Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having said that, I don't like to admit defeat and will endure almost any pain and distress to avoid having to walk :smile:
It's when the world starts to dim and the head starts to pound that I think I've overdone it and should have walked :laugh: Only done that once: learned my lesson :thumbsup: - it's only slightly better than riding fast through a blizzard when suffering from a cold and then collapsing inside the front door, scaring the other tenants :headshake: You'd never know I'm ill, would you? :laugh:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's when the world starts to dim and the head starts to pound that I think I've overdone it and should have walked :laugh: Only done that once: learned my lesson :thumbsup: - it's only slightly better than riding fast through a blizzard when suffering from a cold and then collapsing inside the front door, scaring the other tenants :headshake: You'd never know I'm ill, would you? :laugh:
I had a similar problem on a local hill once. I'd had a very heavy cold for about a week and got back on my bike too soon after 'recovering'. In fact I was still very weak. I went into severe distress when trying to ride up the hill and realised that I was about to collapse so I dismounted, put my bike over a dry stone wall and then fell over the wall and collapsed unconscious into a pile of leaves on the other side! I woke up some time later drenched in sweat and shivering violently. I went home and back to bed. I left it a couple of weeks before trying again ... :whistle:

Subotai72

.....I don't think so! If you give a hill your best and it defeats you, so what? Keep trying and you eventually get better at the hills, or at least thats my thought on the subject.

No doubt this will open a can of worms! What do others think?
I'm going to say 'No' but I can remember on occasion doing it and when I heard a car coming pretending that I had a punture or some sort of mechanical! I also recall sitting down on a grass bank taking a casual drink as if it was the most common thing in the World to do half way up a steep(ish) hill!

@Accy cyclist that's a distressing video, but very relevant. I suppose an equivalent is the strava rider who died trying to beat his best time.[/QUOTE]
if it's that video of Tom Simpson, it bears no real relevance ( he was off his head on amphetamines and brandy). I've got no problems with stopping on a hill, but walking your bike up, is not something I'll ever do, if I'm on my bike, I'll ride up, if I wanted to walk up, I wouldn't bring my bike.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
There are a few hills in my home area on which I sometimes grind to a halt. If it happens I hurriedly unclip and get a foot down. I'll rest until breathing somewhere near normal, then crest the hill, doing a very passable impression of Contador :wahhey:.
I got diagnosed mild asthma or COPD last week, so now have more motivation to improve fitness to compensate.
I find it almost as difficult to walk up pushing the bike anyway, so use the rest and cycle method.

bpsmith

Veteran
Personally, I will never give in on a hill. Absolutely no way I am stopping or pushing.

Do I judge anyone else for their choice?

Hell no. Have no opinion on whether others do or not. Everyone has their own reason for doing so.

Top Bottom