HGVs and cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BEHMOTH66

I used to work for sainsburys at their distribution depot at Haydock. Lots of the drivers came to work by bike. The bike sheds were packed. This was a regular thing at a lot of the depots, the same for tescos. I've known quite a few long distance drivers, including myself, take their bikes on trips with them. That is just my experience. You may have more experience than me about lorry drivers and bikes. But my hunch is that you have no idea and are just guessing. How can you possibly know how many truck drivers ride bikes.

I'm not all for truck drivers but I am against total drivel if its being used to put a case across.
sure they were the lorry drivers and not the warehouse personnel ????

Lonestar

Veteran
Obviously none with all the drivel and the "I hate cyclists" threads I see on other forums or in the media/Metro.Quoted all the same crap about cyclists for the last ten plus years + and the constant wind ups from motorists in the messroom which has now come to a situation now where I just ignore and don't engage.The RLJers who are also motorists but go out of their way with the WUMs (online) and wherever when in motorists mode.Lycra louts,road tax,Mamils etc etc etc,stirred up by the media so the idiot public fall for it.

RANT OVER.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's interesting that when we cycle in the Yorkshire Dales, the vehicles we fear most are the quarry trucks. These are the four-axle tippers, which shuttle back and forth to the limestone quarries all day. Presumably their drivers are paid by the load and familiar with the routes and I guess they must handle pretty well empty, with their stiff suspension and all those wheels and a high viewpoint from the cab because they are always driven fast and will blast past you frighteningly fast and close.

These seem to be the type of vehicle that is mostly responsible for the deaths of cyclists who don't understand the dangers. As others have written above, the drivers are probably not of the same calibre as long-distance HGV drivers who have a whole lot of other challenges to tackle in their daily routine.

The lorry driver, knowing he'd be putting the cyclist in danger, should hang back.

GC

Of course, and I'm not suggesting he shouldn't. But it's not reality.

I'm not talking of fantasist scenarios, when that lorry comes to the side of you, the best thing to do is hang bag and let it go. After all, if they're so incosiderate that they have squeezed next to you, why trust them with your safety? I'm not in anyway suggesting that the lorry is "correct", merely that if you're in that situation that you have an ability to keep yourself safe.

I don't cycle in heavily populated areas, but at a junction with a left turn and a straight on, why are so many people seemingly positioned next to the curb to go straight on? Is it just me that will take primary at a junction like this to go straight?

Road freight enjoys gigantic subsidies. HGVs are parasites on the roads, they pay virtually nothing toward the damage they cause. You have truckers on twitter boasting about hurting cyclists, you hve rampant anti-cyclist sentiment on trucknet, including "jokes" about killing us and the industry as a whole has the worst criminality rate among road users. The lorry drivers who killed Ms Patel and Mr Neve had between them been banned from driving 25 (twenty five) times. Both got jobs driving 30 ton lorries in the capital. Two cyclists, neither doing anything wrong, killed by men who should never have been allowed behind the wheel. How many more lorry drivers like that are out there? Count how many HGVs overtake you and remember every eighth one is on the road illegally.

Absolutely, the issue is that legislating safety features into HGVs will not fix this issue. There needs to be a change to the system. If the HGV was as dangerous of a vehicle, as many suggest, we would be seeing far more incidents. In fact, it seems the fault is primarily with poor drivers.

SpaceGhost

Absolutely, the issue is that legislating safety features into HGVs will not fix this issue. There needs to be a change to the system. If the HGV was as dangerous of a vehicle, as many suggest, we would be seeing far more incidents. In fact, it seems the fault is primarily with poor drivers.

I note the Mayor's Office is trying to introduce prescribed routes with fewer left turns. I'm not sure how feasible that is given the increasing number large construction projects in London. HGVs are already limited as to when they can enter London an unpopular compromise could be prescribed routes which bans cyclists or HGVs from high risk junctions depending on the use cases.

Sadly given the finite space on London's roads I doubt they'll ever find a workable solution but hopefully the increased publicity around the problem will make both drivers and cyclists much more careful of each other.

Chris_Kn

Regular
So with changes to HGV design and being routed to be safer and longer in distance and time. Who is going to pay for all this??

classic33

Leg End Member
I note the Mayor's Office is trying to introduce prescribed routes with fewer left turns. I'm not sure how feasible that is given the increasing number large construction projects in London. HGVs are already limited as to when they can enter London an unpopular compromise could be prescribed routes which bans cyclists or HGVs from high risk junctions depending on the use cases.

Sadly given the finite space on London's roads I doubt they'll ever find a workable solution but hopefully the increased publicity around the problem will make both drivers and cyclists much more careful of each other.
Thought Boris had banned trucks from parts of London, at certain times, effective from the 1st of this month.

Lonestar

Veteran
Ironically I came up against a large left turning lorry near the Bow flyover yesterday and as soon as he threw it to the right first I knew what he was doing but he was looking out well.Guess he had to look out for cars coming up the inside as well.Not a problem because I was aware but good of him to look anyway.

I can appreciate the terrible blindspots they have.Glad I don't have to drive one.Must be a nightmare at times and a good lorry driver is very skilled.

Reactions: mjr

Chris_Kn

Regular
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the amount of cyclists that have near misses due to there own negligence??
How about this example, Take one cyclist, with the obligatory dark glasses, and bike computer/all singing and dancing phone,
add the ear buds playing there fav music. You have NO idea what is going on around you, you glance at the phone/BC, find that
small pothole and opps big wobble and a near miss. You don't post all the details on here as it was your fault and you would get slagged off for it.
Or you just nip down the inside and clip a wing mirror/scratch down the side of a car because you weren't really paying any attention due to all the gizmos being used.
Or the pram you just hit because you are on the phone or resetting garmin or Mp3 player. Add to that the nervous newcomer commuter and it's a recipe for disaster.
Nothing ever seems to get said about this side of the argument re road safety. Nothing gets said and reported because really nothing serious happened,
I hope no ones luck runs out.

So, yes I've had cars scratched, wing mirrors bent the wrong way. Cyclists leaning on the near-side side rails of the lorry I've been driving, guess it saved unclipping.
Seen grannies nearly get knocked over, mothers having to take that quick step back as the cyclist with the knee stuck out nearly KO's her toddler.

Cyclists are very vulnerable road uses but there is a lot they can do to help them selves just by being more aware of people/things around them.
Accidents will always happen though.

As for spending money to make cycling safer, it's a great idea. BUT re-routing vehicles so there are fewer left turns. more mirrors. jesus I'll spend
more time time looking at mirrors than looking where I'm going. Plus all mirrors do is create more blind spots, cameras I hear you cry, get real I'll be like
the cyclist in my example above, to busy looking inside the cab at gizzmos than looking what is outside.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread is the amount of cyclists that have near misses due to there own negligence??
How about this example, Take one cyclist, with the obligatory dark glasses, and bike computer/all singing and dancing phone,
add the ear buds playing there fav music. You have NO idea what is going on around you, you glance at the phone/BC, find that
small pothole and opps big wobble and a near miss. You don't post all the details on here as it was your fault and you would get slagged off for it.
Or you just nip down the inside and clip a wing mirror/scratch down the side of a car because you weren't really paying any attention due to all the gizmos being used.
Or the pram you just hit because you are on the phone or resetting garmin or Mp3 player. Add to that the nervous newcomer commuter and it's a recipe for disaster.
Nothing ever seems to get said about this side of the argument re road safety. Nothing gets said and reported because really nothing serious happened,
I hope no ones luck runs out.

So, yes I've had cars scratched, wing mirrors bent the wrong way. Cyclists leaning on the near-side side rails of the lorry I've been driving, guess it saved unclipping.
Seen grannies nearly get knocked over, mothers having to take that quick step back as the cyclist with the knee stuck out nearly KO's her toddler.

Cyclists are very vulnerable road uses but there is a lot they can do to help them selves just by being more aware of people/things around them.
Accidents will always happen though.

As for spending money to make cycling safer, it's a great idea. BUT re-routing vehicles so there are fewer left turns. more mirrors. jesus I'll spend
more time time looking at mirrors than looking where I'm going. Plus all mirrors do is create more blind spots, cameras I hear you cry, get real I'll be like
the cyclist in my example above, to busy looking inside the cab at gizzmos than looking what is outside.
I've had more near misses due to other people than my own fault by a long way. This morning 7 am cycled one mile, met 4 cars in total, two sensible, two took risks, first overtaking me as car coming the opposite side of the road was coming, the second pulled out of a side road as I was literally passing causing me to brake. I didn't do anything stupid on that one mile journey. I must admit I did think that it was a much higher proportion of idiots around at that time this morning.

Top Bottom