Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Funny reading this, I don't wear a helmet, nor do my family and I am vehemently opposed to complusory helmet wearing, it seems plenty of others are similar. Was thinking tho'..............I am cycling to Skipton later this morning from Leeds, along the Aire valley, I am pretty sure that I'll be the only non-helmet wearer, I usually am. :wacko:

Clandy

Not really a helmet wearer but I found a nice one that wont make me look like a plonker and I got it today, my Bern Watts EPS Matt Carbon. Love it

No offense mean to other cyclists of course, helmets are safe but I like to look good at the same time :-)

Do you know how hot that will be come summer?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Funny reading this, I don't wear a helmet, nor do my family and I am vehemently opposed to complusory helmet wearing, it seems plenty of others are similar. Was thinking tho'..............I am cycling to Skipton later this morning from Leeds, along the Aire valley, I am pretty sure that I'll be the only non-helmet wearer, I usually am. :wacko:

On my commute this morning.
I must have seen about 30 cyclists. Only one other apart from myself was not wearing a helmet.
What I also noticed was the prevalence of the 'commuter uniform', ie Hi viz jacket and helmet.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Not really a helmet wearer but I found a nice one that wont make me look like a plonker and I got it today, my Bern Watts EPS Matt Carbon. Love it

No offense mean to other cyclists of course, helmets are safe but I like to look good at the same time :-)

How do you find that style of helmet affects your noise perception? Just curious.

Woz!

So you would be no better than a motorist then so that make it right

No matter whether you believe the pro or anti helmet argument, there's no question that wearing a helmet makes it no safer for other people around you.
The same cannot be said for the majority of motoring laws. Even seatbelts protect he people in front from impact from the people in the back seats.

So I don't see that your point carries any weight.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I would buy a thudguard

thudguard_lilac_2501.gif

Dan B

Disengaged member
I ride a £300 RRP bike which cost about £200 for about 1/3 of my miles and 2/3 of my journeys and very good it is for the job too!

And I ride a £40 bike (albeit one with £150 of new wheels and chainset on it) for, uh, all the outdoor miles I've done this year so far. I wasn't intending to make this "about the bike", just to point out that the vast vast majority of people who use a bike view it as a tool for getting from A to B not as a "lifestyle choice", and so are not usually going to participate on cycling forums. Most people with computers on their desk at work don't post on computer forums ...

Paco de Bango

I'd wear a hollowed out cantaloupe melon.

with a half inch layer of the fleshy fruit left in to give me impact protection.... and a tasty snack at the end of my journey

Norm

What I also noticed was the prevalence of the 'commuter uniform', ie Hi viz jacket and helmet.
I've been wearing both for all of my commutes so far this year, but that's mostly because the helmet keeps my head warm and the Altura Nightvision jacket is windproof but not lined / padded, so it's the most appropriate cycling jacket I've got.

Small Norm II hasn't been well, so it's been over a week since I cycled, but I'll just be in a t-shirt if the weather stays like it is today.

On the helmet thing, I wrote in the IAM survey that I wear it to protect me from myself, not from anyone else. If I have an accident on my own (clipless moment, tree branch, pot-hole etc) then a helmet may help. If a car / van / truck / lorry is involved, though, it'll probably be of little use.

MarkF

Guru

Ran out of time and had a shorter MTB trip to Silsden, along the Leeds - Liverpool canal, beautiful weather, warm with minimal wind. :biggrin:

Usually, when I do a canal trip, on a weekday (non-kid day) I'd say 75% are helmet wearers but today, maybe it's Fukushima, Libya, the ecomomy and 2012 looming, but helmet wearers today were a measly 20/25% :thumbsup:

gannet

My Parents effectively forced me too when I was a teenager...

then I came off (over the handlebars) through my own stupidity and headbutted the ground... then the bike landed on my head :ohmy:

both of which would have seriously hurt if I hadn't have had the helmet on...

so YES always, even on short trips. You never know :biggrin:

I do respect the decisions of others for not wearing though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom