Hit & Run - 15 year old..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
My son, who is 15 was in an accident with a car on Saturday. He's an experienced cyclist, many 1000's of road miles under him, member of our local club and also races.

On Saturday he was hit whilst on a island by a boy racer who took out his back wheel when joining the island from a junction. He'd been out on a 40 mile training ride and was 500 meters from home.

He went down hard. The low life in the car didn't even stop to check that he was ok. Just drove off sharpish.

There were witnesses but no one got the registration number unfortunately they were more concerned with the state of my son, for which I will be forever grateful for.

As for my son, he's come off lightly. Spent the night in hospital but the CT scan confirmed no major injuries only severe bruising to his ribs, hip/pelvis and some minor road rash. There's probably £800 plus worth of damage to his bike and clothing which can all be replaced.

I'm just so angry that the $%£^ will get away with just driving off not giving a dam about someone else's life.

/rant

vickster

Legendary Member
:sad:
Presumably the police will he checking CCTV
You can start a claim for compensation via MIB

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
:sad:
Presumably the police will he checking CCTV
You can start a claim for compensation via MIB

Nope, apparently they wont. The team that would of usually dealt with that have been disbanded and put to work on Covid-19 related duties.. case closed :sad:

Whats MIB ?
EDIT: Just googled, I have house insurance that should cover the bike and clothing. So i'm wondering if its better to go that route rather than MIB ?

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Nope, apparently they wont. The team that would of usually dealt with that have been disbanded and put to work on Covid-19 related duties.. case closed :sad:

That's awful that they won't investigate a hit and run resulting in a casualty. I'm shocked.

I'm glad your son hasn't suffered anything too major.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
EDIT: Just googled, I have house insurance that should cover the bike and clothing. So i'm wondering if its better to go that route rather than MIB ?

You could claim via your house insurance. However that'll be recorded and up the premium for the next 3 years. Unfortunately there's no good outcome either way :sad:

How bad's the bike? Carbon repairers can often repair damage. Other bits can be replaced as needed.

One of my son's team-mates was pushed off his bike yesterday whilst out riding: it's happening all too often.

I feel for you @jamin100 , happened to my daughter twice, one of them seemingly on purpose! also happened to me. Seems some drivers care more about their license and points than another human being . Trouble is without evidence the police can do nothing. I now have cameras front and back at nearly all times. Makes you mad and feeling helpless hope your lad is not put off too much and GWS.

DSK

Sad to hear of this but, lets be grateful the injuries were not worse.

Lets hope karma dished out something suitable to the offender.

May be best to get a couple of drift ghost cameras (1 helmet and 1 facing the rear) on the next bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

Wishing your son a speedy recovery, the driver is a S**tb*g, I wonder if he had license, insurance etc?

Top Bottom