Help needed setting up 9 speed Shimano STI gears!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am setting up a tourer ( this https://www.biketart.com/bikes-c1/frames-c33/ridgeback-panorama-deluxe-frameset-p12171) and having a nightmare getting my head around the gears.

I am not a first timer, but also not an expert!

Gear shifters are 9 speed Sora triple. I haven't got to the front yet, just the back!

This set of levers http://www.highonbikes.com/shimano-sora-r3000-sti-gear-brake-levers-9-speed-triple.html

The cassette is 12-32, shimano brand. XT hub

The rear mech is https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/deraill...ed-shadowplus-rear-derailleur-black-sgs-cage/ - bizzarely does not have a barrel adjuster.I do have a barrel adjuster on the downtube (one mounted on the frame) but fiddly to use

Process so far is to set the H and L stops by eye (without cables in place) and pushing the mech it swings in and out fine so the jockey wheels are aligned

I then installed the cables, got tension approx right with chain on smallest sprocket, but when I run through the gears the mech only moves up to the 3rd sprocket. Almost as if the STI lever is moving the mech in smaller increments than needed (e.g. if the mech needs to move 3mm per cog it is only moving 2mm so ends up not moving into the biggest cogs).

Am I missing something fundamental here, have I got a mismatch of kit, and can anyone HELP!! I have the phone set to loud, so your postings will ping in very fast!

In case it helps (can't see it will) FYI the chain is on without having been cut to size yet.....

Did you ensure the lever was set to the correct "end" ? Ie it was in first or last gear? Cause maybe it was already in 6th gear and you set that to first?

The leversame are road type and the mech is off road type I think, might have different pull ratios

I'd wait on someone to confirm this before potentially marking the derailleur and not being able to exchange.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I was wondering that but my brain tells me that the mech has nothing clicky in it, merely it responds to movement of the cable.... but I may well be wrong

also BTW the rear mech says 11 speed but SJS said not an issue for 9 speed

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
I am off to LBS for the walk of shame

That rear mech is going to have a different pull ratio to the levers. I don't think you'll be able to get it to work. 9 speed road has a 1.7 pull ratio and 11 speed mtn bike a 1.1 ratio. You need a nine speed rear derailleur.

si_c

Guru
Basically what @Crackle and @dantheman said, Shimano 9 speed derailleurs all use a standard pull ratio, but shimano changed it for their 10speed MTB groupsets (1.2x) and best I can understand also again for their 11 speed (1.1x). This is important because the distance that the chain moves side to side must be very close to the distance between the centre line of the sprockets (4.35mm for 9 speed cassettes).

The distance that the chain moves is the cable pull ratio (in this case 1.1) multipled by the amount of cable that the shifter moves (2.5mm for Sora shifters). So you can see that when the cable is pulled it's not moving the chain far enough over each time. That might be enough for the first click, but then you'll just get dogshit.

I'd suggest putting the Sora RD-R3000-GS derailleur on, you'll get plenty of range out of that (up to 34t officially, but I run a 36t for particularly hilly rides).

The rear mech won't with those levers, done this myself. If you mix road and MTB, they must be the same or close number of gears, and 9-speed or less, as the ratios changed.
It's always the front you can't mix regardless.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
All I can say is I have Sora nine speed lever, Alivio rear mech (MTB?) with a triple and it works fine.
I would have thought what you have should work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
All very helpful...THANKS

Been to LBS and the usual disagreement amongst themselves, but eventually worked out that a 9 speed MTB mech is ok. they fitted it and got it working - not as buttery smooth as I would like but I will fiddle. and @Cycleops it is an Alivio

Now going to attempt the front! Always find them harder than rear!

Top Bottom