Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Some of the biggest promoters of helmet compulsion are in the motor industry. Volvo for example. Why do you think that is?

I think Volvo are very clever marketeers. This sort of thing appeals nicely to their customer base in a sort of 'look at us. See how safe and responsible we are, so are our cars. Buy one and be safe' kind of way.

Jezston

Über Member
Punctuation! The head banging is doing damage that the poster can not appreciate....

Wear what you want. I dont wear a helmet and never will. At weekends I like to go down to the end of my garden and slam my head in to a brick wall randomly. I find that I have saved money on a helmet as my head is now tough enough to withstand any impact. I am moving on now though to concrete walls in the next few months.

Is that better?

Ahhh!

Kind of like shaolin monks pounding their fists into rocks to make the bones stronger? I suppose it would work!

Clandy

I think Volvo are very clever marketeers. This sort of thing appeals nicely to their customer base in a sort of 'look at us. See how safe and responsible we are, so are our cars. Buy one and be safe' kind of way.

Plus compulsion reduces cyclist numbers and increases car use.

Clandy

Having lived through the compulsion of motorbike helmets and car seat belts it hasn't stopped them so I can't see it will reduce cycling, you get over it and life carry s on.

In every country which has introduced cycle helmet compulsion cyclist numbers have reduced dramatically.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Having lived through the compulsion of motorbike helmets and car seat belts it hasn't stopped them so I can't see it will reduce cycling, you get over it and life carry s on.

You only have to look at the failure of the Melbourne cycling hire scheme compared to the success of the London hire scheme.
Compulsion does reduce cycling numbers. The Australian government are looking at scrapping the helmet laws dues to the falling number of
cyclists and cycling journeys and very low take up of cycling by children.

Davidc

Guru
OK point taken, but how many member on here would back up cycling

Like Uncle Mort I'd stop cycling in warm or hot weather. If I can't take the helmet off on uphills I physically can't cycle up them.

I'd have to walk for shorter trips and use the car for others, and give up leisure cycling from about mid May to mid September.

Midnight

Even if compulsion was introduced, I can't really see how they'd police it anyway. I can't see your average ninja/pavement jockey rushing out to buy a lid, so many already flout the regulations with impunity, and with the thin blue line beeing streched further and further I can't see the situation improving any day soon.

rb58

Enigma
I've worn a helmet since I first started cycling. But recently, and as my rides have got longer and longer, I've started to not wear one for very long rides. I find it too uncomfortable after more than a couple of hours. I've tried different helmets, and it's the same. I don't think it's to do with the fit, just the fact of having something on your head for that long. I will continue to wear a helmet for my commute though.

Dan B

Disengaged member
OK point taken, but how many member on here would pack up cycling
I would cycle less often, I suspect. But that's not really the point: people who are interested enough in cycling to post about it on forums are a minority who will put up with added inconveniences to do something they enjoy. We're not typical of the A-B utility cyclist riding a £100 BSO or even a £300 "city bike"

tyred

Legendary Member
An interesting question and although I wouldn't stop completely, I would definitely do less miles, especially in the summer for the reasons outlined by David.

As someone who participates in VCC rides and tries to dress in period clothing, I would feel a right prat turning up for a VCC ride on a 1940s bikes, in 1940s style clothing with a brightly coloured helmet on top. What is wrong with a flat cap? Would riders of vintage bikes be exempt in the same was as drivers of cars built before seat belts were normal are exempt from having to wear them?

It's irrelevant anyway as it will not be enforced by the police. They don't support it at all afaik. The only issue could be if you had an accident, the third party's insurance company could decide you were an illegal road user and refuse to pay.

MarkF

Guru

I too would stop riding on sunny days, right now, helmetless and free, I reach for my cycle rather than the bike or scooter for one reason only. Having to wear a helmet, to enjoy the simple pleasure of cycling would remove a lot of that pleasure and play havoc with my yin yang levels, I wouldn't cycle as much. :sad:

Helmets are for losers.

You could sell a lot of T-shirts you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom