Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
When ah were a lad, I had t' rescue bahks from t'canal. No fancy skips f'me.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
OK point taken, but how many member on here would pack up cycling

I would still carry on cycling and I would still not wear one irrespective of the law :bicycle:
There is no way the old bill would be able to police this if they cannot get on top of driving whilst using a mobile phone.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I stopped wearing one for cycling any long distances last year but still wear one to commute. I'm now thinking about giving up completely but need to convince SWMBO as she's not keen on this idea.

Having read what they are designed to protect against (hitting the floor from 1 metre etc) I'm not sure there are many situations where it would help. Plus years ago I rode head first into the back of a dumper truck without a helmet on. I had a long conversation with the doctor who put the stitches in my head around the merits of a helmet. The feeling was that if I'd been wearing a cheap helmet, they would have been removing pieces of helmet from my head and having to stitch me up anyway. If I'd been wearing an "approved" more expensive helmet, I would probably have saved myself some stitches but they didn't really know what effect the dissipation of force onto my spine and neck would have been (as it was I'd damaged most the muscles in my back anyway).

All that said I wouldn't want to be bracketed as anti-helmet. It's a very personal choice and I would never try to persuade someone not to wear one. Read up on them and decide if it's for you or not. Whatever you decide, make sure you keep riding and having fun!!!

Paco de Bango

How many teenagers would not bother cycling ever again if they had to wear a helmet by law?

Lots I'd say...... or at least a big proportion of the few that cycle these days

Won't someone please think of the children ;)

Davidc

Guru
I would cycle less often, I suspect. But that's not really the point: people who are interested enough in cycling to post about it on forums are a minority who will put up with added inconveniences to do something they enjoy. We're not typical of the A-B utility cyclist riding a £100 BSO or even a £300 "city bike"

I ride a £300 RRP bike which cost about £200 for about 1/3 of my miles and 2/3 of my journeys and very good it is for the job too!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 1335232"]
I think I would stop cycling if helmet wearing became law. I love the feeling of wind rushing my hair as I descend a hill touching 40. Of course those that are follicly challenged will never have that pleasure.:whistle:
[/quote]

helmets saves lives..!

Norm

[QUOTE 1335232"]
I think I would stop cycling if helmet wearing became law. I love the feeling of wind rushing my hair as I descend a hill touching 40. Of course those that are follicly challenged will never have that pleasure.:whistle:
[/quote]I leave my shirt undone to get similar results. :thumbsup:

helmets saves lives..!

Yep - they do.....

thudguard_lilac_2501.gif

Compulsory Thudguards!

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Not really a helmet wearer but I found a nice one that wont make me look like a plonker and I got it today, my Bern Watts EPS Matt Carbon. Love it

No offense mean to other cyclists of course, helmets are safe but I like to look good at the same time :-)

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I only wear a helmet when mountain biking - it really hurts when you whack your head on a low branch!

For some reason I don't wear one on the road bike - I suppose my logic is that if I get run over by a lorry, then a helmet is not going to do me much good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom