Hex key set - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stompier

Looking for a good quality set of hex keys (metric) up to about £20. Teng and Wera are the names that keep coming up. Anyone have any experience of either, or can suggest alternatives?

thanks in advance :smile:

My pedros ones are fine.
Years of use, no degredation.
Get a set which has ball ends on one end.

Edit, just checked, seem to fall outside your limit, may be available for less.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/pedros-hex-wrench-set/rp-prod13808

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I got a nice stainless set from Facom - I needed stainless because I bought it specially for diving, but it was under £20 if I recall correctly.
I find Facom pretty good make in any case and fairly priced by and large. I do also have a buttock clenchingly expensive facom T-bar set of allen keys, which is great and I'm glad I've got but it was close to £80; worth it, but still ...

Ps
I don't know if all hex sets are magnetic.
My pedros are.
Makes them very handy for manipulating ball bearings when servicing shimano hubs, positioning the bearings in the grease etc.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It's worth paying a bit more for the smaller sized ones.if you are using them all the time. but for basic use £20.00 should get you a descent set.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I concur - I've got a couple of Bondhus fold up keys, useful as an adjunct to a set like that above. I think you can get a triple set of meteic, imperial and torx fold up or loose sets for quite reasonable money.

OP
OP
Stompier

Stompier

If you have ALDI nearby, take a look.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have an Aldi and a Screwfix (among others) nearby. I have previously bought Aldi tools, but while they may be cheap, they are probably not the level of quality I'm after.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've been using a set from Wilkos for the last few years,they work fine and look is though they'll keep going for the next few years

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have some rather nice Facom t handled hex keys that I bought individually for the most common sizes, to cover everything else I have a set of Teng's. To be honest on a bike, you probably don't need the highest of quality, but I would stay away from the really cheap, made of cheese ones and also try and avoid using a ball end if you can help it.

Top Bottom