HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mickle I'll ignore being called a muppet for now at least, but all that will happen is. Pressure groups will push and push. something will get done but here will be a cost. See you can't have the cake and eat it in this world. In the case of cycling safety,

1/ Everyone will have to pass a test.
2/ All bikes will have to be MOT'd
3/ Cyclists will need a compulsory insurance
4/ All bikes will need some kind of registration number
5/ New rules will come on law to say what you can and can't do.
6/ Finally as a road user you will pay some kind of duty

It doesn't matter if the new system would be workable, it would just create problems for everyone..

But you will get the safer bike friendly HGV's and town centers.

Also go do some research and see how much money the haulage industry puts into the coffers of the treasury,
then go see how much cycling puts in. Money does seem to a have a lot of influence when it comes down to the
bottom line.

As for my attitude I just speak from experience @mickle I guess I went past 1,000,000 miles more than a few years ago.

Yes things need to change I don't disagree, yes there are lots of drivers that are just unaware of the danger they pose to cyclists
and also probably a % that don't care. All I did was not put forward a cycling biased opinion. You being the narrow minded person
you are couldn't see past that. It wasn't posted to score points or gain favour or make me feel good.

Chris..
Oh dear. Cycling saves a fortune for society. The lack of damage and death. The health benefits. Hospitals are full of fat guys who drive everywhere not injured cyclusts. I couldn't care less if it costs the haulage industry more. It might make then employ people who haven't been banned numerous tines of dont fiddle tacho or drive on the mobile.

@Chris_Kn

If you look at my previous posts I'm far from cycling biased on these issues, and have got into disagreements with the usuals about it.

But to argue that hgv needs less control due to the money they bring in is ridiculous.

You can't seriously be suggesting that money fit the economy is worth killing cyclists for?

Chris_Kn

Regular
@Chris_Kn

If you look at my previous posts I'm far from cycling biased on these issues, and have got into disagreements with the usuals about it.

But to argue that hgv needs less control due to the money they bring in is ridiculous.

You can't seriously be suggesting that money fit the economy is worth killing cyclists for?

I'm not arguing that at all Phil, just pointing out what might happen. It isn't right that ££££'s always seem to have more say. But just because it isn't
right doesn't mean it won't happen. Nothings worth killing any road user for not just cyclists. I know it's a cycling forum so answers will be focused
it that direction. Sometimes objectivity gets blinkered I just went in the total opposite direction.

@0-markymark-0
I'm well aware of how much good cycling does, but it doesn't put billions £'s in. It might save the odd fat bloke,
make everyone a little fitter. Doesn't kill anyone. As for the I don't care what it costs the haulage industry point,
I suppose everything in your house has never been on a lorry?? Hmmm!! Any import in a shipping container.
All food in your local super market. guess you hate them but can't live without them.

Mickle I'll ignore being called a muppet for now at least, but all that will happen is. Pressure groups will push and push. something will get done but here will be a cost. See you can't have the cake and eat it in this world. In the case of cycling safety,

1/ Everyone will have to pass a test.
2/ All bikes will have to be MOT'd
3/ Cyclists will need a compulsory insurance
4/ All bikes will need some kind of registration number
5/ New rules will come on law to say what you can and can't do.
6/ Finally as a road user you will pay some kind of duty

It doesn't matter if the new system would be workable, it would just create problems for everyone..

But you will get the safer bike friendly HGV's and town centers.

Also go do some research and see how much money the haulage industry puts into the coffers of the treasury,
then go see how much cycling puts in. Money does seem to a have a lot of influence when it comes down to the
bottom line.

As for my attitude I just speak from experience @mickle I guess I went past 1,000,000 miles more than a few years ago.

Yes things need to change I don't disagree, yes there are lots of drivers that are just unaware of the danger they pose to cyclists
and also probably a % that don't care. All I did was not put forward a cycling biased opinion. You being the narrow minded person
you are couldn't see past that. It wasn't posted to score points or gain favour or make me feel good.

Chris..

Okay, lets say for arguments sake that the controls you mention are put into place.

Please cite (with the greatest respect) a case of a cyclist being killed in London and how the controls you mention would prevemt such a death.

Dan B

Disengaged member
As for the I don't care what it costs the haulage industry point,
I suppose everything in your house has never been on a lorry?? Hmmm!! Any import in a shipping container.
All food in your local super market. guess you hate them but can't live without them.
If someone offered you the chance to buy all your consumer goods for 10% off, but the caveat was that an extra ten people a year would die, would you take it?

I'm not arguing that at all Phil, just pointing out what might happen. It isn't right that ££££'s always seem to have more say. But just because it isn't
right doesn't mean it won't happen. Nothings worth killing any road user for not just cyclists. I know it's a cycling forum so answers will be focused
it that direction. Sometimes objectivity gets blinkered I just went in the total opposite direction.

