Hitting the wall !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been reading some research on this subject as we have all no doubt been there. Anyhow, they are saying that if you can push yourself when you hit the wall and perhaps give it max lash for around 30 mins. Although you may feel like total crap, it does actually increase your stamina and fitness and you will be able to go on for a longer period next time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is a bit like 'man flu' isn't it? If you have real flu, there is no discussion about it.

If you really hit the wall, you are not going to be doing very much at all. The first time it happened to me I couldn't even walk with my bike, let alone ride it. In fact I found myself looking at the bike trying to work out what it was but somehow my brain wasn't functioning properly.

I once found myself at a crossroads unable to figure out how to cycle across, so I had to push the bike over and take in emergency rations when I got to the other side.

yello

ColinJ said:
This is a bit like 'man flu' isn't it? If you have real flu, there is no discussion about it.

I think you're right. I've gotten tired and needed to eat something but can pretty safely say I've never bonked. Not anything like the descriptions I've read on it anyway. I also find it pretty hard to believe it could be good for you. I suspect there are much safer ways to increase your stamina!

Ravenz

Nicensleazy said:
Just been reading some research on this subject as we have all no doubt been there. Anyhow, they are saying that if you can push yourself when you hit the wall

FAR too simplistic, you need to read more around the subject...

'hitting the wall' is when body reaches state of near collapse.. and 'v bad thing' eg lack of glucose ... impairment of mental funtionality.. lack of calcium et all .. dysfuntionality of muscle action..

what you are describing is not hitting the wall.. but hi intensity interval training .. lactate threshold training... loads of other methods to increase fitness levels at 'elite' levels

montage

God Almighty
The concept of hitting the wall and then being painless is an absolute lode of bollocks.
If you are able to "brave on" after hitting the wall, you have not hit the wall. The only way to understand "the wall" is to push your body to the absolute limit, realise this is not your limit, and push it harder. When this is acheived, and you are virtually blacking out with pain, then you understand the wall.

Best of luck :biggrin:

woohoo

Veteran
I “hit the wall” many years ago and I had no idea what was going on except that I knew was in trouble and about to pass out . I was very grateful to be helped by my mates but it really frightened me. Since then I’ve been totally knackered on many occasions and it just isn’t in the same league.

jimboalee

You're not alone WooHoo.

I 'Hit the wall' in 1997. I was on a 300km Midlands Mesh between Oakham and Lutterworth. I had completed 257 km and was on the way home. It was pissing down with rain and I was soaked through, riding against a 20 mph headwind.
I had struggled to climb a hill, freewheeled down the other side, only to be faced with another hill. I forced myself, in agony, and the next thing I knew I was lying on the grass bank with my hands holding the bars and my shoes still in the clips. 15 minutes had gone by, which I have no recollection of.
I was looking closeup at a wet pink thistle, but had absolutely no clue what it was. I thought it was an Angel.:biggrin:

I lay there for about half an hour before I could get on my feet.
The route changed to Leicester Railway station. Alternate 15 minutes riding and 15 minutes walking.

Since then, I have done some studying.

OP
OP
N

Nicensleazy

Well it was American research.....I did wonder how you could go on for 30 mins when you are in that kind of state, you would end up under a car!

Tynan

Veteran
yes but jumbo, you should have pushed on at max intensity for 30 minutes

tsk

Big John

Guru
Whyt do we do it? Push ourselves to the limit, I mean. I finished the Potteries Marathon back in 1986 I think it was. It was 81 degrees when we started and got hotter. I remember lying on the grass in the Italian Gardens at Trentham about 10 yards past the finish line, surrounded by thousands of cartons of orange juice, courtesy of Dale Farm Dairies. I just lay there on the grass looking up at the sky and wondering what was going on. I was thirsty but couldn't raise my arms to pick up a carton. I could see my parents and the wife and kids standing behind the barriers and couldn't move. They couldn't help and I couldn't get up. I reckon we all need some serious therapy.

jimboalee

There was another occassion on a 200 Rando in 1995 from Wall Heath, nr Wombourne. Out to mid Wales. It suddenly pissed down and I got drenched. I did the wrong thing and carried on in a totally miserable state.
My body felt fine but half my mind was wanting me to stop.

I was drenched and my shoes had filled with rain water. The result was I suffered Plantar Fasciitis for a week and a half, grovelling round on hands and knees.

Lesson learned - Listen to body AND mind.

trio25

Über Member
Carry on for 30minutes???

If you have truely bonked you are probably lay on the ground. I enjoyed Colins tale it reminded me of my own first longish ride.

At the time I had got up to a 8mile loop round edale, so I decided one day to cycle to sheffield, I had brought some chocolate and a water bottle. On the way back I got to Hope 35miles later and ended up lay on the grass, after struggling into a shop and getting chocolate, they rang the hostel where I worked and someone came and got me, I couldn't have cycled that 2miles! They then fed me and I was fine!

Top Bottom