Hit by a pedestrian!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
People are unpredictable. Hope you feel better soon and that she is ok too.
I was cycling home from work about 6 months ago along a road where the pavement is edged by trees when, completely without warning, a bloke on crutches swung into my path from behind a tree.

True. I'd a similar experience. I was well off the beaten track in a pretty remote part of a forest and two blokes emerged from some bushes as I passed on my MTB. Close call.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used to cycle between our shop and workshop about half a mile apart several times a day in a tourist orientated town. Hoopdrivers comments about which way frogs jump about sums it up. I did however expect peds to wander in front with their backs to me. I had front brakes which screamed loudly when applied quickly. I never tried to fix them but I was afraid I might cause heart attacks when the offending peds jumped several feet in the air from shock.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

I believe the shock reflex can account for a touch of hyperbole.

Welcome to the forum @BlueBird . Sorry to hear about your incident and glad to hear that you are by and large OK. You will no doubt be about to encounter some robust opinions about helmet use and pedestrian priority so maybe make yourself a cup of tea, take a few deep breaths and have a bit of a think about what happened, how you have written about it, and what you are looking for from this thread. It's good to get a rant off your chest, but bear in mind that the reaction to it is unlikely to be entirely uncritical.

Thank you! You're right I'v calmed down slightly now. Im sure there are people who would be criticial but its fine I just needed to have $!$@÷#++ moment lol.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

Welcome @BlueBird You may find you get some boisterous answers to your post. You've certainly made an entrance! But we're quite a nice bunch really.

Still, it could have been worse. You could have posted something really controversial, like suggesting the use of WD40 as a chain lubricant. ;)

Thank you!

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

Was she ok though?

You might want to consider some third party indemnity insurance if riding in busy (central London?) areas. London Cycling campaign offer for a tenner

Also get a loud bell and be prepared to shout

Remember as a cyclist you need to consider more vulnerable road users, ie peds. Just like motorbikes, cars, trucks, buses etc (are meant to) consider pedal cyclists in shared places (the road)

Thank you for the tips! Im getting a horn and insurance definitely. Thankfully she was fine.

Slick

Guru
Sorry but I need to voice my frustrations!!!! I just nearly died due to a pedestrian! She was fine but I ended up flying off my bike. If it wasnt for my helmet I would have probably died. Luckily I only got away with stitches and an injured knee. Why dont pedestrians respect cyclists!? Why do they just walk around the cycling lanes totally ignoring incoming traffic. The thing is she wasnt even in my line she just saw me suddenly and ran infront of the bike!!!! Whats the point of these bicycle superhighways of pedestrians just continue to walk around oblivious to the world around them.
Hi BlueBird and welcome to the forum.:welcome:

Sorry to hear of your woes, I hope you, the bike and the ped make a full recovery. :thumbsup:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@BlueBird. Trying to break the land speed record.

pjd57

Veteran
Being careful, looking all around, having a bell etc etc all become meaningless when a person or dog run into you, as opposed to the other way round.

Never had a person succeed in their mission to knock me off.
A few have tried but somehow I evaded them.

One dog did manage to charge side on into my wheels. Slight damage to mudguard .
The owner seemed unconcerned at the damage , simply saying "the dogs ok"

A few swear words were muttered as I pedalled off.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Welcome.

Years ago I had a slapstick moment going down Oxford street. Maybe 10+ years ago when TFL still ran the Roadster buses (open back corner with pole and conductor) where you could jump on and off whilst still in motion.

Still with me?

Anyway: I was whizzing alongside a bus on my bike, and one of the passengers ‘alighted’ from the moving bus, flattening me in an instant. We had a quiet moment together in our tangled heap, just staring at each other, whilst she just sat on top of me. Then she just got up and left.

Story of my life.

Isn't it Valentine’s Day this week?

One of the funniest things I ever saw happened to a bloke riding about fifty yards in front of me. Our route was part of NCN 1 and was right beside a football pitch

Can you guess what happened?? It did involve a stray football

However, it didnt knock him off but without breaking its pedal motion, said cyclist headed the ball back towards the pitch. I had to stop I was laughing so much and some of the footballers applauded him. He just cycled off into the distance

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi Bluebird and welcome to Cycle Chat. First and foremost I'm glad that no serious injuries where sustained to both of you. Saying that though it must of been quite a shock and very painful coming off your bike like you did..Pedestrians ,just like motorists and cyclists can be equally unpredictable as each other and my only advice is to never assume they will do ,what you think they should do. In a busy environment like a city though, I can imagine it's hard work constantly being on your guard ,as the worst usually happens when your distracted momentarily. I suppose you can only reduce such situations by buying a horn to alert them and insuring your self against such incidents.
I hope you feel better soon and that this bad experience hasn't put you off cycling buddy.

Top Bottom