Helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I believe (having read it here before... so it must be true!) that bicycle helmets don't degrade like motorcycle helmets do. I think manufacturers might advise you to replace every 2 or 3 years (or whatever it is) but I don't believe there is any structural reason for that. Of course, if you've dropped the helmet then it could well be compromised and ought be replaced.

I think more notable is the number of cyclists don't wear their helmets as advised (I was going to say 'correctly'). I don't know about you lot, but I have to adjust the straps after maybe half a dozen rides just to get it all fitting right and proper again.

I replaced my helmet when it was about 3 years old ... I think the polystyrene perishes a bit ... and over the 3 years they get a bit bashed. I wish the helmet would stay adjusted ... rather than needing fiddling with every now and again.

My OH is quite keen that I get one and I must admit I'd want my son to wear one, so I suppose it's hypocritical of me to feel reluctant to do so myself.

That is originally why I first started wearing a helmet ... now its a habit. As another poster has said their skulls are thinner and they are much more likely to have those small falls off the bike - saves their head from a few cuts and scratches. But if they cycle somewhere and then go off to play they should remove it as there have been reports where the helmet caught on play equipment.

Deb13b

I've weighed up the pros n cons and I'm off to buy one today. I know I'll feel self-conscious in one but I do think it's worth it.

GrasB

Veteran
Never wear one road riding as the only times I've sustained head & neck injuries has been when wearing a helmet & when I read research into the subject the papers which seem to be the most systematic always seem to suggest a neutral to negative net safety increase.

I always one when riding off road, the close proximity of many things to hit various parts of the body just make it seem more prudent.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Wow, do what you want to do but can you just leave off the emotive crap, I mean:-

I know/knew someone that hit their head without a helmet and they're dead/seriously injured but a helmet would have stopped that - YOU DON'T KNOW THIS IT IS A GUESS

I, or someone I know, had a crash and the helmet was bashed this means it either saved a life or saved a serious injury - YOU DON'T KNOW THIS YOU ARE AGAIN GUESSING

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I said 'yes' earlier, I actually meant 'no' - don't know what I was thinking of, must have had a bump on the head!

May I be the first to offer the age old remedy of another bump to put things right....free of charge

potsy

Rambler
Thankyou. I'll be wearing a cycling cap for protection though!

Better whack him twice Mac, just to be on the safe side
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom