Holey Frame!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As my good lady has just pointed out, that bike replaced one where the stem broke between the fork crown and top, previous owner of that one used to clean it with a jetwash - none too gently! I went over the top, necessitating an overnight stay in hospital and a week off work. She has come around to the idea if a new one, so this may go to recycle. I wonder if it would be ok as a bike on a turbo-trainer?
I do remember that the stem was difficult to remove a few years ago and I had to resort to some serious effort, think I removed seat and used Stilsons on it.

It will be OK on a turbo - just use your clamp 'bodge' I wouldn't use that frame on the road.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Could you put a jubilee clip around the frame where the L shaped hole is? I would have thought that would be very strong.

Jubilee-316-Original-Hose-Clips.jpg

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
After having a look in good light and with the seatpost removed, the damage looks a lot worse, and even thought the seatpost is 32.5cm long with about 30cm in the tube I`m not sure that I have faith in it over the rough stuff. Consequently we have decided that a new bike is in order. The only question is brand new ( Rockrider ST 520 ) or used with all the risks.

Just go and get another old Raleigh MTB of the same era with a Reynolds 501 frame like yours. You will then be able to transfer over the new parts you've bought. I've got two 501 MTBs of this era and both cost peanuts and are rock solid bikes. As already mentioned, yours was probably butchered by some muppet with a stuck seatpost, the frames are generally well-regarded for durability. The only problem I've heard of with them is isolated failures of the seatstay to seat tube brazing, but only on the largest 23" frames. I have 21" and 23" sizes and both of mine are sound. I would choose the old Raleigh over a B'Twin every time.

Top Bottom