Helmets why doesn't everyone wear them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons, 1) My wife tells me I have to, which in itself is a very compelling reason

Alan...

Would advice from a medical expert or a respected safety organisation that a helmet reduced injuries and should be worn for that reason be compelling evidence to wear one?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Strange how when I put posts on helmet threads showing how we (as a nation) are being patronsied by the 'elf and safety mob, the thread goes cold?

The Dutch clearly demostrate that cycling is a clean, free, safe activity - strangely our USA inspired :whistle: petrol-slurping, car obsessed population can't see that (or won't see it more like)

Norm

I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons, 1) My wife tells me I have to, which in itself is a very compelling reason & 2) I once had a motorcycle crash where my head hit the floor, at the time I was only doing 20mph & possibly without it I wouldn't be here now, so my theory is if I come off/get knocked off, I believe I have a better chance of survival.

Now hopefully those are my 2 sensible reasons for wearing one, what I would like to hear from non-wearers is sensible reasons why not to wear one. Please none of the usual drivel, as
I also agree with as above, if I get hit on the head with a wing mirror at 60mph then the small bit of foam with a little plastic coating isn't going to help me. But so far in these 20 odd pages of petty arguments there has been no compelling reason not to wear one. So come on doubters convince me with rational arguments why I should stop wearing a helmet, do that & I'll join your party.

Alan...
1) The wife issue was compelling for me, until I turned it around and educated her (and the mother and colleagues and friends) on the downsides. Motorbike helmets are an irrelevance, unfortunately, because they are built and tested to a better standard. And the theory of being given a better chance with a helmet is knocked about because, despite all the attempts to prove they help, no one ever has. Whilst there are circumstances in which they help, there are other circumstances in which they make things worse or cause the accident.

2) With regards to the downsides, they have been written about plenty. If its not too self-conglatutory, can I point you towards the seven reasons I posted here.

D

Deleted member 26715

2159532 said:
Perhaps you could tell us what doesn't count as drivel, to your mind. It would make matters a lot easier all round.
Actually I'd rather not, because since my plea there have been some very sensible answers, that was until you have decided to try to slant it again.

Norm, I totally agree, the boat club, should have no jurisdiction over whether it's members wear a helmet whilst cycling.
Cunobelin, Again I couldn't agree more, if somebody does not want to wear one, that should be their right
ComedyPilot, I understand your point, but I also think that is comparing Apples with Pears, the social attitude to cycling between the two countries is so wide I'm not sure it's relevant.

I find the stance of both pro & anti very strange, it's very difficult for a somewhat illiterate man such as myself to explain it, but both seem polarised I'm sure though that were we all in the same room your outlooks wouldn't be as extreme.

Alan...

I wear a helmet for 2 main reasons, 1) My wife tells me I have to, which in itself is a very compelling reason & 2) I once had a motorcycle crash where my head hit the floor, at the time I was only doing 20mph & possibly without it I wouldn't be here now, so my theory is if I come off/get knocked off, I believe I have a better chance of survival.

Now hopefully those are my 2 sensible reasons for wearing one, what I would like to hear from non-wearers is sensible reasons why not to wear one. Please none of the usual drivel, as
I also agree with as above, if I get hit on the head with a wing mirror at 60mph then the small bit of foam with a little plastic coating isn't going to help me. But so far in these 20 odd pages of petty arguments there has been no compelling reason not to wear one. So come on doubters convince me with rational arguments why I should stop wearing a helmet, do that & I'll join your party.

Alan...

It's very simple:- There is no evidence that cycle helmets reduce injury.

Read a helmet box, scour a helmet manufacturer's website. They dont make any claims because they cant.

Licramite

Über Member
Strange how when I put posts on helmet threads showing how we (as a nation) are being patronsied by the 'elf and safety mob, the thread goes cold?

The Dutch clearly demostrate that cycling is a clean, free, safe activity - strangely our USA inspired :whistle: petrol-slurping, car obsessed population can't see that (or won't see it more like)

have you read the study by the cycle helmet research group - read the dutch study
50% of all accidents are by dutch mountain bikers (I love that mountain biking in holland, its like base jumping in holland)
46% of accidents is by racing bikes.
only 13% wore helmets.
so - it basically says - if you let a dutchman off the leash they go nuts , and over 3/4 were not wearing helmets.

only 4% of accidents involved people cycling normally - so its mountain biking and racing is the dangerous factor.

D

Deleted member 26715

But that is only one reason & two statements :-)

Alan...

Licramite

Über Member
It's very simple:- There is no evidence that cycle helmets reduce injury.

go to my latest crash sites on this forum and read. -
science ,statistics and studies can tell you what its like on top of everest - but only people who have been there can tell you what its really like on everest.

check out the number of times thier head has been involved in the crash, its most of them, you go down your head is most likely to hit the ground at one speed or another.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't give a toss.
Wear one if you want to. Or don't.
Either way, I don't give a s***. Do whatever you like :thumbsup:
Are you a politician if I can insult you so much? that's still only one reason & again two statements :laugh:

Alan...

... only 4% of accidents involved people cycling normally - so its mountain biking and racing is the dangerous factor.
It would be extraordinarily churlish of me to point out that your statement here is ....... "somewhat different" (? - I'm not misrepresenting you, am I?) from your other contributions to other threads on the subject?

So ... I shall refrain from being churlish.

I will restrict myself to being interested to hear how you define "cycling normally".

I will furthermore refrain from pointing out that you appear to be suggesting that 96% of accidents involving people cycling are actually about MTBers and racers trying to use their ears on the pedals, feet for the handlebars, and hands for miscellaneous gestures to badgers on the road.

There is of course another option - stop preaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom