it is morally wrong and makes a mockery of the democratic process but if you were the sort of person who wanted to do this you could clear the cookies from your browser between votes. This is only fair when there is more than one person sharing a computer to allow them to exercise their democratic rights.

tyred

Legendary Member
Don't do this as it is morally wrong and makes a mockery of the democratic process but if you were the sort of person who wanted to do this you could clear the cookies from your browser between votes

It wasn't so much that I wanted to do it but was just checking the results hadn't been "spiked" in this way.

MartinC

Über Member
Voted in favour for the magic hat
hide.gif

Presumably you haven't voted in favour of helmets, you've voted in favour of making other people wear them.

It's disturbing that you don't seem to be aware of the difference.

Zoiders

If you dressed like a hipster and started riding a fixed round london with a chair balanced on your head do you think all the other hipsters would start doing it as well?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Look at it this way ... I'd bet you would get more room on the road if you did cycle with a chair on your head (as well as a reputation as the local loon :biggrin: ).

Voted!! thanks for the link.

Paco de Bango

Did anyone read the article on the BBC website a few days back?

it quoted one stat that generally gets overlooked by the pro-complusion lobby: that the benefits of cycling outweight the risks by a factor of 20:1

I'm no maths genius but I work that out as this:

If one person (tragically) gets killed* - lets say - 30 years earlier than the average life expectancy. Then 600 cyclists (30 x 20) live a year longer than average life expectancy.

I think thats the most compelling arguement against compulsion that doesn't apply to motorbike helmets or car seat belts.

If m/bike helmets or car seat belts discourage people from riding/driving then they walk or cycle. so they live longer because their doing something healthier AND less risky.

If cycle helmets discourage people from cycling. They drive.

I therfore conclude for the greater good of the world at large, cycling needs to be encouraged not discouraged QED :becool:

*and remember cyclists can still get killed even if they wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom