Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For you consideration, Dunedin, New Zealand has Baldwin Street

Apparently the the road surface is concrete because the usual bitumen would flow down the hill on a hot day.

Baldwinstreet.jpg

https://www.strava.com/segments/686663

bpsmith

Veteran
18% average.

More interestingly, only 5 ladies have tackled it, compared to 102 men. Shows the difference in mentality between the sexes!

bpsmith

Veteran
Instead of speculation, you could find a flat segment https://www.strava.com/segments/6776945

so about 22% of strava users in Dunedin are women, compared to 5% of people who recorded that climb. It still doesn't tell you about their mentality. Men have more muscle than women, so it might be the same proportion of strava riders who could conceivably climb it that attempt it.
True, although muscle goes against you on a steep climb too. An 18st beast of a man, with very low body fat would struggle against a 7st fit lady, for example.

I would certainly not assume that steep hills aren't physically for ladies. ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have too: on the Isle of Bute there is a more winding than steep short hill.
Got up it, walked down it, too scared of the bends :laugh:
Sometimes, it might be the safest option.

I took a forum ride down Deepdale in the Yorkshire Dales once. I knew that there was a steep twisty descent ahead of us so I stopped at the top and warned everybody about it. Unfortunately, a female cyclist was killed on that descent a few weeks later when she crashed in the wet.

This descent. (It doesn't really look as steep in the photo as it is in reality.)

deepdale-to-dentdale-jpg.97773.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I took a forum ride down Deepdale in the Yorkshire Dales once. I knew that there was a steep twisty descent ahead of us so I stopped at the top and warned everybody about it. Unfortunately, a female cyclist was killed on that descent a few weeks later when she crashed in the wet.

This descent. (It doesn't really look as steep in the photo as it is in reality.)

I think I'd not want to speed down it to enable myself to enjoy that view!

GuyBoden

Guru

I'd rather cycle up that, than cycle down.

That looks like one of those nasty descents that's starts steep and gets steeper. I agree with many of the comments here about downhill often being the greater worry/challenge. 'The Hale' by our family place is like that, not because of the hill profile but because it's steep, very narrow and winds through a cutting surrounded by trees. If you encounter anyone driving up, at any sort of speed at all, then you've absolutely nowhere to go. When climbing you're going so slowly you can usually hear a car coming in time, get off the bike and lean into the hedge/siding.

If you're cycling near Wendover I'd recommend it though. Nearby Aston Hill and Dunsmore (either way up) are both fun but the Hale is just an evil, sneaky one (keeps getting steeper and you can't see the actual top until the last few meters).

Then there are also times when you know you simply HAVE to get off, like when your wheels won't grip because of wet leaves, or you suddenly pull an impromptu wheelie and fall off the back of your bike.

I haven't walked up one yet though I've had to turn back once but I've certainly pulled a wheelie or three (but stayed on) getting up some. It did rather come as a shock the first time...it just hadn't occurred to me!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The problem with turning back is that if turning back sends you in the opposite direction to where you want to go. Which may even be home!

Top Bottom