Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you get a sense of pride from getting to the top of the hill, then there will be a counterbalancing negative if you get off and push. This may be as minor as "ho hum ... next time maybe", or may be full blown shame. But it comes from within, not without.

Recently I had a long bad day out in horrible weather conditions, not feeling great and became very demotivated, got slower and slower, and thus got more demotivated. I walked up a couple of hills that don't normally trouble me. A lot of it is in the head, not the legs. I didn't feel shame. I just felt cold, wet, miserable and tired.

Then there are also times when you know you simply HAVE to get off, like when your wheels won't grip because of wet leaves, or you suddenly pull an impromptu wheelie and fall off the back of your bike.

GuyBoden

Guru
I found that I needed to get a range of gears that matched my cycling technique/fitness (or lack of technique/fitness).

With 30 teeth on the back cassette and a 24 teeth front ring, I'll eventually, slowly, get to the top, there's no rush, I enjoy the view on the way.

I found that I needed to get a range of gears that matched my cycling technique/fitness (or lack of technique/fitness).

With 30 teeth on the back cassette and a 24 teeth front ring, I'll eventually, slowly, get to the top, there's no rush, I enjoy the view on the way.
Very true. The one thing that increases my urine temperature, like nothing else, is someone trying to get me to go more quickly than I planned. I'm not in some sort of race, I wouldn't enjoy it if I was.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I find it almost as difficult to walk up pushing the bike anyway, so use the rest and cycle method.
The trouble is that starting riding again on hills steep enough to have made you stop is often very difficult! If there is a side road or driveway that you can use to emerge from then it is not quite so bad.

As mentioned by various people above, the real answer is to fit low enough gears that you can cope with your local hills. The problems then are balancing when riding very slowly, keeping the front of the bike down, and not losing traction.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
The trouble is that starting riding again on hills steep enough to have made you stop is often very difficult! If there is a side road or driveway that you can use to emerge from then it is not quite so bad.

As mentioned by various people above, the real answer is to fit low enough gears that you can cope with your local hills. The problems then are balancing when riding very slowly, keeping the front of the bike down, and not losing traction.

Good point. I do remember pushing the last 20 yards or so up Jinny Lane because of that problem.
I'll ride all the way up it, one day.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I've never got off and pushed going down a hill in my life.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've never got off and pushed going down a hill in my life.
I have in Totterdown.... Just too steep for me!
image.jpg

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
No shame in getting off and pushing, but if you do one like Mow Cop and have to zig-zag all the way up the steep bit to shallow it out then by my reckoning you cant claim it.

Its a technical point, and one that I have made up.

AM1

I used to struggle up some steep climbs near me and went out of my way to avoid them but not anymore after fitting 11-32 cassette to both my road bikes

Top Bottom