Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

I couldn't be arsed to read the last umteen pages .....

Bloody helmets should be banned. Every time I wear one on my mountain bike I crash ! When I don't wear it, I don't crash. And those kids, with full face helmets. They are all careering down mountains on so called downhill courses and ending up in A+E with broken limbs.

Bicycle

Yes I do, but I feel faintly silly wearing one.

Also, I slightly rose to the tutting I got from the Safety Nazis before I wore one. Which made me more determined to continue doing so...

Childish, but true.

I always preferred a cotton'casquette' in good weather and a sort of woollen cap comforter in poor weather.

My helmet is about 15 years old, from when I was teaching my eldest to ride and thought I ought to set a good example...

About a year ago, on a 20-mile commute to the office I had a 'moment' on a greasy descent and my confidence just melted.

Mid-40s and no longer bounce like I did.

I've worn a helmet ever since that week.

But I still look on with envy when I see someone whizzing along with a cotton cap on and no sun in their eyes...

My kids (all now riding all over the county) wear helmets, which I'm glad of - but when they're going down rural A-Roads a bollard's width from roaring artics, I don't know why I'm so casual about them wearing a mere gossamer of lycra to ride in....

Perversely, I have ALWAYS worn gloves, and feel very exposed on a bike when riding without them.. even to the shops.

NotFabian

EACC
Try reading some earlier posts.
It was a wee joke...playing on your words...

Why so serious?

danphoto

Someone using a mobile phone while driving is a lot more dangerous than a cyclist not wearing a helmet.

As I was chaining my bike to the hitching rail outside the local Waitrose yesterday, a white Range Rover parked on the double yellow outside and one of the chattering classes got out of it and set about releasing the obligatory two kids from whatever was securing them to the back seat.

As she headed for the entrance, she had the confounded cheek to say to me "You should get a helmet. You shouldn't be allowed on the road without one."

And I said to her "You overtook me at the bottom of this road ten minutes ago and your nearside mirror missed my arm by around 10 inches, but you wouldn't have noticed 'cos you were on the phone. Enjoy your shopping and die soon."

Rod

I always wear a helmet mountain biking (have come off too many times at speed to risk not wearing one) but not on my sedate daily commute (in London).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom