help, advice, encouragment needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Spend 2k on a really nice bike £500 on accessories then sit back and listen to the wife moan you don't ride it all that money spent etc so out you go to keep her happy simples :tongue:
as quite a 'portly' bloke, I said in may that if I lose 5 stone by next may I would treat myself to an expensive bike, with a relative who owns a bike shop I could have got a bargain, alas three stone down ive lost it again!!!

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
What time do you leave/arrive home if you drive ?
about 35 to 40 mins earlier or later depending on shift

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
you have forgotten the most important aspect of cycling, its all very well driving for fittness but without the most important thing its all to not avial
what is this thing? FUN i repeat FUN.slow down and look around chat to people, and ply on your bike,i cant get on mine without a silly grin and a feeling of look out world im comeing :bicycle::wahhey::bravo::hyper:

Born2die

as quite a 'portly' bloke, I said in may that if I lose 5 stone by next may I would treat myself to an expensive bike, with a relative who owns a bike shop I could have got a bargain, alas three stone down ive lost it again!!!
Keep going you will get there 18 months ago I was 21 stone I'm now 14 dead 15% body fat and got blagged into a local strongman tomorrow pop over to the pingles in Nuneaton about 1ish and come laugh at my expense

uclown2002

Guru
would love to but I work shifts, so on earlies it would mean me leaving home about 4.45 am, and on lates I wouldn't get home till 11pm. so not really prepared to do this although the 30 mile round trip would be handy. see another 'excuse!'
That is so lame!
MTFU and get out on your bike!

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
You told me you were struggling when I met you months ago.
Maybe for some motivation; one day, if one of us from around this neck of the woods thinks about putting together a forum ride you'll want to be ready because you know you will enjoy it. Just think, it could strike at any minute.......... :smile:
think what I need is a turbo trainer for the winter, now where can I get one of those for free? silly me, on here, but you beat me to it!!!!

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
That is so lame!
MTFU and get out on your bike!
what time do you leave, get home from work?

uclown2002

Guru
what time do you leave, get home from work?
I work 6-6; leave home at 0415 hrs for 25 mile extended commute. I cycle 18-20 mile home taking about an hour. So out the house from 0415 to 1900 hrs.

I also work night shifts also 6-6 but don't commute, preferring to ride during the day for 40-50 mile.

Days off, anywhere between 30-80 miles.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
I work 6-6; leave home at 0415 hrs for 25 mile extended commute. I cycle 18-20 mile home taking about an hour. So out the house from 0415 to 1900 hrs.

I also work night shifts also 6-6 but don't commute, preferring to ride during the day for 40-50 mile.

Days off, anywhere between 30-80 miles.
I used to love cycling home after nights, 6 in the morning, no traffic, all the early wildlife, foxes rabbits etc. you should try it? mtfu!!!

boydj

Legendary Member
It's all very well having a major goal, e.g. to lose 5 stone, but you need some intermediate targets that are not too difficult to achieve and allow you to make regular progress. You have a 15 mile journey to and from work. If you can cycle in one day, leave your bike and cycle home one other day, then get out for an hour or two over the week-end you'll have a good base to work on. Finding a club or group to get out with at the week-end would be a big help.

At the end of the day, though, you've got to want to do it. The hardest part is always getting the gear on and getting out of the door and onto the bike. Once you're on the bike, finishing a run is the easy bit.

Sara_H

Guru
would love to but I work shifts, so on earlies it would mean me leaving home about 4.45 am, and on lates I wouldn't get home till 11pm. so not really prepared to do this although the 30 mile round trip would be handy. see another 'excuse!'
Do you drive to work? Could you just ride the last five miles or so?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If you have any problems at all, don't sit at home and brood. Get on your bike and let the fresh air give you inspiration and motivation. I solve many of mine just riding the bike. It calms me down and let me think without anyone interrupting. Great therapy!:rolleyes:
If you are lucky enough not to have problems, get on your bike anyway for some peace and quiet.:bicycle:

screenman

Legendary Member
Stop trying to find the time for a long ride and just get out and do 15 or 20 minutes a couple of times, do not even bother getting dressed for the occasion, I bet a fiver this will get you going again.

The fiver goes to Children in need next time around, let me know if I need to open my wallet.

Top Bottom