@0-markymark-0
I'm well aware of how much good cycling does, but it doesn't put billions £'s in. It might save the odd fat bloke,
make everyone a little fitter. Doesn't kill anyone. As for the I don't care what it costs the haulage industry point,

'Save the odd fat bloke' I suggest ypu research the cost of treating diabetes and obesity in this country and then how cycling could perhaps reduce this.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Okay, lets say for arguments sake that the controls you mention are put into place.

Please cite (with the greatest respect) a case of a cyclist being killed in London and how the controls you mention would prevemt such a death.
I could imagine a cyclist failing their MOT - no tread on their slicks, perhaps - so going to work by train and tube, leaving a tipper truck one less cyclist to hit. Might get hit by the truck but they wouldn't be a cyclist, would they?

Further legislation of cyclists will do nothing towards increasing road safety or reducing journey times. Besides, cyclists aren't the problem that legislation and enforcement should be solving.

I could imagine a cyclist failing their MOT - no tread on their slicks, perhaps - so going to work by train and tube, leaving a tipper truck one less cyclist to hit. Might get hit by the truck but they wouldn't be a cyclist, would they?

Further legislation of cyclists will do nothing towards increasing road safety or reducing journey times. Besides, cyclists aren't the problem that legislation and enforcement should be solving.

Agreed, I'm waiting for Chris to make it part of the road traffic act for cyclists to move out the way when a hgv is approaching. After all this will make it "safer' for bikes and hgvs to share the road. Not forgetting of course that there is already a bit of the rta about driving with due care and attention. And with this checking ones mirrors at a traffic light before moving off.
Made easier of course by looking at the near side mirrors when you are sitting there stationary at the lights.

Chris_Kn

Regular
There's no way I'll try and argue individual points, but from the manner they seem to be posted it looks like something I posted must have had a ring of truth.
Guys all I've done is point extremes out, if they don't sit well hey it's your problem. I would hate anything like the things mentioned to happen. As for sarcasm,
I find it used by fools and idiots, when they have nothing better to say.

Lets just point out that in politics everything is a compromise.

Cyclists demand safer roads to ride on.
Government of the day, OK we'll do this this and this and it will be law.
But, you will be legislated and abide by the new rules.
Cyclists, but that's isn't fair.
Government, we know but you have got what you wanted.

Just remember that any rule changes would have to include all Europe as well, we all know how militant the French lorry drivers can be.

@0-markymark-0
Oh dear. Cyvling eoyld save thousands of years of ill people in hospital. Huge numbers. Not the off one. Yes stuff is delivered by lorry. If they can't do it safely the gits must be forced.

Chris_Kn

Regular
@0-markymark-0 Cycling can only help the general populations heath IF individuals take up the personal challenge. They can't be forced to, unless that is the next step in your plan. Please accept that the road is a dangerous place, the more people use it the more people will get hurt. More lorries will lead to more numpty drivers, more cyclists will lead to more cyclists involved in accidents just because we are the most vulnerable. Unless the whole infrastructure is changed there really isn't a feasible answer, any other solution is just applying a sticking plaster to an open cut.

@Dan B perhaps so Dan, but they aren't my views just an alternative talking point. Asking me to look for stats on diabetes/obesity isn't really the point. Not once have I said hey this is my opinion and I'm right.

classic33

Leg End Member
The haulage industry is at present fighting for further legislation not to be brought in for cyclists.
The simple reason being the increased cost to them. As part of this package they have conceded the safety aspect is down to them.
Boris hijacked the scheme for his own ends, but that's the thin edge of the wedge. Cost of these measures, per vehicle, were posted on here.

On the MOT question, who's going to be doing it? Will it include the engine(the rider(s)), and will you as a driver be made to sit the same test? You can't pick and choose what parts of the test you want to take part in. So I'd think twice before saying it'll come. Because if it does, you'll have more tests for yourself.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

@0-markymark-0

How many fat kids and adults do we all see in a day?, why are very eminent medical types talking about an Obesity timebomb and a Diabetes epidemic? Why do the government sponsor wellbeing and fitness programs?

Because lack of physical exercise is making us a nation of people like the passengers in the spaceship in Wall-E. All of this assists in putting an intolerable strain on the NHS, costs M/Billions a year in treatment, lost productivity from the workforce, state support for those too ill to work...... Offset against by far the loudest and most frequent mantra of the non cyclist:

I would but it is too dangerous.

Facts and evidence by the bucket load can't shift the prejudice of a gory headline and a photo of a tipper truck stopped mid turn and a lumpy blanket on the ground next to it.

Not everyone wants or can afford the gym, cycling is a massively cost effective manner of solving m/billions of £s of health issues a year as well as freeing up road space for people who NEED to drive, like hauliers, from traffic jams added to by people too scared by the current status quo to get out of their cars and onto bikes.

'The odd fat bloke' hahahaha

not only does cycling not kill (and maim) daily like motorised traffic does, it enhances health and wellbeing and keeps people alive and off the care bill for far longer.

You accuse a cycling forum of being blinkered whilst yourself focussing solely on the ££££ haulage brings in, ignoring or simply not considering the part it plays in costing £££ in other ways.

Top Bottom