Hit by a pedestrian!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The scythe blade is the wrong profile & it appears to be missing the lower handle.
I know. You really were going through a rough patch then.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hello and welcome @BlueBird
A lot of us have been there. I was 'run into' by a wayward Ped who sent me flying. He decided to just run between two parked cars. Luckily for me there was no traffic coming from the other direction. Lucky for him it wasn't a car or a motorbike.

J1888

Über Member
Welcome @BlueBird - glad that both you and the pedestrian are not badly injured.

Unfortunately, I find that cycling is full of hazards such as motor vehicles, pedestrians stepping out, other cyclists being daft.

Only yesterday on the superhighway from Blackfriars Bridge towards Ludgate Circus, a young chap ran straight across the superhighway without looking, with the cyclist in front of me having to brake sharply - thankfully we were pootling and there was nothing coming the other way. Close though!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Tis nothing unusual, they step out blindly in front of cars as well, even noisy, chuggy old Land Rovers that can't really sneak up on anybody. They do this even when they are not staring at their phones! :wacko:
It is just one of the many hazards that a wheeled road user has to watch out for. There are many, many other threads about appropriate behaviour/speeds for shared use cycle paths. I suggest that if you hurt yourself so badly in this case then you may have been going way to fast for the situation. Learn the lesson and move on.

Welcome to the forum :becool:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It is just one of the many hazards that a wheeled road user has to watch out for. There are many, many other threads about appropriate behaviour/speeds for shared use cycle paths. I suggest that if you hurt yourself so badly in this case then you may have been going way to fast for the situation. Learn the lesson and move on.

Welcome to the forum :becool:
The OP mentions a cycle superhighway rather than a path. Of course, it's still shared use, like carriageways theoretically are too, so you still have to beware people entering it, but much of the guff emitted on this site about shared use paths is even less relevant than usual.

And seeing as everyone is being too darned polite, I'll say it: that hat is about as likely to have hurt you as protected, see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cyclechat-helmet-debate-thread.187059/

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've hit 3 peds so far, without any significant damage.
2 were in an on-road cycle lane, crossing through stationary traffic from the right, immediately in front of a vehicle too high to see over.
The 3rd was crossing the road from the right, and decided to stop to light a cigarette in the cycle lane between the pavement and a traffic management island. With only about 75 cm between kerbs, dodging wasn't an option, and he'd decided to stop after I'd passed the minimum stopping distance.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

The OP mentions a cycle superhighway rather than a path. Of course, it's still shared use, like carriageways theoretically are too, so you still have to beware people entering it, but much of the guff emitted on this site about shared use paths is even less relevant than usual.

And seeing as everyone is being too darned polite, I'll say it: that hat is about as likely to have hurt you as protected, see https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-cyclechat-helmet-debate-thread.187059/

I neve wore a helmet up until two weeks ago. I'm really thankful that I did. A helmet doesn't help in every situation. But in this case since I landed on my knee and then somehow landed on the back of my head really hard. My helmet cracked my head didnt. Now, I'm not going anywhere without my helmet. Lol but it is really personal preference and if you are hit by a truck I'm sure a helmet will not make a difference. Cheers.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Or for a sensible view on helmets go to any MTB forum

Siclo

Veteran
I hit a pedestrian at full tilt (well about 30 kph) a couple of years ago, apparently he stepped out from between a parked van and car looking left as I was looking back over my shoulder, we both flew a long way down the road, I was amazed he got up and wandered off. The bike was only a few weeks old, I've since replaced the badly scratched shifter just for aesthetics.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Sorry but I need to voice my frustrations!!!! I just nearly died due to a pigeon! It was fine but I ended up ducking quite vehemently. If it wasnt for my bobble hat I would have probably died. Luckily I only got away with stitches and an injured knee. Why dont pigeons respect pedestrians!? Why do they just fly around the carriageway lanes totally ignoring incoming traffic. The thing is it wasnt even in my line it just saw me suddenly and flew infront of my foot!!!! Whats the point of these footways if pigeons just continue to fly around oblivious to the world around them.

Julia9054

Guru
Sorry but I need to voice my frustrations!!!! I just nearly died due to a pigeon! It was fine but I ended up ducking quite vehemently. If it wasnt for my bobble hat I would have probably died. Luckily I only got away with stitches and an injured knee. Why dont pigeons respect pedestrians!? Why do they just fly around the carriageway lanes totally ignoring incoming traffic. The thing is it wasnt even in my line it just saw me suddenly and flew infront of my foot!!!! Whats the point of these footways if pigeons just continue to fly around oblivious to the world around them.
Many years ago, my friend Tina and I were running for a bus in Glasgow. It was a very windy day and the street was lined with tall buildings. Tina was a few paces ahead of me when a seagull took off from the roof of one of the buildings, totally misjudged the wind and came clattering down on Tina's head, knocking her off her feet. The bird gathered itself and flew off leaving us doubled over with laughter. We missed the bus!

Top Bottom