Hit by a pedestrian!

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by BlueBird, 12 Feb 2018.

1. BlueBird

BlueBird Member

Sorry but I need to voice my frustrations!!!! I just nearly died due to a pedestrian! She was fine but I ended up flying off my bike. If it wasnt for my helmet I would have probably died. Luckily I only got away with stitches and an injured knee. Why dont pedestrians respect cyclists!? Why do they just walk around the cycling lanes totally ignoring incoming traffic. The thing is she wasnt even in my line she just saw me suddenly and ran infront of the bike!!!! Whats the point of these bicycle superhighways of pedestrians just continue to walk around oblivious to the world around them.

2. Drago

Drago Guru

:popcorn:

3. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

:popcorn:

Leodis, Pat "5mph", Tin Pot and 3 others like this.
  4. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this......

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  6. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

How's the bike?

7. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Pedestrians are the royalty of travellers, kings or queens, we must respect them and exercise caution in their presence.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
    hoopdriver likes this.
  8. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Leodis, BlueBird, Siclo and 4 others like this.
  9. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I believe the shock reflex can account for a touch of hyperbole.

Welcome to the forum @BlueBird . Sorry to hear about your incident and glad to hear that you are by and large OK. You will no doubt be about to encounter some robust opinions about helmet use and pedestrian priority so maybe make yourself a cup of tea, take a few deep breaths and have a bit of a think about what happened, how you have written about it, and what you are looking for from this thread. It's good to get a rant off your chest, but bear in mind that the reaction to it is unlikely to be entirely uncritical.

10. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

This is why I almost never ride on shared footpaths or cyclepaths that are popular with pedestrians and dog walkers. There is at least some measure of predictability with motorists. Guessing what a pedestrian is likely to do is like trying to guess which way a frog will hop.

11. Ho hum !!!

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  12. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Was she ok though?

You might want to consider some third party indemnity insurance if riding in busy (central London?) areas. London Cycling campaign offer for a tenner

Also get a loud bell and be prepared to shout

Remember as a cyclist you need to consider more vulnerable road users, ie peds. Just like motorbikes, cars, trucks, buses etc (are meant to) consider pedal cyclists in shared places (the road)

Last edited: 12 Feb 2018
  13. Julia9054

Julia9054 Veteran

People are unpredictable. Hope you feel better soon and that she is ok too.
    I was cycling home from work about 6 months ago along a road where the pavement is edged by trees when, completely without warning, a bloke on crutches swung into my path from behind a tree. I screeched to a halt with inches to spare. When we both stopped screaming, we burst out laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of what nearly happened.
    I wonder how he broke his leg in the first place!

14. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Or even more controversial like using it as a pedestrian repellent.

15. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Sorry but I need to voice my frustrations!!!! I just nearly died due to a cyclist! She was fine but I ended up flying off my motorbike. If it wasnt for my helmet I would have probably died. Luckily I only got away with stitches and an injured knee. Why dont cyclists respect motorbikers!? Why do they just ride around the carriageway lanes totally ignoring incoming traffic. The thing is she wasnt even in my line she just saw me suddenly and rode infront of the motorbike!!!! Whats the point of these A roads if cyclists just continue to ride around oblivious to the world around them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice