help, advice, encouragment needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
last couple of years I've just seemed to 'quit' cycling for no apparent reason after building up a decent level of fitness, speed and considerable weight loss.
last year it was in October after an 'all inclusive' holiday, I couldn't get the enthusiasm back after a lot of indulgence.
this year it has happened again but earlier!
in june I completed 20 hours and 273 miles. in july I ramped it up to 34 hours and 514 miles, including my first ever metric century (actually 73 miles in 4hrs 50) but since then I have only done 6 hours with a total of 99 miles.
although the idea of going out still interests me I just cannot be bothered for some reason, and the weight is creeping back on again.
do any of you suffer from this? the weight gain alone should be enough to get me out again but it doesn't, I don't do any other exercise and am 46 years old so I know it can only be of benefit to me but I cant be bothered!
please come up with some hints/ideas that will give me my oomph back, although I know it is ultimately down to me to drag my arse out into the fresh air again!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Can you commute to work? Even if just one day a week? You can encourage yourself by thinking of petrol money saved, and have a warm glow of self-righteousness!

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Can you commute to work? Even if just one day a week? You can encourage yourself by thinking of petrol money saved, and have a warm glow of self-righteousness!
would love to but I work shifts, so on earlies it would mean me leaving home about 4.45 am, and on lates I wouldn't get home till 11pm. so not really prepared to do this although the 30 mile round trip would be handy. see another 'excuse!'

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
You told me you were struggling when I met you months ago.
Maybe for some motivation; one day, if one of us from around this neck of the woods thinks about putting together a forum ride you'll want to be ready because you know you will enjoy it. Just think, it could strike at any minute.......... :smile:

potsy

Rambler
would love to but I work shifts, so on earlies it would mean me leaving home about 4.45 am, and on lates I wouldn't get home till 11pm. so not really prepared to do this although the 30 mile round trip would be handy. see another 'excuse!'
Same shifts as me albeit my round trip is a bit less at 20 miles, can't see why you couldn't do it once or twice per week.
My motivation is waning a bit too, though mainly the weekend rides as my commuting is still up to par, it's hard to give a reason why, hope you get yours back soon though :thumbsup:

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
What time do you leave/arrive home if you drive ?

I used to be able to commute, although it was only a short one, and I'd be out every weekend and think nothing of doing between 40 - 60 miles.

I trained for the imperial, did that, but ever since I've just had an overwhelming CBA feeling!

Been out a couple of times and bitten off more than I could chew each time, so I doubt that's helped my cause.

I know what to so, make the effort, keep distances low and routes easy and build from there, but just can't shake that damned CBA feeling.

FWIW I am now doing a far more physical job than I was last year, but never the less, it's not a good enough excuse.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Same shifts as me albeit my round trip is a bit less at 20 miles, can't see why you couldn't do it once or twice per week.
My motivation is waning a bit too, though mainly the weekend rides as my commuting is still up to par, it's hard to give a reason why, hope you get yours back soon though :thumbsup:

Since i stopped commuting by bike i am gagging to get out on rest days. If anything my enthusiasm has grown which i think is more down to it being all about enjoyment now and not just getting from A-B.

chriss2.0

there are two things i can think of, if you are able to do it yourself, give your bike a good survace, take everything apart, give it a good lube and clean, connect with your bike. and when you are finally finished with your bike, you will be dying to go back on it again!

do something to enjoyable with your bike, something fun that will re ignite that lackluster fire.
like arange a half day out with ur mates, a picnic with your lass, or explore the countryside.

something refreshing or different

(ither that or hire a sgt major :tongue:)

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
there are two things i can think of, if you are able to do it yourself, give your bike a good survace, take everything apart, give it a good lube and clean, connect with your bike. and when you are finally finished with your bike, you will be dying to go back on it again!

do something to enjoyable with your bike, something fun that will re ignite that lackluster fire.
like arange a half day out with ur mates, a picnic with your lass, or explore the countryside.

something refreshing or different

(ither that or hire a sgt major :tongue:)

I could do with one of those, the Sgt Major that is, to get me up a few hills :laugh:

jayonabike