Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DamoDoublemint

I wear one, but I'm not entirely convinced on how much protection they provide.

The one time in the last 2 years I didn't wear one, I fell off my bike and hit my head (only time I've hit my head). I hit it pretty hard, and a helmet would probably have been destroyed if I'd been wearing one, but there was no damage - the skull is pretty resilient.

I still wear one, keeps the wife happy, and it's somwhere to keep the camera. I really don't agree with compulsory helmets, it's up to the individual if they wear one. Do what you feel comfortable doing.

I could prattle on for a good few pages as to why wearing a helmet is a bad idea, instead I will let this guy do the talking:
http://video.tedxcop...lville-andersen

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
2 crashes in the last 6 months. One at 20mph and one at 24 mph
whistling.gif

Both times the helmet broke but more importantly, my head didn't!!!

ThePainInSpain

Always on the bike, always on the Motor scooter and always wear my seat belt in the car. What a goody two shoes I am.

I had an off the other week, off road and in the middle of nowhere, I took a slight knock on the side of the helmet, maybe could have been worse if I was not wearing one.

I wear one, to protect SWMBO, If I have an accident and I am not wearing one, some clever a*** lawyer is bound to try and use this as an excuse to try and reduce the compen due to SWMBO. I also regard them in the same way as seat belts I just wear one.

MarkF

Guru
I don't, my wife doesn't and neither do my three children, 9, 12, & 16 although the youngest, my daughter, did have to wear one to school cycling day which sparked off a major tantrum.

Often, on a summer day, I'll choose my cycle over the motorbike or scooter just because I don't have to wear a helmet.

Smash your head against the wall a few times, if you like the feeling then don't bother with a helmet!

Why do people insist on this pathetic attempt to justify helmets?

It simply doesn't prove anything!

1. Repeat wearing a large soft fruit, thus proving that cyclists should wear fruit on their heads

pumpkinhead.JPG

2. Point out that this test applies when standing on one leg, proving unequivocally that one legged people should wear helmets

3. Point out that if you use the dashboard, this proves unequivocally that car occupants should war helmets

4. Point out that if you use a cooker it proves unequivocally that cooks should wear helmets

We could continue....

on the road

Über Member
Why do people insist on this pathetic attempt to justify helmets?

It simply doesn't prove anything!

1. Repeat wearing a large soft fruit, thus proving that cyclists should wear fruit on their heads

pumpkinhead.JPG

2. Point out that this test applies when standing on one leg, proving unequivocally that one legged people should wear helmets

3. Point out that if you use the dashboard, this proves unequivocally that car occupants should war helmets

4. Point out that if you use a cooker it proves unequivocally that cooks should wear helmets

We could continue....
+1

ramses

I too grew up when helmets were very rare, and I remember my brothers first uvex helmet, OMG! what an ugly thing it was.

But despite this he still wore it. Fortunately we now have some excellent designs.

I would never cycle without one myself as I like my head the way it is, with the brains and bones on the inside, covered by skin!

I know some people that argue they don't go fast enough to wear a helmet. I explain that speed has nothing to do with it, other than a whole lot more damage will be done at higher speeds, all over your body!

I read an article once, by a cyclist who now wears a helmet all the time as his female friend now lives in a wheel chair and is fed through a straw.
The reason she ended up in this state was not down to speed, or a car hitting her, she was actually stationary. She had just stopped at some lights and gotten her wheel stuck in a crack in the road, she tried to release her cleats but could't and just fell towards the path. Her head hit the curb side and the damage was done, needless to say, she wasn't wearing a helmet, and she was an experienced cyclist. It's a pretty non descript accident, happens to lots of cyclists falling off due to cleats not releasing, and they get away with it, unfortunately this poor woman didn't, and it only takes that one time.

At the end of the day it is a personal choice and hasn't been made law (as yet).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wear one most of the time ... but not all the time, and I make sure it fits and is adjusted correctly. One of its uses is to keep my hair out of my face and provide a shade for my eyes. My kids mostly wear them although the oldest one doesn't always. I don't have a problem with other people not wearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom