Helmets why doesn't everyone wear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

defy-one

Make roads safe?

Nah, just tell everyone to get a helmet.
Blame someone else culture, is it not?

And whilst we wait for cycling nirvana,in the shape of safer roads .... your wiiling to chance a head injury? ..... you might not ride long enough to see the safer roads!
(Btw i hope no harm does actually befall you .. just making a point :smile: )

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
What head injury are you risking exactly?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the same with house and contents insurance... the risk is of total loss is negligible so why do we all bother. The answer is it isn't necessary at all until the day you have an accident. It's entirely up to each individual how they cope when that day arrives...

There's a possibility that if and when that day arrives, I could strike my head at precisely the right angle and impact point onto the edge of a kerb or a lamp post or a wall coping or a car mirror at the exact angle that would be fatal without a helmet... so guess what I'm going to do. My decision, my call. You can do whatever you wish too, I sincerely hope your day never happens.

Licramite

Über Member
yea its a dangerous world, in local paper guy out jogging, hit from behind with a wing mirror of a white van,- dead.
I,ve hit wheele bins with my mirror before now, easily done.

would a helmet save you ? - who knows.

Norm

I find it extremely disconcerting that you can discount your inability to judge the width of your vehicle so easily, particularly so having just pointed out that such failings in a driver can so easily result in killing others whose only fault appears to be living near you.

D

Deleted member 26715

Go to 41:08
I did, now what?

Alan..

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
yea its a dangerous world, in local paper guy out jogging, hit from behind with a wing mirror of a white van,- dead.

would a helmet save you ? - who knows.

Would a helmet save you from a wing mirror in the back of the head at 60 mph? Almost certainly not.
If it's 'easily done' I suggest you learn how to drive. Or stop driving.
It's not a 'dangerous world' - it just contains dangerous people.

D

Deleted member 26715

I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons, 1) My wife tells me I have to, which in itself is a very compelling reason & 2) I once had a motorcycle crash where my head hit the floor, at the time I was only doing 20mph & possibly without it I wouldn't be here now, so my theory is if I come off/get knocked off, I believe I have a better chance of survival.

Now hopefully those are my 2 sensible reasons for wearing one, what I would like to hear from non-wearers is sensible reasons why not to wear one. Please none of the usual drivel, as
I also agree with as above, if I get hit on the head with a wing mirror at 60mph then the small bit of foam with a little plastic coating isn't going to help me. But so far in these 20 odd pages of petty arguments there has been no compelling reason not to wear one. So come on doubters convince me with rational arguments why I should stop wearing a helmet, do that & I'll join your party.

Alan...

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Well I still think cyclists are targeted instead of targeting safer roads.
8,242 dead Pedestrians versus 1,575 dead cyclists.

http://www.ecademy.com/node.php?id=179196

Is it not strange that the media seems not to give a damn about pedestrian safety?
I think it's more a case of pedestrians don't belong to a niche group like cyclists? We tend to look out for one another, and are quite vocal about safety.

I hate to say write this, but pedestrians don't help themselves 'sometimes' with the way the walk out without looking, BUT, and it's a big BUT, vehicle drivers and other road users (including cyclists) should ride/drive in a manner that anticipates vulnerable road users stepping out without warning. We all have a responsibility for our actions, and to look out for the most vulnerable road users, and take all possible action to avoid contact.

I ride/drive and walk everywhere with the mindset that the next car/bike/truck/bus/ped will drive/ride/step into my path, and I manage to avoid hitting them.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons.....blah, blah, blah................So come on doubters convince me with rational arguments why I should stop wearing a helmet, do that & I'll join your party.

Alan...

I think you'll find non-helmet wearers aren't trying to convince you not to wear one, but it's more the other way round, wearers are trying to get non-wearers to wear a glorified pudding bowl on their head.

I am an experienced adult cyclist and I constantly risk assess my riding; wearing a helmet when I need to - ie in a peleton of racers (I don't race, so that's one off the list) or when MTB'ing in Dalby forest, which is so infrequent it doesn't really compare to the thousands of miles I ride helmetless to the shops/pub/family/friends/work/touring.

Google search for images of the following: Dutch cycling, and British cycling - then tell me what you see?

I do the vast majority of my cycling like a Dutch person; that is commuting, going to the shops, going to the pub, visiting friends/family, and commuting to work. I am not a racer, and I sure don't buy into the British 'sporting' image of cycling, where the only visible version is of a sporting cyclist, lycra clad, and bedecked in a polystyrene (branded logo) hat.

Oldspice

Sorry for the half post. My PC froze.

The YT clip was just to show that helmets are a matter of choice.
Regardless of the pros and cons, surveys and reports. People
Will do what they choose to do.

Sorry for the weird text. Haven't worked out the phone
Settings yet.

I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons, 1) My wife tells me I have to, which in itself is a very compelling reason & 2) I once had a motorcycle crash where my head hit the floor, at the time I was only doing 20mph & possibly without it I wouldn't be here now, so my theory is if I come off/get knocked off, I believe I have a better chance of survival.

Now hopefully those are my 2 sensible reasons for wearing one, what I would like to hear from non-wearers is sensible reasons why not to wear one. Please none of the usual drivel, as
I also agree with as above, if I get hit on the head with a wing mirror at 60mph then the small bit of foam with a little plastic coating isn't going to help me. But so far in these 20 odd pages of petty arguments there has been no compelling reason not to wear one. So come on doubters convince me with rational arguments why I should stop wearing a helmet, do that & I'll join your party.

Alan...

You have got the question wrong.

This is not about anyone stopping wearing a helmet, that has never been the case.

It is simply disproving the weak and silly arguments that try and impose them on other people.

If you want to wear one because you feel it is appropriate for you then please do so.

However in return respect the choice not to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom