Hitting a pedestrian

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
It's a road, it's my right of way by law. I could have ridden right into them but I didn't because I'm not an arse, it still does not make them any less obnoxious.

The common law right of passage and repassage on the public highway is a right held by people, not just by car drivers. Or cyclists. If you had "ridden right into them" you would be denying them the exercise of exactly the same right that you are so eager to claim for yourself.

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3162960, member: 45"]Do you ride in the door zone?[/QUOTE]

Does 'door zone' mean the space in which an open car door can get in the way?

In the example, obviously, otherwise there would be no collision.

In real life, yes because a lot of the roads I cycle on are narrow, and I choose cycling in 'the door zone' over 'waiting for a never ending stream of oncoming traffic to go' and 'riding at oncoming traffic'

I suppose he's asking because it's a very common cause of injury to cyclists.

Between 2009-2011, 1,587 cyclists were injured as a result of vehicle doors opening into their path, 224 of them seriously - a further two cyclists were killed.

So, while you might never ride in a door zone, it's a wholly pertinent question that reflects the real world and is a valid comparison with a pedestrian suddenly entering the path of a vehicle.

GC

Cyclists can be forced into the door zone by a close overtake, a passing car sideswipes the rider and to avoid a collision the cyclist rides in the door zone. It doesn't help that all over LBWF the cycle lanes are painted slap bang in the door zone.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is that a yes, a no, it depends, or don't know answer to my question?

GC
My answer to your question, and the only pragmatic real world response to the situation, is "Don't ride in the door zone" but you didn't see fit to include that in your list of 'acceptable' responses for some reason.

I can't think why not.

Learnincurve

This is why I pre-empted my reply with the highway code as regards to pedestrians. People here are picking and choosing bits that they like and throwing out bits that they don't like. You have one line saying that cyclists have to give way, and I don't know what part of the code that comes from although I have a feeling it's the bit that talks about the times you have pedestrians sharing paths with cyclists/horses.

I don't have to cherry pick lines, I have a entire section of the highway code saying that pedestrians have to follow the green cross code and not walk out in front of anything on the road which will then force the bike/car/bus/200 ton lorry to avoid them. I'm not saying that you wouldn't avoid hitting them if they do walk out in front of you no matter if you were walking yourself or doing 120 mph but it's absolutely categorically their fault if you do and It's a bit special that people are arguing that they should be allowed to just blindly walk out into the road and if they get hit by a cyclist then it's the cyclist's fault to be honest.

Again: https://www.gov.uk/rules-pedestrians-1-to-35/general-guidance-1-to-6

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cyclists can be forced into the door zone by a close overtake, a passing car sideswipes the rider and to avoid a collision the cyclist rides in the door zone. It doesn't help that all over LBWF the cycle lanes are painted slap bang in the door zone.
One of the many reasons I frequently forsake cycle lanes. All the cycle lanes I can think of locally run through the door zone. Useless.

I'm quite happy to block cars behind me and/or route myself away from double parking/door zone hell. I accept everyone can't do that. Local drivers don't seem to be much bothered by my blocking, maybe they 'get it'?

I'd get hooted at, I think the roads called Alexandra Road in Leyton, single lane, cycle lane in the door zone so I ignore it and it puzzles and confuses idiot drivers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This is why I pre-empted my reply with the highway code as regards to pedestrians. People here are picking and choosing bits that they like and throwing out bits that they don't like. You have one line saying that cyclists have to give way, and I don't know what part of the code that comes from although I have a feeling it's the bit that talks about the times you have pedestrians sharing paths with cyclists/horses.

I don't have to cherry pick lines, I have a entire section of the highway code saying that pedestrians have to follow the green cross code and not walk out in front of anything on the road which will then force the bike/car/bus/200 ton lorry to avoid them. I'm not saying that you wouldn't avoid hitting them if they do walk out in front of you no matter if you were walking yourself or doing 120 mph but it's absolutely categorically their fault if you do and It's a bit special that people are arguing that they should be allowed to just blindly walk out into the road and if they get hit by a cyclist then it's the cyclist's fault to be honest.

Again: https://www.gov.uk/rules-pedestrians-1-to-35/general-guidance-1-to-6
You do get that the bits for pedestrians are just advice/guidance not law? Else we'd all get banged up for not wearing our Sam Browne's at night when walking back from the pub.

The weakness of the HC when it comes to vulnerable road users is that it assumes motor transport is king of the hill and everyone else has to modify their natural behaviour to acknowledge that. The HC is a product of UK car culture just as much as the 'hot hatch' of yesteryear.

I'd get hooted at, I think the roads called Alexandra Road in Leyton, single lane, cycle lane in the door zone so I ignore it and it puzzles and confuses idiot drivers.
That whole one-way system is a fudging nightmare. Apparently the cycle lanes for that bit cost £1m.

Dan B

Disengaged member
So, let's assume I have a speed on 10m/s and the pedestrian a speed of 5m/s

There is a collision because the pedestrian unexpectedly, illogically and without warning stepped out in front on my bike.

You are arguing that I "chose" to hit the pedestrian at 10m/s.

Now let's put the pedestrian in a car. I'm still cycling past as 10m/s

There is a collision because the person in the car unexpectedly, illogically and without warning opened their car door in front of my bike.

Are you arguing that I "chose" to hit the car door at 10m/s?

10 m/s is 22 mph, which around here is probably fast enough to quite comfortably take the lane on any road with parked cars on it

Learnincurve

You do get that the bits for pedestrians are just advice/guidance not law?

You do get that for the most part they have the exact same legal weight as the rules for cyclists in a court of law? The only bits that are actual law are the ones that say "you must" looks like the part that sig quote comes from is about unsegregated tracks and not the road just as I thought.

https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 3163086, member: 45"]Yes they are. Anyhow...[/QUOTE]
Yes, anyhow ...

According to the rationale you posted earlier, it would be the fault of the cyclist for going to fast to avoid it, unless you want to explain the distinction between someone doing something unpredictable on foot and someone doing something unpredictable sitting in a car.

Is that a fair summary?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yes, anyhow ...

According to the rationale you posted earlier, it would be the fault of the cyclist for going to fast to avoid it, unless you want to explain the distinction between someone doing something unpredictable on foot and someone doing something unpredictable sitting in a car.

Is that a fair summary?
You're cycling along a road. You notice that there is a driver sat in a car some way in front of you. If he opens his door, is that truly unpredictable? I'd say it's quite high up on the list of "What happens next?".

Similarly, you're cycling along a road. There's a pedestrian on the pavement. They begin to turn to face the road. Again is it truly unpredictable that they may step into the road?

Top Bottom