help, advice, encouragment needed please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Broughtonblue
If you have any problems at all, don't sit at home and brood. Get on your bike and let the fresh air give you inspiration and motivation. I solve many of mine just riding the bike. It calms me down and let me think without anyone interrupting. Great therapy!:rolleyes:
If you are lucky enough not to have problems, get on your bike anyway for some peace and quiet.:bicycle:
always said you can solve a lot of problems on the bike, also fishing, another solo sport that gives you time in the fresh air

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Stop trying to find the time for a long ride and just get out and do 15 or 20 minutes a couple of times, do not even bother getting dressed for the occasion, I bet a fiver this will get you going again.

The fiver goes to Children in need next time around, let me know if I need to open my wallet.
best reply yet, thank you! that in itself has made me think about going tomorrow. I will match your fiver with a donation to loros (a local charity for end of life cancer sufferers) watch this space!!!!

Hip Priest

Veteran
Goals, weight-loss, increased stamina...etc These things sound very dry, no? Try enjoying cycling for cycling's sake. You'll find you enjoy it more and want to go out more, then you'll end up getting fitter anyway.

last couple of years I've just seemed to 'quit' cycling for no apparent reason after building up a decent level of fitness, speed and considerable weight loss....

Much good sense written in this thread so far. In truth, this sort of deflation of enthusiasm happens a LOT and it happens to a LOT of people.

When I've needed to re-kindle my enthusiasm, I've started a little log (route, time, weather, what I liked, what I didn't etc). Not for publishing, just for me.

Looking back, I find old ones where I was clearly trying to get my weight down (bottom left of every page is weight in kilos).

I can see when usable computers arrived and I suddenly seem to obsess about average speed and all that malarkey...

But I digress. Keep a log. Keep it personal, just note what it amuses you to note and find the fun again.

It is fun and if you enjoyed it before you will enjoy it again. You posted here, so you clearly have an itch you need to scratch.

I am sure you will find the bug again and I wish you well. :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

always said you can solve a lot of problems on the bike, also fishing, another solo sport that gives you time in the fresh air
Very true.

Anyhoo, after months of procrastination I went for a run jog this afternoon I did. I hadn't time to get ready to go on the bike, so I threw the dogs harness on, (on the dog not me), threw on my trainers and we went out the door.

Only 2.5 miles in a little under half and hour, (so Mo Farah is definitely safe), and I have no doubt my legs will be screaming at me until about Wednesday, but I feel really pleased with my little big self :becool:

Moral of the story, it's not all about the bike, try something else as well, it might just re-ignite your pilot light :thumbsup:

Sara_H

Guru
Goals, weight-loss, increased stamina...etc These things sound very dry, no? Try enjoying cycling for cycling's sake. You'll find you enjoy it more and want to go out more, then you'll end up getting fitter anyway.

I second this advice. I struggled to find what kind of cyclist I was for many years. I used to get clad in Lycra and try to improve times etc. Then I realised that wasn't me and just stopped. I started riding when it was either the most convenient or pleasurable option, and found I was riding more as a result.

Breedon

Legendary Member
last couple of years I've just seemed to 'quit' cycling for no apparent reason after building up a decent level of fitness, speed and considerable weight loss.
last year it was in October after an 'all inclusive' holiday, I couldn't get the enthusiasm back after a lot of indulgence.
this year it has happened again but earlier!
in june I completed 20 hours and 273 miles. in july I ramped it up to 34 hours and 514 miles, including my first ever metric century (actually 73 miles in 4hrs 50) but since then I have only done 6 hours with a total of 99 miles.
although the idea of going out still interests me I just cannot be bothered for some reason, and the weight is creeping back on again.
do any of you suffer from this? the weight gain alone should be enough to get me out again but it doesn't, I don't do any other exercise and am 46 years old so I know it can only be of benefit to me but I cant be bothered!
please come up with some hints/ideas that will give me my oomph back, although I know it is ultimately down to me to drag my arse out into the fresh air again!

I suffer from the same thing been like that for a few years it doesn't help with having depression as well, but this year has been different been out a lot on the bike and took up running as well was able to run 10 miles in may but for some reason stopped, till a few days ago then started it up again.

I'm determined to keep at it and not give in to the *I'll go out tomorrow*

snorri

Legendary Member
Setting yourself a monthly mileage target on My Cycling Log could provide the incentive to get out on the bike.There is no need to include times, and don't look at the mileages covered by some members, just set yourself a modest target and get out there.:smile:
Another possible incentive could be Geocaching, (geek alert!), again, you don't need to let it get competitive, you can just choose to find a cache within reasonable cycling distance of home. it can take you down roads you have not been on for some time.
www.geocaching.com
www.mycyclinglog.com

colly

Re member eR
I've not been out much this year. I claim it is that have been so busy I've not found the time. Of course that's a load of bullshit, I have just lost the motivation is the real reason.
The enthusiasm comes and goes but mostly it is strong. I have been out a couple of times in the past week and I am miffed that I didn't get a ride in today. So I am hoping the urge to get out is back.
No advice to offer really apart from think about why you enjoy cycling, focus on the benefits you derive and eventually you'll be getting out.
It's like after a long ride on a cold wet day where the last 10 miles or so are purgatory. By the time you get back everything aches, you're chilled to the bone and the very last thing you ever want to do is get back on a bloody bike again.
30 mins later, dried off, warmed up, a cup of tea down your neck you have forgotten the misery of the last miles and you start thinking of the next ride.

classic33

Leg End Member
would love to but I work shifts, so on earlies it would mean me leaving home about 4.45 am, and on lates I wouldn't get home till 11pm. so not really prepared to do this although the 30 mile round trip would be handy. see another 'excuse!'
Used to work split shifts 240 miles a weekend to & from work, done at the times you give, whatever the weather. Next excuse?

I got this after getting back from ten nights on holiday, it's strange how a break can affect you like this rather than make you look forward to getting back on the bike. I just wasn't bothered about going out. I had to force myself to just get out there for one ride, and then it was like I'd never lost it. Even if it's just half a mile round the block, I think it's just getting back into the habit of going for a ride!

Top Bottom